Thinking about hanging...

  • Steve Owens
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 12, 2007
      I am considering the purchase of a Speer IIIA, and I'm looking for some
      guidance or advice. I am in the military and we do tents, but this
      whole hammock thing is new to me...

      My main reason for considering a Speer is the fact that it is made
      somewhat locally to me here in West Virginia, and is Made in the USA.
      I would consider other options, but wanted to state why I am leaning
      this direction.

      I have just backpacked the AT in Georgia with my daughter, and weight
      is definitely a consideration.

      Any comments or advice would be appreciated.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 18, 2007
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Owens" <wv654@...> wrote:

        > I am considering the purchase of a Speer IIIA, and I'm looking for some
        > guidance or advice. I am in the military and we do tents, but this
        > whole hammock thing is new to me...
        >
        > My main reason for considering a Speer is the fact that it is made
        > somewhat locally to me here in West Virginia, and is Made in the USA.
        > I would consider other options, but wanted to state why I am leaning
        > this direction.
        >
        > I have just backpacked the AT in Georgia with my daughter, and weight
        > is definitely a consideration.
        >
        > Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

        Its a great hammock design, you will enjoy it. It is one of the few
        hammock designs that has an easily removable bugnet and a full size
        tarp, you will appreciate both of those features in the Appalachian
        Mountains.

        Dave Womble
        aka Youngblood
        designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender and SnugFit Underquilt
      • Steve Owens
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 18, 2007

          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Owens" <wv654@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I am considering the purchase of a Speer IIIA, and I'm looking
          for some
          > > guidance or advice. I am in the military and we do tents, but
          this
          > > whole hammock thing is new to me...
          > >
          > > My main reason for considering a Speer is the fact that it is
          made
          > > somewhat locally to me here in West Virginia, and is Made in the
          USA.
          > > I would consider other options, but wanted to state why I am
          leaning
          > > this direction.
          > >
          > > I have just backpacked the AT in Georgia with my daughter, and
          weight
          > > is definitely a consideration.
          > >
          > > Any comments or advice would be appreciated.
          > >

          > Its a great hammock design, you will enjoy it. It is one of the few
          > hammock designs that has an easily removable bugnet and a full size
          > tarp, you will appreciate both of those features in the Appalachian
          > Mountains.
          >
          > Dave Womble
          > aka Youngblood
          > designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender and SnugFit Underquilt

          Dave,

          Thanks for the reinforcement of the purchase idea! I am really
          excited about giving it a shot.

          Steve
        • chcoa
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 21, 2007
            I think you'll like it too Steve. I don't own one of Ed's hammocks
            but I have a simular style and I like it much more than the HH I
            used to have. I think the top entry is just more workable in more
            situations.

            Best of luck with your decision.

            jamie in az

            And for what it's worth, my sincere thanks to you for your military
            service.