noob here! Hi

  • Garry
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 30, 2007
      Just joined and wanted to say hi, just got an ENO double nest with bug
      net and waiting on dryfly. Plan on taking a 3 day hammock camping
      motorcycle trip soon.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 30, 2007
        welcome to the group garry. i hope we can help you w/ your hammocking adventures. ...tim

        Garry <garryjirvine@...> wrote: Just joined and wanted to say hi, just got an ENO double nest with bug
        net and waiting on dryfly. Plan on taking a 3 day hammock camping
        motorcycle trip soon.

      • Bonnie
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 31, 2007
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Garry" <garryjirvine@...> wrote:

          > Just joined and wanted to say hi, just got an ENO double nest with bug
          > net and waiting on dryfly. Plan on taking a 3 day hammock camping
          > motorcycle trip soon.

          Hi Garry,
          I'm new to the group as well. Your trip will be a blast I just know
          it. Can't wait to read all about it. My husband and I are thinking of
          doing a bicycle trip on the Virginia Creeper Trail. I'm panting just
          thinking about it. The motorcycle sounds like a better idea to me.
          What kind of bike do you ride? In my younger days I rode a Honda
          Nighthawk 350.

          Bonnie
        • John Wilson
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 31, 2007
            On Jul 31, 2007, at 12:34 PM, Bonnie wrote:

            > My husband and I are thinking of
            > doing a bicycle trip on the Virginia Creeper Trail. I'm panting just
            > thinking about it.

            But not nearly as much as you'll be panting if you ride UP the trail
            to Whitetop Mountain :-) But on the other hand, if you get a shuttle
            in Damascus to Whitetop and ride down, you won't pant at all. In
            fact, you won't even have to pedal if you don't want to -- it's
            downhill all the way, and an absolutely beautiful ride. Plus (to
            keep this post on topic) there are several good places to get off the
            trail and sling your hammock for a nice nap, or overnight, if you'd
            like. If you can arrange it at all, go during the week for a much
            less crowded experience. There are several shuttle companies in
            Damascus that will take you and your bike, or rent you one of theirs.

            John

          • Garry
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 31, 2007
              Hi Boonie,
              I ride a BMW R1200GS, just finished making a rear storage platform to carry my over packing camping gear! Taking a friend who is tenting it so I will carry his gear too since he is on a wee sport bike. I had a nighthawk too, fun bike.
              I don't have the knees for bicycle trip although it sounds fun too.

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 1, 2007
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, John Wilson <navjohn@...> wrote:

                > On Jul 31, 2007, at 12:34 PM, Bonnie wrote:
                >
                > > My husband and I are thinking of
                > > doing a bicycle trip on the Virginia Creeper Trail. I'm panting just
                > > thinking about it.
                >
                > But not nearly as much as you'll be panting if you ride UP the trail
                > to Whitetop Mountain :-) But on the other hand, if you get a shuttle
                > in Damascus to Whitetop and ride down, you won't pant at all. In
                > fact, you won't even have to pedal if you don't want to -- it's
                > downhill all the way, and an absolutely beautiful ride. Plus (to
                > keep this post on topic) there are several good places to get off the
                > trail and sling your hammock for a nice nap, or overnight, if you'd
                > like. If you can arrange it at all, go during the week for a much
                > less crowded experience. There are several shuttle companies in
                > Damascus that will take you and your bike, or rent you one of theirs.
                >
                > John

                Thanks John. I love Damascus. I saw the cyclists on the Creeper. Cool
                to know that we are able camp overnight. I prefer the downhill.
                Believe me I will pant doing that!!!