[Hammock Camping] Re: Giving Up

  • Brona
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 10, 2007
      The NPS-AT Web site states that horses are not allowed. The AT is a
      foot trail for foot traffic. However if you hike the trail, you
      will find dogs and other "pets". There are some areas where horse
      trails cross the AT and packstock/horses are allowed there.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Randal Swink" <rswink@...>
      wrote:

      > So, what animals do they allow to use the trail?
      >

      > On 8/9/07, Brona <i_reiki_u2@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Steve, Then you can appreciate the kind of time and training
      that
      > > goes into having goats. A part of my mind keeps saying "fight
      this,
      > > it isn't right!" and then the other 3/4's says "the battle is too
      > > large and not worth it, just go hike."
      > > It looks like hopefully this winter/fall we might be heading
      out
      > > your way....hike, visit family, Mexico for dental work, etc. It
      > > would be great if you know of some trails that we "just can't
      miss"
      > > to get some information from you.
      > > Hopefully our trails will cross,
      > > Brona and Thomas
      > > Buddah and Cosmo
      > >
      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Galchutt"

      > > > Me too Brona!
      > > >
      > > > Especially since I'm also a goat packer! I love my goats and
      > > > love to take them back packing. They are the best trail buddies
      > > > imaginable. Low impact, non aggressive, quiet gentle creatures
      who
      > > > love to hike and explore with me while helping carry the load!
      > > >
      > > > I'm always sorry to hear about goats being banded from an area!
      > > Hope
      > > > there's a good reason?! But NPS and NFS have their 'rules'
      which
      > > > sometimes make sense and sometimes it's all political nonsense
      (BS)
      > > > IMHO. The problem is we have to play by their rules or beg
      > > forgiveness
      > > > and/or pay their fines!
      > > >
      > > > Best of Luck! Hope you find your rig!
      > > >
      > > > Cheers, Steve in CO
      > > > http://www.angelfire.com/planet/goatman
      > > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Brona
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 10, 2007
        You are correct, GSMNP does not allow any animals. Nor does
        Baxter. However, prior to starting on the AT and knowing the rules
        for GSMNP, I emailed and asked if service animals are allowed on the
        AT through their park. The reply was:

        "Sent: Monday, May 08, 2006 2:26 PM
        Subject: service animals on A.T. in Smokies

        Park regulations allow for service animals on trails. Generally
        proof is not required as need is apparent although most service
        animals do have certification papers.
        George Minnigh
        Park Ranger"

        Brona

        -- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Stuhr, Tim" <tstuhr@...>
        wrote:

        > I don't think the Smoky Mtn. NP allows any animals to use the
        trail.
        > But I could be wrong.

      • Brona
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 10, 2007
          Tim,
          Thanks for sending the dates. We will look into it and see if we
          can get there. Hopefully, it will be cooler.
          Brona

          > hopefuly yall can make it to hot springs (sept 14-16). i know of
          several that plan to be there.
          > and hopefuly, it'll be cooler by then. ...tim
          >
          > Brona <i_reiki_u2@...> wrote:
          > We remember meeting you at Hot Springs. If you remember our
          little
          > trailer and the red Toyota truck, well, you won't be seeing either
          > again. And if you do see either, let us know. Better yet, tie them
          > to the nearest tree.
          >
          > Hopefully this winter we will be able to get out again. Right now
          > it is just too hot to even think about hitting any trail for us.
          >
          > Look forward to seeing you again, maybe in Hot Springs.
          > Brona
          >
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > really sorry to hear that brona.
          > > i meet you at one of ed & karen's camp outs at hot springs last
          > year.
          > > i don't know what to say except that those that are supposed
          > to be managing our resources, usually forget where their
          priorities
          > are supposed to be.
          > > but i hope you'll continue to take advantage of all the
          > trails you can. ...tim
          > >

          > > Brona wrote:
          > > I have put off writing this for sometime now trying to decide
          > just
          > > what is the best course of action. (For those of you who don't
          > > know, I have been in an arm wrestling match with the NPS to
          allow
          > my
          > > Registered Service Animals, which are goats, to be on the trail
          > thus
          > > allowing me access to the AT.)
          > > The AT community has become somewhat of a family for me and
          hiking
          > > on the AT - a passion. Yes, there are other trails but none like
          > > the AT and it is sooooo close for me. Yes, there may be other
          > > communities but none like the folks associated with the AT.
          > > Everyone on this group is special.
          > > It seems that the NPS has the upper, larger hand when it comes
          > > this arm wrestling match. I am out here all alone. There seems
          > > be no group, organization, lawyer, etc wishing to assist me.
          Even
          > > the ACLU doesn't tackle this kind of thing! This is not a fight
          > > can fight alone. My health is too fragile. My time is too
          > > valuable.
          > > I am making the decision to spend my time quietly in the woods
          > > somewhere else other than fighting a seemingly pointless,
          useless,
          > > endless battle. I have no desire to be a poster child for this
          > > battle.
          > > What the NPS has done is illegal and a slap in the face for all
          > > disabled people. I have asked for nothing more than to let me
          hike
          > > the trail. What I ask the NPS for costs them no money or time.
          The
          > > NPS did give me an alternative (which they legally have to do).
          > > That is to allow the group size to increase so that I could have
          > > other people carry my things for me. What an insult! Not to
          speak
          > > of what additional people would do to the trail compared to my
          > > service animals. And that act would also take away my
          independance
          > > which the service animals provide. Even if I didn't prefer the
          > > solitude of the trail, I can't afford to "hire" anyone to go
          with
          > > me. Besides, not many people want to be on the trail during the
          > > winter/colder months. I was also told by the NPS that I could
          not
          > > be on the AT period but could be on the other trails that cross
          > the
          > > AT. This in effect is closing the entire AT park to me and that
          is
          > > also illegal.
          > > It would be great to be a "normal" person without the need for
          > > Service Animals. To have the freedom to be able to go and do
          > > without the extra baggage associated with being "imperfect". To
          be
          > > able to do things "normal" people can do. But I am not. I am me
          > > and this is what I have in my life and what I have to deal with.
          > If
          > > I had a choice, I wouldn't choose the extra burden of having to
          > deal
          > > with service animals on the trail. I too would prefer to have
          > > nothing more than my own pack on my back.
          > >
          > > An update on the theft of our truck and camping trailer from
          > > Damascus, VA: There is nothing new except that now that the
          Police
          > > Chief has been arrested for illegal activity, we wonder if their
          > > might be some ties to the auto thefts in the area as they did
          tell
          > > us where to park and that it would be safe. The truck and
          trailer
          > > have not been located. I currently have my SUV for sale so that
          > > can purchase a replacement truck which I have found. Also, I am
          > > looking for a slide-in camper for a short bed truck. The service
          > > animals will be in their pull along trailer as before.
          > >
          > > Thanks to all and enjoy!
          > > Brona
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Bonnie
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 11, 2007
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Brona" <i_reiki_u2@...> wrote:

            > I have put off writing this for sometime now trying to decide just
            > what is the best course of action. (For those of you who don't
            > know, I have been in an arm wrestling match with the NPS to allow my
            > Registered Service Animals, which are goats, to be on the trail thus
            > allowing me access to the AT.)

            Hi Brona,
            I understand your feelings. I have mobility issues and I am amazed at
            the blatant disregard of ADA laws by our government. Right now though
            I wanted to pass on some links you might find interesting.

            Scroll down to the end of the page where it says GOT YOUR GOAT
            http://www.bmta.org/NewsItems.htm#NewsNo2

            http://www.motherearthnews.com/Livestock-and-Farming/2002-06-01/Want-Milk-Get-Goats.aspx

            Enjoy the woods,
            Bonnie
          • Brona
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 14, 2007
              Bonnie,
              Thanks for the links. I agree that at this moment, even with the
              ADA laws, most government agencies feel that they can make up their
              own rules and regs-specially if they are also under the Department
              of Justice, Department of Interior.
              Brona

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bonnie" <treehugger@...>