Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: noob here! Hi

  • John Wilson
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2007
      On Jul 31, 2007, at 12:34 PM, Bonnie wrote:

      > My husband and I are thinking of
      > doing a bicycle trip on the Virginia Creeper Trail. I'm panting just
      > thinking about it.

      But not nearly as much as you'll be panting if you ride UP the trail
      to Whitetop Mountain :-) But on the other hand, if you get a shuttle
      in Damascus to Whitetop and ride down, you won't pant at all. In
      fact, you won't even have to pedal if you don't want to -- it's
      downhill all the way, and an absolutely beautiful ride. Plus (to
      keep this post on topic) there are several good places to get off the
      trail and sling your hammock for a nice nap, or overnight, if you'd
      like. If you can arrange it at all, go during the week for a much
      less crowded experience. There are several shuttle companies in
      Damascus that will take you and your bike, or rent you one of theirs.

      John

    • Garry
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 31, 2007
        Hi Boonie,
        I ride a BMW R1200GS, just finished making a rear storage platform to carry my over packing camping gear! Taking a friend who is tenting it so I will carry his gear too since he is on a wee sport bike. I had a nighthawk too, fun bike.
        I don't have the knees for bicycle trip although it sounds fun too.

        Bonnie <treehugger@...> wrote: --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Garry" <garryjirvine@...> wrote:

        > Just joined and wanted to say hi, just got an ENO double nest with bug
        > net and waiting on dryfly. Plan on taking a 3 day hammock camping
        > motorcycle trip soon.

        Hi Garry,
        I'm new to the group as well. Your trip will be a blast I just know
        it. Can't wait to read all about it. My husband and I are thinking of
        doing a bicycle trip on the Virginia Creeper Trail. I'm panting just
        thinking about it. The motorcycle sounds like a better idea to me.
        What kind of bike do you ride? In my younger days I rode a Honda
        Nighthawk 350.

        Bonnie

      • Bonnie
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2007
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, John Wilson <navjohn@...> wrote:

          > On Jul 31, 2007, at 12:34 PM, Bonnie wrote:
          >
          > > My husband and I are thinking of
          > > doing a bicycle trip on the Virginia Creeper Trail. I'm panting just
          > > thinking about it.
          >
          > But not nearly as much as you'll be panting if you ride UP the trail
          > to Whitetop Mountain :-) But on the other hand, if you get a shuttle
          > in Damascus to Whitetop and ride down, you won't pant at all. In
          > fact, you won't even have to pedal if you don't want to -- it's
          > downhill all the way, and an absolutely beautiful ride. Plus (to
          > keep this post on topic) there are several good places to get off the
          > trail and sling your hammock for a nice nap, or overnight, if you'd
          > like. If you can arrange it at all, go during the week for a much
          > less crowded experience. There are several shuttle companies in
          > Damascus that will take you and your bike, or rent you one of theirs.
          >
          > John

          Thanks John. I love Damascus. I saw the cyclists on the Creeper. Cool
          to know that we are able camp overnight. I prefer the downhill.
          Believe me I will pant doing that!!!