Re: [Hammock Camping] A Big Hello

  • Steve Brettell
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 28, 2007
      Tim,

      Though your note was addressed to Bonnie, I had to chip in with a "Me Too."
      I fell and broke two vertebrae about 4 months ago, and it revealed
      rheumatoid arthritis has started up. Hammocks work, though. I ain't doing
      too much hiking as yet, but going to the mountains of Pennsylvania next
      week. This time of year it'll probably be in the 90s in that area.

      Steve,
      Maryland

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 28, 2007
        yep, the hammock is the perfect place for my back. and if anyone still has enough sensitivity in their back to feel that the taught stretched hammock body is still to firm, i highly recommend one of the thicker air mats w/ insulation inside.
        the key to camping in the summer heat is to go for the highest elevation you can get to.
        just keep in mind that water isn't always available in the highest places. and keep an eye out for those thunder storms. ...tim

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 29, 2007
          > the key to camping in the summer heat is to go for the highest elevation you can get to.
          > just keep in mind that water isn't always available in the highest places. and keep an eye out for those thunder storms. ...tim

          I know a local place that's almost 378 feet above sea level. How much cooler do you think it will be there? ;^)

          Brian
          The most valuable things in life are free. They are gifts of grace and
          > are ours for the asking...walk in faith.
        • Bonnie
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 29, 2007
            > i live south of winston-salem & there are several other hammockers
            not to far away.
            > hopefully we can help yall fine tune the art of hammocking if
            you have questions.

            > i & a lot of others have learned to be perfectly warm &
            comfortable sleeping in a hammock in the teens lower. some claim the
            single digits & lower.

            Hi and a beautiful day to all.
            If y'all would like to meet at my house in Greensboro (Quarterly
            perhaps) to share stories and the like our door is open. I have a
            house off of Battleground Ave but it has a huge back yard with big
            trees. We could do demos and what ever. Very informal. So think about
            it folks. Is there a local group meeting.

            I think, after reading your responses and all of the injuries we have
            I found the right group!!!
            I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome which is a collagen disorder. There are
            about 10 types and mine is the hyper-mobile type. My joints are very
            loose so I have severe arthritis. Had a total hip replacement at 46.
            Three shoulder surgeries. Two of them were reconstructions. So I'm
            very aware of pain management issues and trying to stay active in
            nature to keep what we have going for us healthy. Nature really is a
            mother to us. Spending time in my hammock is like a giant hug.
            Earplugs help tremendously in my yard though.

            David and I are going to the New River next Wednesday.

            Thank you all for your tips and responding. I have a lot to learn. I
            have not experienced tis much joy while camping in years.

            Always In Nature,
            Bonnie
          • John Wilson
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 29, 2007
              On Jul 29, 2007, at 8:34 AM, <opnheartscrub@...>
              <opnheartscrub@...> wrote:

              > I know a local place that's almost 378 feet above sea level. How
              > much cooler do you think it will be there? ;^)

              Well, lets see . . . The average cooling rate with increasing
              altitude is 4 degrees f. for each 1,000 feet. So you should expect a
              blissful cool down of 1.5 degrees -- in other words, from 95 to
              93.5. Be sure to take a sweater.

              John

            • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 29, 2007
                > > I know a local place that's almost 378 feet above sea level. How
                > > much cooler do you think it will be there? ;^)
                >
                > Well, lets see . . . The average cooling rate with increasing
                > altitude is 4 degrees f. for each 1,000 feet. So you should expect a
                > blissful cool down of 1.5 degrees -- in other words, from 95 to
                > 93.5. Be sure to take a sweater.

                Unfortunately that's about the only altitude we have here. I think I'll leave my sweater and take my fan.

                Brian
                T-Back

                The most valuable things in life are free. They are gifts of grace and are ours for the asking...walk in faith.
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 29, 2007
                  maybe 1/4°f <G> but maybe you'll catch a breeze<GG>

                  opnheartscrub@... wrote: > the key to camping in the summer heat is to go for the highest elevation you can get to.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 29, 2007
                    bonnie... i think that would be fun & helpful to have an occasional get-together for those close enough. i know of at least two hammockers in W-S, one in greensboro. then there are others a little further away... duram, charlotte, fayetteville, ect, but i'm not sure how often they check in here on this forum. they're more active on <http://hammockforums.net>
                    i'll let them know of the invitation, or you could drop in on that forum & introduce your self.
                    ...tim

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 31, 2007

                      > bonnie... i think that would be fun & helpful to have an
                      occasional get-together for those close enough. i know of at least two
                      hammockers in W-S, one in greensboro. then there are others a little
                      further away... duram, charlotte, fayetteville, ect, but i'm not sure
                      how often they check in here on this forum. they're more active on
                      <http://hammockforums.net>

                      Thanks Tim. I'll check it out. I met a fellow at REI in greensboro who
                      said there was a club meeting for an annual outing in a local state
                      park. I think it was Stone Mt. Have you heard of it?
                      Bonnie
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 31, 2007
                        if you are asking if i've herd of stone mt, N.C., yes. i've been there quite a few times.
                        it's a nice state park w/ some interesting features & not to far away.
                        i'm sure yall would enjoy it. ...tim