Re: [Hammock Camping] Stands

  • RevT
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 26, 2007
      Look on Risk's pages.

      www.imrisk.com I think is the addy.

      Brian

      > Anyone got some plans for some good portable hammock stands??
      >
      > I know we've had them here?
      >
      > Ralph

    • Gary Shelby
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 26, 2007
        I designed and built a stand out of PVC pipe for two hammocks and would not
        recommend it. I would suggest Ed's metal hammock stand. Gary

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 26, 2007
          Hi Ralph,

          The wood stand I have on my main page is cheap and works well. Cost is
          about $20 if I remember right. It takes some space to move it unless
          you do a lot of disassembly. It is perfect if you have a pickup.

          Ed's metal pipe version (version 2 with larger pipe) works well too. I
          have one that I put together. It is much easier to put this one in the
          trunk of a car. Unfortunately, the pieces cost me about $200. Weight
          is about 75 pounds, so it takes two trips to move the pieces when
          carried by hand.

          The version that I built from steel pipe does not have a brace across
          the bottom. It works fine on ground, but does not work well if used on
          a slippery surface.

          Rick

          Ralph Oborn wrote:
          > Anyone got some plans for some good portable hammock stands??
          >
          > I know we've had them here?
          >
          > Ralph

          Walk Well!

          Rick (Risk)

          *********************************
          http://www.imrisk.com
          author of
          A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
          www.wayahpress.com
          *********************************
        • Ralph Oborn
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 26, 2007
            On 7/26/07, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:

            > Hi Ralph,
            >
            > The wood stand I have on my main page is cheap and works well. Cost is
            > about $20 if I remember right. It takes some space to move it unless
            > you do a lot of disassembly. It is perfect if you have a pickup.
            >
            > Ed's metal pipe version (version 2 with larger pipe) works well too. I
            > have one that I put together. It is much easier to put this one in the
            > trunk of a car. Unfortunately, the pieces cost me about $200. Weight
            > is about 75 pounds, so it takes two trips to move the pieces when
            > carried by hand.
            >
            > The version that I built from steel pipe does not have a brace across
            > the bottom. It works fine on ground, but does not work well if used on
            > a slippery surface.
            >
            > Rick

            A friend of mine spent two years as a Mormon Missionary in Guatamala
            sleeping in a hammock. Now he's in back in college and misses the comfort,
            but he can't put holes in his apartment wall.

            I already had him looking at your plans, I'll look at the others also.

            Thanks (all)

            Ralph

          • Victor Beltran
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 27, 2007
              I made a stand out of 2x4 and bolts. It can be easily disassembled and
              transported although you'd need a big car or a pickup. Here is a link
              to the project:

              http://www.instructables.com/id/E1LDU89F4AQNVZ5/

              I am still working out a couple of stability concerns but overall it
              works.

              -VBP

              > Anyone got some plans for some good portable hammock stands??
              >
              > I know we've had them here?
              >
              > Ralph

            • Victor Beltran
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 27, 2007
                Ralph,

                I am not sure what you mean by portable. I built a wooden hammock
                stand that can be disassembled and transported somewhat easily, you'd
                need a big car. The design has worked well so far although it could do
                with some adjustments to improve stability. Here is a link to the
                while project with instructions:

                www.instructables.com/id/E1LDU89F4AQNVZ5/

                -VBP

                PS I tried to post this before but for some reason it did not work.

                > Anyone got some plans for some good portable hammock stands??
                >
                > I know we've had them here?
                >
                > Ralph

              • sebastiantoney
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 29, 2007
                  Check out Warbonnets Hammock Stand:
                  http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1156&page=3

                  Scroll down to the third, fourth, and fifth pictures on the page.
                  It's a more robust version of what I see in your stand VBP.

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Victor Beltran" <vicbel@...>
                  wrote:

                  > I made a stand out of 2x4 and bolts. It can be easily disassembled and
                  > transported although you'd need a big car or a pickup. Here is a link
                  > to the project:
                  >
                  > http://www.instructables.com/id/E1LDU89F4AQNVZ5/
                  >
                  > I am still working out a couple of stability concerns but overall it
                  > works.
                  >
                  > -VBP
                  >
                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn" <Ralph.oborn@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Anyone got some plans for some good portable hammock stands??
                  > >
                  > > I know we've had them here?
                  > >
                  > > Ralph

                • Bonnie
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 1 9:21 AM

                    > Anyone got some plans for some good portable hammock stands??

                    Hi Ralph,
                    I've seen quite a few posts about ready made stands so I am sending
                    you this link to REI. I worked there for a short time. Fun playing
                    with all the gadgets.
                    http://www.rei.com/product/687717
                    Byer sells stands that weigh 7lbs. and hold up to 250lbs. I bought one
                    but haven't used it yet. I also purchased some climbing stoppers to
                    use if I can hang from a rock wall.
                    http://www.rei.com/product/698028
                    If anyone buys the stoppers. Don't forget the stopper tool to help
                    with their removal.http://www.rei.com/product/471351?ext_cat=undefined

                    Always In Nature
                    Bonnie