Giving Up

  • Brona
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 6, 2007
      I have put off writing this for sometime now trying to decide just
      what is the best course of action. (For those of you who don't
      know, I have been in an arm wrestling match with the NPS to allow my
      Registered Service Animals, which are goats, to be on the trail thus
      allowing me access to the AT.)
      The AT community has become somewhat of a family for me and hiking
      on the AT - a passion. Yes, there are other trails but none like
      the AT and it is sooooo close for me. Yes, there may be other
      communities but none like the folks associated with the AT.
      Everyone on this group is special.
      It seems that the NPS has the upper, larger hand when it comes to
      this arm wrestling match. I am out here all alone. There seems to
      be no group, organization, lawyer, etc wishing to assist me. Even
      the ACLU doesn't tackle this kind of thing! This is not a fight I
      can fight alone. My health is too fragile. My time is too
      valuable.
      I am making the decision to spend my time quietly in the woods
      somewhere else other than fighting a seemingly pointless, useless,
      endless battle. I have no desire to be a poster child for this
      battle.
      What the NPS has done is illegal and a slap in the face for all
      disabled people. I have asked for nothing more than to let me hike
      the trail. What I ask the NPS for costs them no money or time. The
      NPS did give me an alternative (which they legally have to do).
      That is to allow the group size to increase so that I could have
      other people carry my things for me. What an insult! Not to speak
      of what additional people would do to the trail compared to my
      service animals. And that act would also take away my independance
      which the service animals provide. Even if I didn't prefer the
      solitude of the trail, I can't afford to "hire" anyone to go with
      me. Besides, not many people want to be on the trail during the
      winter/colder months. I was also told by the NPS that I could not
      be on the AT period but could be on the other trails that cross the
      AT. This in effect is closing the entire AT park to me and that is
      also illegal.
      It would be great to be a "normal" person without the need for
      Service Animals. To have the freedom to be able to go and do
      without the extra baggage associated with being "imperfect". To be
      able to do things "normal" people can do. But I am not. I am me
      and this is what I have in my life and what I have to deal with. If
      I had a choice, I wouldn't choose the extra burden of having to deal
      with service animals on the trail. I too would prefer to have
      nothing more than my own pack on my back.

      An update on the theft of our truck and camping trailer from
      Damascus, VA: There is nothing new except that now that the Police
      Chief has been arrested for illegal activity, we wonder if their
      might be some ties to the auto thefts in the area as they did tell
      us where to park and that it would be safe. The truck and trailer
      have not been located. I currently have my SUV for sale so that I
      can purchase a replacement truck which I have found. Also, I am
      looking for a slide-in camper for a short bed truck. The service
      animals will be in their pull along trailer as before.

      Thanks to all and enjoy!
      Brona
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 6, 2007
        really sorry to hear that brona.
        i meet you at one of ed & karen's camp outs at hot springs last year.
        i don't know what to say except that those that are supposed to be managing our resources, usually forget where their priorities are supposed to be.
        but i hope you'll continue to take advantage of all the trails you can. ...tim

      • Steve Galchutt
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 6, 2007
          > really sorry to hear that brona.

          Me too Brona!

          Especially since I'm also a goat packer! I love my goats and
          love to take them back packing. They are the best trail buddies
          imaginable. Low impact, non aggressive, quiet gentle creatures who
          love to hike and explore with me while helping carry the load!

          I'm always sorry to hear about goats being banded from an area! Hope
          there's a good reason?! But NPS and NFS have their 'rules' which
          sometimes make sense and sometimes it's all political nonsense(BS)
          IMHO. The problem is we have to play by their rules or beg forgiveness
          and/or pay their fines!

          Best of Luck! Hope you find your rig!

          Cheers, Steve in CO
          http://www.angelfire.com/planet/goatman
        • Brona
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 9, 2007
            We remember meeting you at Hot Springs. If you remember our little
            trailer and the red Toyota truck, well, you won't be seeing either
            again. And if you do see either, let us know. Better yet, tie them
            to the nearest tree.

            Hopefully this winter we will be able to get out again. Right now
            it is just too hot to even think about hitting any trail for us.

            Look forward to seeing you again, maybe in Hot Springs.

          • Brona
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 9, 2007
              Steve, Then you can appreciate the kind of time and training that
              goes into having goats. A part of my mind keeps saying "fight this,
              it isn't right!" and then the other 3/4's says "the battle is too
              large and not worth it, just go hike."
              It looks like hopefully this winter/fall we might be heading out
              your way....hike, visit family, Mexico for dental work, etc. It
              would be great if you know of some trails that we "just can't miss"
              to get some information from you.
              Hopefully our trails will cross,
              Brona and Thomas
              Buddah and Cosmo

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Galchutt"

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 9, 2007
                hopefuly yall can make it to hot springs (sept 14-16). i know of several that plan to be there.
                and hopefuly, it'll be cooler by then. ...tim

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 9, 2007
                  So, what animals do they allow to use the trail?

                  On 8/9/07, Brona <i_reiki_u2@...> wrote:

                  > Steve, Then you can appreciate the kind of time and training that
                  > goes into having goats. A part of my mind keeps saying "fight this,
                  > it isn't right!" and then the other 3/4's says "the battle is too
                  > large and not worth it, just go hike."
                  > It looks like hopefully this winter/fall we might be heading out
                  > your way....hike, visit family, Mexico for dental work, etc. It
                  > would be great if you know of some trails that we "just can't miss"
                  > to get some information from you.
                  > Hopefully our trails will cross,
                  > Brona and Thomas
                  > Buddah and Cosmo
                  >
                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Galchutt"
                  > <s2ranch@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > really sorry to hear that brona.
                  > >
                  > > Me too Brona!
                  > >
                  > > Especially since I'm also a goat packer! I love my goats and
                  > > love to take them back packing. They are the best trail buddies
                  > > imaginable. Low impact, non aggressive, quiet gentle creatures who
                  > > love to hike and explore with me while helping carry the load!
                  > >
                  > > I'm always sorry to hear about goats being banded from an area!
                  > Hope
                  > > there's a good reason?! But NPS and NFS have their 'rules' which
                  > > sometimes make sense and sometimes it's all political nonsense(BS)
                  > > IMHO. The problem is we have to play by their rules or beg
                  > forgiveness
                  > > and/or pay their fines!
                  > >
                  > > Best of Luck! Hope you find your rig!
                  > >
                  > > Cheers, Steve in CO
                  > > http://www.angelfire.com/planet/goatman

                • Stuhr, Tim
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 9, 2007
                    I don't think the Smoky Mtn. NP allows any animals to use the trail.
                    But I could be wrong.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 10, 2007
                      The NPS-AT Web site states that horses are not allowed. The AT is a
                      foot trail for foot traffic. However if you hike the trail, you
                      will find dogs and other "pets". There are some areas where horse
                      trails cross the AT and packstock/horses are allowed there.

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Randal Swink" <rswink@...>
                      wrote:

                      > So, what animals do they allow to use the trail?
                      >

                      > On 8/9/07, Brona <i_reiki_u2@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Steve, Then you can appreciate the kind of time and training
                      that
                      > > goes into having goats. A part of my mind keeps saying "fight
                      this,
                      > > it isn't right!" and then the other 3/4's says "the battle is too
                      > > large and not worth it, just go hike."
                      > > It looks like hopefully this winter/fall we might be heading
                      out
                      > > your way....hike, visit family, Mexico for dental work, etc. It
                      > > would be great if you know of some trails that we "just can't
                      miss"
                      > > to get some information from you.
                      > > Hopefully our trails will cross,
                      > > Brona and Thomas
                      > > Buddah and Cosmo
                      > >
                      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Galchutt"

                      > > > Me too Brona!
                      > > >
                      > > > Especially since I'm also a goat packer! I love my goats and
                      > > > love to take them back packing. They are the best trail buddies
                      > > > imaginable. Low impact, non aggressive, quiet gentle creatures
                      who
                      > > > love to hike and explore with me while helping carry the load!
                      > > >
                      > > > I'm always sorry to hear about goats being banded from an area!
                      > > Hope
                      > > > there's a good reason?! But NPS and NFS have their 'rules'
                      which
                      > > > sometimes make sense and sometimes it's all political nonsense
                      (BS)
                      > > > IMHO. The problem is we have to play by their rules or beg
                      > > forgiveness
                      > > > and/or pay their fines!
                      > > >
                      > > > Best of Luck! Hope you find your rig!
                      > > >
                      > > > Cheers, Steve in CO
                      > > > http://www.angelfire.com/planet/goatman
                      > > >

                      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Brona
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 10, 2007
                        You are correct, GSMNP does not allow any animals. Nor does
                        Baxter. However, prior to starting on the AT and knowing the rules
                        for GSMNP, I emailed and asked if service animals are allowed on the
                        AT through their park. The reply was:

                        "Sent: Monday, May 08, 2006 2:26 PM
                        Subject: service animals on A.T. in Smokies

                        Park regulations allow for service animals on trails. Generally
                        proof is not required as need is apparent although most service
                        animals do have certification papers.
                        George Minnigh
                        Park Ranger"

                        Brona

                        -- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Stuhr, Tim" <tstuhr@...>
                        wrote:

                        > I don't think the Smoky Mtn. NP allows any animals to use the
                        trail.
                        > But I could be wrong.

                      • Brona
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 10, 2007
                          Tim,
                          Thanks for sending the dates. We will look into it and see if we
                          can get there. Hopefully, it will be cooler.
                          Brona

> [...]
                          > > I had a choice, I wouldn't choose the extra burden of having to
                          > deal
                          > > with service animals on the trail. I too would prefer to have
                          > > nothing more than my own pack on my back.
                          > >
                          > > An update on the theft of our truck and camping trailer from
                          > > Damascus, VA: There is nothing new except that now that the
                          Police
                          > > Chief has been arrested for illegal activity, we wonder if their
                          > > might be some ties to the auto thefts in the area as they did
                          tell
                          > > us where to park and that it would be safe. The truck and
                          trailer
                          > > have not been located. I currently have my SUV for sale so that
                          > > can purchase a replacement truck which I have found. Also, I am
                          > > looking for a slide-in camper for a short bed truck. The service
                          > > animals will be in their pull along trailer as before.

                        • Bonnie
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 11, 2007
                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Brona" <i_reiki_u2@...> wrote:

                            > I have put off writing this for sometime now trying to decide just
                            > what is the best course of action. (For those of you who don't
                            > know, I have been in an arm wrestling match with the NPS to allow my
                            > Registered Service Animals, which are goats, to be on the trail thus
                            > allowing me access to the AT.)

                            Hi Brona,
                            I understand your feelings. I have mobility issues and I am amazed at
                            the blatant disregard of ADA laws by our government. Right now though
                            I wanted to pass on some links you might find interesting.

                            Scroll down to the end of the page where it says GOT YOUR GOAT
                            http://www.bmta.org/NewsItems.htm#NewsNo2

                            http://www.motherearthnews.com/Livestock-and-Farming/2002-06-01/Want-Milk-Get-Goats.aspx

                            Enjoy the woods,
                            Bonnie
                          • Brona
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 14, 2007
                              Bonnie,
                              Thanks for the links. I agree that at this moment, even with the
                              ADA laws, most government agencies feel that they can make up their
                              own rules and regs-specially if they are also under the Department
                              of Justice, Department of Interior.
                              Brona

                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bonnie" <treehugger@...>