Re:Stands

  • Gary Shelby
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 26 5:05 AM
      I designed and built a stand out of PVC pipe for two hammocks and would not
      recommend it. I would suggest Ed's metal hammock stand. Gary

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 26 8:36 AM
        Hi Ralph,

        The wood stand I have on my main page is cheap and works well. Cost is
        about $20 if I remember right. It takes some space to move it unless
        you do a lot of disassembly. It is perfect if you have a pickup.

        Ed's metal pipe version (version 2 with larger pipe) works well too. I
        have one that I put together. It is much easier to put this one in the
        trunk of a car. Unfortunately, the pieces cost me about $200. Weight
        is about 75 pounds, so it takes two trips to move the pieces when
        carried by hand.

        The version that I built from steel pipe does not have a brace across
        the bottom. It works fine on ground, but does not work well if used on
        a slippery surface.

        Rick

        Ralph Oborn wrote:
        > Anyone got some plans for some good portable hammock stands??
        >
        > I know we've had them here?
        >
        > Ralph

        Walk Well!

        Rick (Risk)

        *********************************
        http://www.imrisk.com
        author of
        A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
        www.wayahpress.com
        *********************************
      • Ralph Oborn
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 26 9:56 AM
          On 7/26/07, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:

          > Hi Ralph,
          >
          > The wood stand I have on my main page is cheap and works well. Cost is
          > about $20 if I remember right. It takes some space to move it unless
          > you do a lot of disassembly. It is perfect if you have a pickup.
          >
          > Ed's metal pipe version (version 2 with larger pipe) works well too. I
          > have one that I put together. It is much easier to put this one in the
          > trunk of a car. Unfortunately, the pieces cost me about $200. Weight
          > is about 75 pounds, so it takes two trips to move the pieces when
          > carried by hand.
          >
          > The version that I built from steel pipe does not have a brace across
          > the bottom. It works fine on ground, but does not work well if used on
          > a slippery surface.
          >
          > Rick

          A friend of mine spent two years as a Mormon Missionary in Guatamala
          sleeping in a hammock. Now he's in back in college and misses the comfort,
          but he can't put holes in his apartment wall.

          I already had him looking at your plans, I'll look at the others also.

          Thanks (all)

          Ralph

        • Victor Beltran
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 27 11:25 AM
            I made a stand out of 2x4 and bolts. It can be easily disassembled and
            transported although you'd need a big car or a pickup. Here is a link
            to the project:

            http://www.instructables.com/id/E1LDU89F4AQNVZ5/

            I am still working out a couple of stability concerns but overall it
            works.

            -VBP

            > Anyone got some plans for some good portable hammock stands??
            >
            > I know we've had them here?
            >
            > Ralph

          • Victor Beltran
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 27 8:37 PM
              Ralph,

              I am not sure what you mean by portable. I built a wooden hammock
              stand that can be disassembled and transported somewhat easily, you'd
              need a big car. The design has worked well so far although it could do
              with some adjustments to improve stability. Here is a link to the
              while project with instructions:

              www.instructables.com/id/E1LDU89F4AQNVZ5/

              -VBP

              PS I tried to post this before but for some reason it did not work.

              > Anyone got some plans for some good portable hammock stands??
              >
              > I know we've had them here?
              >
              > Ralph

            • sebastiantoney
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 29 6:12 AM
                Check out Warbonnets Hammock Stand:
                http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1156&page=3

                Scroll down to the third, fourth, and fifth pictures on the page.
                It's a more robust version of what I see in your stand VBP.

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Victor Beltran" <vicbel@...>
                wrote:

                > I made a stand out of 2x4 and bolts. It can be easily disassembled and
                > transported although you'd need a big car or a pickup. Here is a link
                > to the project:
                >
                > http://www.instructables.com/id/E1LDU89F4AQNVZ5/
                >
                > I am still working out a couple of stability concerns but overall it
                > works.
                >
                > -VBP
                >
                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn" <Ralph.oborn@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Anyone got some plans for some good portable hammock stands??
                > >
                > > I know we've had them here?
                > >
                > > Ralph

              • Bonnie
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 1, 2007

                  > Anyone got some plans for some good portable hammock stands??

                  Hi Ralph,
                  I've seen quite a few posts about ready made stands so I am sending
                  you this link to REI. I worked there for a short time. Fun playing
                  with all the gadgets.
                  http://www.rei.com/product/687717
                  Byer sells stands that weigh 7lbs. and hold up to 250lbs. I bought one
                  but haven't used it yet. I also purchased some climbing stoppers to
                  use if I can hang from a rock wall.
                  http://www.rei.com/product/698028
                  If anyone buys the stoppers. Don't forget the stopper tool to help
                  with their removal.http://www.rei.com/product/471351?ext_cat=undefined

                  Always In Nature
                  Bonnie