Re: noob here! Hi

  • Bonnie
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2007
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Garry" <garryjirvine@...> wrote:

      > Just joined and wanted to say hi, just got an ENO double nest with bug
      > net and waiting on dryfly. Plan on taking a 3 day hammock camping
      > motorcycle trip soon.

      Hi Garry,
      I'm new to the group as well. Your trip will be a blast I just know
      it. Can't wait to read all about it. My husband and I are thinking of
      doing a bicycle trip on the Virginia Creeper Trail. I'm panting just
      thinking about it. The motorcycle sounds like a better idea to me.
      What kind of bike do you ride? In my younger days I rode a Honda
      Nighthawk 350.

      Bonnie
    • John Wilson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 31, 2007
        On Jul 31, 2007, at 12:34 PM, Bonnie wrote:

        > My husband and I are thinking of
        > doing a bicycle trip on the Virginia Creeper Trail. I'm panting just
        > thinking about it.

        But not nearly as much as you'll be panting if you ride UP the trail
        to Whitetop Mountain :-) But on the other hand, if you get a shuttle
        in Damascus to Whitetop and ride down, you won't pant at all. In
        fact, you won't even have to pedal if you don't want to -- it's
        downhill all the way, and an absolutely beautiful ride. Plus (to
        keep this post on topic) there are several good places to get off the
        trail and sling your hammock for a nice nap, or overnight, if you'd
        like. If you can arrange it at all, go during the week for a much
        less crowded experience. There are several shuttle companies in
        Damascus that will take you and your bike, or rent you one of theirs.

        John

      • Garry
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 31, 2007
          Hi Boonie,
          I ride a BMW R1200GS, just finished making a rear storage platform to carry my over packing camping gear! Taking a friend who is tenting it so I will carry his gear too since he is on a wee sport bike. I had a nighthawk too, fun bike.
          I don't have the knees for bicycle trip although it sounds fun too.

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1, 2007
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, John Wilson <navjohn@...> wrote:

            > On Jul 31, 2007, at 12:34 PM, Bonnie wrote:
            >
            > > My husband and I are thinking of
            > > doing a bicycle trip on the Virginia Creeper Trail. I'm panting just
            > > thinking about it.
            >
            > But not nearly as much as you'll be panting if you ride UP the trail
            > to Whitetop Mountain :-) But on the other hand, if you get a shuttle
            > in Damascus to Whitetop and ride down, you won't pant at all. In
            > fact, you won't even have to pedal if you don't want to -- it's
            > downhill all the way, and an absolutely beautiful ride. Plus (to
            > keep this post on topic) there are several good places to get off the
            > trail and sling your hammock for a nice nap, or overnight, if you'd
            > like. If you can arrange it at all, go during the week for a much
            > less crowded experience. There are several shuttle companies in
            > Damascus that will take you and your bike, or rent you one of theirs.
            >
            > John

            Thanks John. I love Damascus. I saw the cyclists on the Creeper. Cool
            to know that we are able camp overnight. I prefer the downhill.
            Believe me I will pant doing that!!!