sleeping on hiking poles

  • gerzson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2007
      Hello,

      On Saturday night I have tried to sleep on my hiking poles as a
      support for one end of the hammock. I lashed the handles together
      using their straps and arranged the points on the ground to form a
      triangle. Then I ran the support line over the lashing and tied it to
      a tree a few meters away.
      The poles supported me (about 75kg) extended at full length but I have
      noticed an alarming bend in them. Then I shortened them a bit (I have
      a pair of three segment telescopic poles) and the bend was
      unnoticeable. I slept that way without any problems until morning.
      This can be employed over the tree line or when it is difficult to
      find trees or proper hanging points.

      gerzson