A Big Hello

  • Bonnie
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 25 8:48 PM
      Hi Folks,
      Thanks so much for including me in your group. I love my hammock
      (Hennessy)and can't imagine sleeping on the ground again. I'm looking
      forward to getting to know everyone and sharing ideas. I live in
      Greensboro NC and so if anyone lives near me let me know. I just had
      shoulder reconstruction and that's put a real wet blanket on our
      summer. David, my hubby is new to this too and we favor fall for
      camping anyway so it's not that terrible but I didn't want to miss a
      chance to whine!
      Thanks Again,
      Bonnie
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 28 12:07 PM
        hey bonnie, welcome to the group. i like the cooler weather for camping too.
        i live south of winston-salem & there are several other hammockers not to far away.
        hopefully we can help yall fine tune the art of hammocking if you have questions.

        i & a lot of others have learned to be perfectly warm & comfortable sleeping in a hammock in the teens lower. some claim the single digits & lower.

        i lived through a broken back & a bunch of broken ribs in 2002. i recently took another fall & at first the er doc thought i had fractured another vertebra, but turns out they were seeing the past injury. i did get a cracked rib & some pretty traumatized back muscles though.
        but it's getting better every day. and the hammock is still the most comfortable place to sleep. ...tim

        Bonnie <treehugger@...> wrote:
        Hi Folks,
        Thanks so much for including me in your group. I love my hammock
        (Hennessy)and can't imagine sleeping on the ground again. I'm looking
        forward to getting to know everyone and sharing ideas. I live in
        Greensboro NC and so if anyone lives near me let me know. I just had
        shoulder reconstruction and that's put a real wet blanket on our
        summer. David, my hubby is new to this too and we favor fall for
        camping anyway so it's not that terrible but I didn't want to miss a
        chance to whine!
        Thanks Again,
        Bonnie

      • Steve Brettell
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 28 3:14 PM
          Tim,

          Though your note was addressed to Bonnie, I had to chip in with a "Me Too."
          I fell and broke two vertebrae about 4 months ago, and it revealed
          rheumatoid arthritis has started up. Hammocks work, though. I ain't doing
          too much hiking as yet, but going to the mountains of Pennsylvania next
          week. This time of year it'll probably be in the 90s in that area.

          Steve,
          Maryland

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 28 7:03 PM
            yep, the hammock is the perfect place for my back. and if anyone still has enough sensitivity in their back to feel that the taught stretched hammock body is still to firm, i highly recommend one of the thicker air mats w/ insulation inside.
            the key to camping in the summer heat is to go for the highest elevation you can get to.
            just keep in mind that water isn't always available in the highest places. and keep an eye out for those thunder storms. ...tim

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 29 5:34 AM
              > the key to camping in the summer heat is to go for the highest elevation you can get to.
              > just keep in mind that water isn't always available in the highest places. and keep an eye out for those thunder storms. ...tim

              I know a local place that's almost 378 feet above sea level. How much cooler do you think it will be there? ;^)

              Brian
              The most valuable things in life are free. They are gifts of grace and
              > are ours for the asking...walk in faith.
            • Bonnie
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 29 9:33 AM
                > i live south of winston-salem & there are several other hammockers
                not to far away.
                > hopefully we can help yall fine tune the art of hammocking if
                you have questions.

                > i & a lot of others have learned to be perfectly warm &
                comfortable sleeping in a hammock in the teens lower. some claim the
                single digits & lower.

                Hi and a beautiful day to all.
                If y'all would like to meet at my house in Greensboro (Quarterly
                perhaps) to share stories and the like our door is open. I have a
                house off of Battleground Ave but it has a huge back yard with big
                trees. We could do demos and what ever. Very informal. So think about
                it folks. Is there a local group meeting.

                I think, after reading your responses and all of the injuries we have
                I found the right group!!!
                I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome which is a collagen disorder. There are
                about 10 types and mine is the hyper-mobile type. My joints are very
                loose so I have severe arthritis. Had a total hip replacement at 46.
                Three shoulder surgeries. Two of them were reconstructions. So I'm
                very aware of pain management issues and trying to stay active in
                nature to keep what we have going for us healthy. Nature really is a
                mother to us. Spending time in my hammock is like a giant hug.
                Earplugs help tremendously in my yard though.

                David and I are going to the New River next Wednesday.

                Thank you all for your tips and responding. I have a lot to learn. I
                have not experienced tis much joy while camping in years.

                Always In Nature,
                Bonnie
              • John Wilson
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 29 11:21 AM
                  On Jul 29, 2007, at 8:34 AM, <opnheartscrub@...>
                  <opnheartscrub@...> wrote:

                  > I know a local place that's almost 378 feet above sea level. How
                  > much cooler do you think it will be there? ;^)

                  Well, lets see . . . The average cooling rate with increasing
                  altitude is 4 degrees f. for each 1,000 feet. So you should expect a
                  blissful cool down of 1.5 degrees -- in other words, from 95 to
                  93.5. Be sure to take a sweater.

                  John

                • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 29 1:26 PM
                    > > I know a local place that's almost 378 feet above sea level. How
                    > > much cooler do you think it will be there? ;^)
                    >
                    > Well, lets see . . . The average cooling rate with increasing
                    > altitude is 4 degrees f. for each 1,000 feet. So you should expect a
                    > blissful cool down of 1.5 degrees -- in other words, from 95 to
                    > 93.5. Be sure to take a sweater.

                    Unfortunately that's about the only altitude we have here. I think I'll leave my sweater and take my fan.

                    Brian
                    T-Back

                    The most valuable things in life are free. They are gifts of grace and are ours for the asking...walk in faith.
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 29 1:30 PM
                      maybe 1/4°f <G> but maybe you'll catch a breeze<GG>

                      opnheartscrub@... wrote: > the key to camping in the summer heat is to go for the highest elevation you can get to.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 29 1:42 PM
                        bonnie... i think that would be fun & helpful to have an occasional get-together for those close enough. i know of at least two hammockers in W-S, one in greensboro. then there are others a little further away... duram, charlotte, fayetteville, ect, but i'm not sure how often they check in here on this forum. they're more active on <http://hammockforums.net>
                        i'll let them know of the invitation, or you could drop in on that forum & introduce your self.
                        ...tim

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 31 9:16 AM

                          > bonnie... i think that would be fun & helpful to have an
                          occasional get-together for those close enough. i know of at least two
                          hammockers in W-S, one in greensboro. then there are others a little
                          further away... duram, charlotte, fayetteville, ect, but i'm not sure
                          how often they check in here on this forum. they're more active on
                          <http://hammockforums.net>

                          Thanks Tim. I'll check it out. I met a fellow at REI in greensboro who
                          said there was a club meeting for an annual outing in a local state
                          park. I think it was Stone Mt. Have you heard of it?
                          Bonnie
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 31 12:10 PM
                            if you are asking if i've herd of stone mt, N.C., yes. i've been there quite a few times.
                            it's a nice state park w/ some interesting features & not to far away.
                            i'm sure yall would enjoy it. ...tim