Re: [Hammock Camping] Stands

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 26, 2007
      Hi Ralph,

      The wood stand I have on my main page is cheap and works well. Cost is
      about $20 if I remember right. It takes some space to move it unless
      you do a lot of disassembly. It is perfect if you have a pickup.

      Ed's metal pipe version (version 2 with larger pipe) works well too. I
      have one that I put together. It is much easier to put this one in the
      trunk of a car. Unfortunately, the pieces cost me about $200. Weight
      is about 75 pounds, so it takes two trips to move the pieces when
      carried by hand.

      The version that I built from steel pipe does not have a brace across
      the bottom. It works fine on ground, but does not work well if used on
      a slippery surface.

      Rick

      Ralph Oborn wrote:
      > Anyone got some plans for some good portable hammock stands??
      >
      > I know we've had them here?
      >
      > Ralph

      Walk Well!

      Rick (Risk)

      *********************************
      http://www.imrisk.com
      author of
      A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
      www.wayahpress.com
      *********************************
    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 26, 2007
        On 7/26/07, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:

        > Hi Ralph,
        >
        > The wood stand I have on my main page is cheap and works well. Cost is
        > about $20 if I remember right. It takes some space to move it unless
        > you do a lot of disassembly. It is perfect if you have a pickup.
        >
        > Ed's metal pipe version (version 2 with larger pipe) works well too. I
        > have one that I put together. It is much easier to put this one in the
        > trunk of a car. Unfortunately, the pieces cost me about $200. Weight
        > is about 75 pounds, so it takes two trips to move the pieces when
        > carried by hand.
        >
        > The version that I built from steel pipe does not have a brace across
        > the bottom. It works fine on ground, but does not work well if used on
        > a slippery surface.
        >
        > Rick

        A friend of mine spent two years as a Mormon Missionary in Guatamala
        sleeping in a hammock. Now he's in back in college and misses the comfort,
        but he can't put holes in his apartment wall.

        I already had him looking at your plans, I'll look at the others also.

        Thanks (all)

        Ralph

      • Victor Beltran
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 27, 2007
          I made a stand out of 2x4 and bolts. It can be easily disassembled and
          transported although you'd need a big car or a pickup. Here is a link
          to the project:

          http://www.instructables.com/id/E1LDU89F4AQNVZ5/

          I am still working out a couple of stability concerns but overall it
          works.

          -VBP

          > Anyone got some plans for some good portable hammock stands??
          >
          > I know we've had them here?
          >
          > Ralph

        • Victor Beltran
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 27, 2007
            Ralph,

            I am not sure what you mean by portable. I built a wooden hammock
            stand that can be disassembled and transported somewhat easily, you'd
            need a big car. The design has worked well so far although it could do
            with some adjustments to improve stability. Here is a link to the
            while project with instructions:

            www.instructables.com/id/E1LDU89F4AQNVZ5/

            -VBP

            PS I tried to post this before but for some reason it did not work.

            > Anyone got some plans for some good portable hammock stands??
            >
            > I know we've had them here?
            >
            > Ralph

          • sebastiantoney
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 29, 2007
              Check out Warbonnets Hammock Stand:
              http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1156&page=3

              Scroll down to the third, fourth, and fifth pictures on the page.
              It's a more robust version of what I see in your stand VBP.

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Victor Beltran" <vicbel@...>
              wrote:

              > I made a stand out of 2x4 and bolts. It can be easily disassembled and
              > transported although you'd need a big car or a pickup. Here is a link
              > to the project:
              >
              > http://www.instructables.com/id/E1LDU89F4AQNVZ5/
              >
              > I am still working out a couple of stability concerns but overall it
              > works.
              >
              > -VBP
              >
              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn" <Ralph.oborn@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Anyone got some plans for some good portable hammock stands??
              > >
              > > I know we've had them here?
              > >
              > > Ralph

            • Bonnie
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 1, 2007

                > Anyone got some plans for some good portable hammock stands??

                Hi Ralph,
                I've seen quite a few posts about ready made stands so I am sending
                you this link to REI. I worked there for a short time. Fun playing
                with all the gadgets.
                http://www.rei.com/product/687717
                Byer sells stands that weigh 7lbs. and hold up to 250lbs. I bought one
                but haven't used it yet. I also purchased some climbing stoppers to
                use if I can hang from a rock wall.
                http://www.rei.com/product/698028
                If anyone buys the stoppers. Don't forget the stopper tool to help
                with their removal.http://www.rei.com/product/471351?ext_cat=undefined

                Always In Nature
                Bonnie