1st time was almost stinky

  • daugdo2
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 30, 2007
      I read an article in Wilderness Way Magazine about how to make your own
      hammock. It sounded like a great idea so I spent a couple of months
      making one wiht a bugscreen and a rainfly and getting everything just
      right. I took it out this june for the 1st time in my back yard. I
      was feeling prety good about myself until I heard a noise outside my
      hammock. I did not have to look to know that I would see a skunk. but
      I peeked anyway and saw a big,fat skunk staring back at me. I listed
      to him (or her) scratching around me (and under me!)for 15 minutes
      before it moved off. Could have been worse!
    • Bonnie
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 31, 2007
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "daugdo2" <dau122@...> wrote:

        > I peeked anyway and saw a big,fat skunk staring back at me. I listed
        > to him (or her) scratching around me (and under me!)for 15 minutes
        > before it moved off. Could have been worse!

        My heart races whenever critters start getting under the hammock. I
        always think it's a racoon that will try to climb in with me. But it's
        the big noises that make me afraid to even peek out sometimes.

        On my first overnight I awoke to a beautiful great Blue Heron fishing
        in the lake about 15 yards away. When it flew away I knew in my heart
        that my hammock and I were going to be great companions.
      • dt king
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2007
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "daugdo2" <dau122@...> wrote:

          > I peeked anyway and saw a big,fat skunk staring back at me. I listed
          > to him (or her) scratching around me (and under me!)for 15 minutes
          > before it moved off. Could have been worse!

          Ha! First time I slept out, I heard a critter shuffling around in the
          distance, passing under the hammock and moving on. I could be
          mistaken, but skunks have a distinctive foraging sound. The don't
          have to be stealthy or fast. In my mind it was a 15 pounder, but you
          really can tell by the rustling in the leaves.

          David King