Stands

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 25, 2007
      Anyone got some plans for some good portable hammock stands??

      I know we've had them here?

      Ralph

    • RevT
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 26, 2007
        Look on Risk's pages.

        www.imrisk.com I think is the addy.

        Brian

        > Anyone got some plans for some good portable hammock stands??
        >
        > I know we've had them here?
        >
        > Ralph

      • Gary Shelby
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 26, 2007
          I designed and built a stand out of PVC pipe for two hammocks and would not
          recommend it. I would suggest Ed's metal hammock stand. Gary

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 26, 2007
            Hi Ralph,

            The wood stand I have on my main page is cheap and works well. Cost is
            about $20 if I remember right. It takes some space to move it unless
            you do a lot of disassembly. It is perfect if you have a pickup.

            Ed's metal pipe version (version 2 with larger pipe) works well too. I
            have one that I put together. It is much easier to put this one in the
            trunk of a car. Unfortunately, the pieces cost me about $200. Weight
            is about 75 pounds, so it takes two trips to move the pieces when
            carried by hand.

            The version that I built from steel pipe does not have a brace across
            the bottom. It works fine on ground, but does not work well if used on
            a slippery surface.

            Rick

            Ralph Oborn wrote:
            > Anyone got some plans for some good portable hammock stands??
            >
            > I know we've had them here?
            >
            > Ralph

            Walk Well!

            Rick (Risk)

            *********************************
            http://www.imrisk.com
            author of
            A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
            www.wayahpress.com
            *********************************
          • Ralph Oborn
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 26, 2007
              On 7/26/07, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:

              > Hi Ralph,
              >
              > The wood stand I have on my main page is cheap and works well. Cost is
              > about $20 if I remember right. It takes some space to move it unless
              > you do a lot of disassembly. It is perfect if you have a pickup.
              >
              > Ed's metal pipe version (version 2 with larger pipe) works well too. I
              > have one that I put together. It is much easier to put this one in the
              > trunk of a car. Unfortunately, the pieces cost me about $200. Weight
              > is about 75 pounds, so it takes two trips to move the pieces when
              > carried by hand.
              >
              > The version that I built from steel pipe does not have a brace across
              > the bottom. It works fine on ground, but does not work well if used on
              > a slippery surface.
              >
              > Rick

              A friend of mine spent two years as a Mormon Missionary in Guatamala
              sleeping in a hammock. Now he's in back in college and misses the comfort,
              but he can't put holes in his apartment wall.

              I already had him looking at your plans, I'll look at the others also.

              Thanks (all)

              Ralph

            • Victor Beltran
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 27, 2007
                I made a stand out of 2x4 and bolts. It can be easily disassembled and
                transported although you'd need a big car or a pickup. Here is a link
                to the project:

                http://www.instructables.com/id/E1LDU89F4AQNVZ5/

                I am still working out a couple of stability concerns but overall it
                works.

                -VBP

                > Anyone got some plans for some good portable hammock stands??
                >
                > I know we've had them here?
                >
                > Ralph

              • Victor Beltran
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 27, 2007
                  Ralph,

                  I am not sure what you mean by portable. I built a wooden hammock
                  stand that can be disassembled and transported somewhat easily, you'd
                  need a big car. The design has worked well so far although it could do
                  with some adjustments to improve stability. Here is a link to the
                  while project with instructions:

                  www.instructables.com/id/E1LDU89F4AQNVZ5/

                  -VBP

                  PS I tried to post this before but for some reason it did not work.

                  > Anyone got some plans for some good portable hammock stands??
                  >
                  > I know we've had them here?
                  >
                  > Ralph

                • sebastiantoney
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 29, 2007
                    Check out Warbonnets Hammock Stand:
                    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1156&page=3

                    Scroll down to the third, fourth, and fifth pictures on the page.
                    It's a more robust version of what I see in your stand VBP.

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Victor Beltran" <vicbel@...>
                    wrote:

                    > I made a stand out of 2x4 and bolts. It can be easily disassembled and
                    > transported although you'd need a big car or a pickup. Here is a link
                    > to the project:
                    >
                    > http://www.instructables.com/id/E1LDU89F4AQNVZ5/
                    >
                    > I am still working out a couple of stability concerns but overall it
                    > works.
                    >
                    > -VBP
                    >
                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn" <Ralph.oborn@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Anyone got some plans for some good portable hammock stands??
                    > >
                    > > I know we've had them here?
                    > >
                    > > Ralph

                  • Bonnie
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 1, 2007

                      > Anyone got some plans for some good portable hammock stands??

                      Hi Ralph,
                      I've seen quite a few posts about ready made stands so I am sending
                      you this link to REI. I worked there for a short time. Fun playing
                      with all the gadgets.
                      http://www.rei.com/product/687717
                      Byer sells stands that weigh 7lbs. and hold up to 250lbs. I bought one
                      but haven't used it yet. I also purchased some climbing stoppers to
                      use if I can hang from a rock wall.
                      http://www.rei.com/product/698028
                      If anyone buys the stoppers. Don't forget the stopper tool to help
                      with their removal.http://www.rei.com/product/471351?ext_cat=undefined

                      Always In Nature
                      Bonnie