Re: [Hammock Camping] A Big Hello

    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 28, 2007
      yep, the hammock is the perfect place for my back. and if anyone still has enough sensitivity in their back to feel that the taught stretched hammock body is still to firm, i highly recommend one of the thicker air mats w/ insulation inside.
      the key to camping in the summer heat is to go for the highest elevation you can get to.
      just keep in mind that water isn't always available in the highest places. and keep an eye out for those thunder storms. ...tim

      Steve Brettell <sbrettell@...> wrote:
      Tim,

      Though your note was addressed to Bonnie, I had to chip in with a "Me Too."
      I fell and broke two vertebrae about 4 months ago, and it revealed
      rheumatoid arthritis has started up. Hammocks work, though. I ain't doing
      too much hiking as yet, but going to the mountains of Pennsylvania next
      week. This time of year it'll probably be in the 90s in that area.

      Steve,
      Maryland

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 29, 2007
        > the key to camping in the summer heat is to go for the highest elevation you can get to.
        > just keep in mind that water isn't always available in the highest places. and keep an eye out for those thunder storms. ...tim

        I know a local place that's almost 378 feet above sea level. How much cooler do you think it will be there? ;^)

        Brian
        The most valuable things in life are free. They are gifts of grace and
        > are ours for the asking...walk in faith.
      • Bonnie
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 29, 2007
          > i live south of winston-salem & there are several other hammockers
          not to far away.
          > hopefully we can help yall fine tune the art of hammocking if
          you have questions.

          > i & a lot of others have learned to be perfectly warm &
          comfortable sleeping in a hammock in the teens lower. some claim the
          single digits & lower.

          Hi and a beautiful day to all.
          If y'all would like to meet at my house in Greensboro (Quarterly
          perhaps) to share stories and the like our door is open. I have a
          house off of Battleground Ave but it has a huge back yard with big
          trees. We could do demos and what ever. Very informal. So think about
          it folks. Is there a local group meeting.

          I think, after reading your responses and all of the injuries we have
          I found the right group!!!
          I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome which is a collagen disorder. There are
          about 10 types and mine is the hyper-mobile type. My joints are very
          loose so I have severe arthritis. Had a total hip replacement at 46.
          Three shoulder surgeries. Two of them were reconstructions. So I'm
          very aware of pain management issues and trying to stay active in
          nature to keep what we have going for us healthy. Nature really is a
          mother to us. Spending time in my hammock is like a giant hug.
          Earplugs help tremendously in my yard though.

          David and I are going to the New River next Wednesday.

          Thank you all for your tips and responding. I have a lot to learn. I
          have not experienced tis much joy while camping in years.

          Always In Nature,
          Bonnie
        • John Wilson
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 29, 2007
            On Jul 29, 2007, at 8:34 AM, <opnheartscrub@...>
            <opnheartscrub@...> wrote:

            > I know a local place that's almost 378 feet above sea level. How
            > much cooler do you think it will be there? ;^)

            Well, lets see . . . The average cooling rate with increasing
            altitude is 4 degrees f. for each 1,000 feet. So you should expect a
            blissful cool down of 1.5 degrees -- in other words, from 95 to
            93.5. Be sure to take a sweater.

            John

          • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 29, 2007
              > > I know a local place that's almost 378 feet above sea level. How
              > > much cooler do you think it will be there? ;^)
              >
              > Well, lets see . . . The average cooling rate with increasing
              > altitude is 4 degrees f. for each 1,000 feet. So you should expect a
              > blissful cool down of 1.5 degrees -- in other words, from 95 to
              > 93.5. Be sure to take a sweater.

              Unfortunately that's about the only altitude we have here. I think I'll leave my sweater and take my fan.

              Brian
              T-Back

              The most valuable things in life are free. They are gifts of grace and are ours for the asking...walk in faith.
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 29, 2007
                maybe 1/4°f <G> but maybe you'll catch a breeze<GG>

                opnheartscrub@... wrote: > the key to camping in the summer heat is to go for the highest elevation you can get to.

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 29, 2007
                  bonnie... i think that would be fun & helpful to have an occasional get-together for those close enough. i know of at least two hammockers in W-S, one in greensboro. then there are others a little further away... duram, charlotte, fayetteville, ect, but i'm not sure how often they check in here on this forum. they're more active on <http://hammockforums.net>
                  i'll let them know of the invitation, or you could drop in on that forum & introduce your self.
                  ...tim

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 31, 2007

                    > bonnie... i think that would be fun & helpful to have an
                    occasional get-together for those close enough. i know of at least two
                    hammockers in W-S, one in greensboro. then there are others a little
                    further away... duram, charlotte, fayetteville, ect, but i'm not sure
                    how often they check in here on this forum. they're more active on
                    <http://hammockforums.net>

                    Thanks Tim. I'll check it out. I met a fellow at REI in greensboro who
                    said there was a club meeting for an annual outing in a local state
                    park. I think it was Stone Mt. Have you heard of it?
                    Bonnie
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 31, 2007
                      if you are asking if i've herd of stone mt, N.C., yes. i've been there quite a few times.
                      it's a nice state park w/ some interesting features & not to far away.
                      i'm sure yall would enjoy it. ...tim