Re: [Hammock Camping] A Big Hello

  • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 29, 2007
      > > I know a local place that's almost 378 feet above sea level. How
      > > much cooler do you think it will be there? ;^)
      >
      > Well, lets see . . . The average cooling rate with increasing
      > altitude is 4 degrees f. for each 1,000 feet. So you should expect a
      > blissful cool down of 1.5 degrees -- in other words, from 95 to
      > 93.5. Be sure to take a sweater.

      Unfortunately that's about the only altitude we have here. I think I'll leave my sweater and take my fan.

      Brian
      T-Back

      The most valuable things in life are free. They are gifts of grace and are ours for the asking...walk in faith.
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 29, 2007
        bonnie... i think that would be fun & helpful to have an occasional get-together for those close enough. i know of at least two hammockers in W-S, one in greensboro. then there are others a little further away... duram, charlotte, fayetteville, ect, but i'm not sure how often they check in here on this forum. they're more active on <http://hammockforums.net>
        i'll let them know of the invitation, or you could drop in on that forum & introduce your self.
        ...tim

        Bonnie <treehugger@...> wrote:

        > i live south of winston-salem & there are several other hammockers
        not to far away.
        > hopefully we can help yall fine tune the art of hammocking if
        you have questions.

        > i & a lot of others have learned to be perfectly warm &
        comfortable sleeping in a hammock in the teens lower. some claim the
        single digits & lower.

        Hi and a beautiful day to all.
        If y'all would like to meet at my house in Greensboro (Quarterly
        perhaps) to share stories and the like our door is open. I have a
        house off of Battleground Ave but it has a huge back yard with big
        trees. We could do demos and what ever. Very informal. So think about
        it folks. Is there a local group meeting.

        I think, after reading your responses and all of the injuries we have
        I found the right group!!!
        I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome which is a collagen disorder. There are
        about 10 types and mine is the hyper-mobile type. My joints are very
        loose so I have severe arthritis. Had a total hip replacement at 46.
        Three shoulder surgeries. Two of them were reconstructions. So I'm
        very aware of pain management issues and trying to stay active in
        nature to keep what we have going for us healthy. Nature really is a
        mother to us. Spending time in my hammock is like a giant hug.
        Earplugs help tremendously in my yard though.

        David and I are going to the New River next Wednesday.

        Thank you all for your tips and responding. I have a lot to learn. I
        have not experienced tis much joy while camping in years.

        Always In Nature,
        Bonnie

      • Bonnie
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 31, 2007

          > bonnie... i think that would be fun & helpful to have an
          occasional get-together for those close enough. i know of at least two
          hammockers in W-S, one in greensboro. then there are others a little
          further away... duram, charlotte, fayetteville, ect, but i'm not sure
          how often they check in here on this forum. they're more active on
          <http://hammockforums.net>

          Thanks Tim. I'll check it out. I met a fellow at REI in greensboro who
          said there was a club meeting for an annual outing in a local state
          park. I think it was Stone Mt. Have you heard of it?
          Bonnie
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 31, 2007
            if you are asking if i've herd of stone mt, N.C., yes. i've been there quite a few times.
            it's a nice state park w/ some interesting features & not to far away.
            i'm sure yall would enjoy it. ...tim