Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: noob here! Hi

  • Garry
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2007
      Hi Boonie,
      I ride a BMW R1200GS, just finished making a rear storage platform to carry my over packing camping gear! Taking a friend who is tenting it so I will carry his gear too since he is on a wee sport bike. I had a nighthawk too, fun bike.
      I don't have the knees for bicycle trip although it sounds fun too.

      Bonnie <treehugger@...> wrote: --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Garry" <garryjirvine@...> wrote:

      > Just joined and wanted to say hi, just got an ENO double nest with bug
      > net and waiting on dryfly. Plan on taking a 3 day hammock camping
      > motorcycle trip soon.

      Hi Garry,
      I'm new to the group as well. Your trip will be a blast I just know
      it. Can't wait to read all about it. My husband and I are thinking of
      doing a bicycle trip on the Virginia Creeper Trail. I'm panting just
      thinking about it. The motorcycle sounds like a better idea to me.
      What kind of bike do you ride? In my younger days I rode a Honda
      Nighthawk 350.

      Bonnie

    • Bonnie
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2007
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, John Wilson <navjohn@...> wrote:

        > On Jul 31, 2007, at 12:34 PM, Bonnie wrote:
        >
        > > My husband and I are thinking of
        > > doing a bicycle trip on the Virginia Creeper Trail. I'm panting just
        > > thinking about it.
        >
        > But not nearly as much as you'll be panting if you ride UP the trail
        > to Whitetop Mountain :-) But on the other hand, if you get a shuttle
        > in Damascus to Whitetop and ride down, you won't pant at all. In
        > fact, you won't even have to pedal if you don't want to -- it's
        > downhill all the way, and an absolutely beautiful ride. Plus (to
        > keep this post on topic) there are several good places to get off the
        > trail and sling your hammock for a nice nap, or overnight, if you'd
        > like. If you can arrange it at all, go during the week for a much
        > less crowded experience. There are several shuttle companies in
        > Damascus that will take you and your bike, or rent you one of theirs.
        >
        > John

        Thanks John. I love Damascus. I saw the cyclists on the Creeper. Cool
        to know that we are able camp overnight. I prefer the downhill.
        Believe me I will pant doing that!!!