Pine Gum

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 14, 2007
      Last night I went up with our scout troop for their last night of scout
      camp.

      (Camp Treasure Mountain is in the same canyon as Targhee ski resort on the
      back side of the Tetons, Idaho-Wyoming border)

      I was in my HH (slept very well thank you)

      5 of our scouts decided to abandon their tents and sleep in test hammocks
      that I made for them.

      We used 4 yards of Wally World $1 a yard nylon materiel, and some surplus
      webbing tied with a double sheet bend. Easy, and worked great.
      When I made the bight in the materiel I staggered the center line of the
      hammock about an inch to make the hammock deeper and more stable. (This
      means I pulled the edges out a little )

      My first question: Rick came up with the test hammock notion that is
      wonderful for scouts, who should get the credit for using the double sheet
      bend to tie it?

      Second question: We got pine gum and sap over all the straps, does anyone
      have any suggestions on how to remove it. Right now all the straps have been
      removed from the hammock bodies, and I would like to put them in a 5 gallon
      bucket with some sort of magic soap that will dissolve the pine gum and
      leave the strapping:

      Ralph

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 15, 2007
        Ralph,

        Some of the earliest hammock making I found on the web was this
        http://www.oism.org/nwss/s73p925.htm and that probably goes back to a
        book written in the fifies. They didn't use the double-sheet bend in
        their instructions but they did use a two-layer hammock for strength
        and it was made from easy to find fabric-- bedsheets at that time.
        They also mentioned newspapers as well as attached quilts for
        insulation... I assume they put the newspapers between the layers and
        they mentioned stitching the quilt to the underside of the hammock.
        Hammocks, ropes and knots have been around a long time and one would
        be hard pressed to try and go back in time to see what individual was
        really the first to do certain things.

        That said, when I was talking to Coy about how impressed I was with
        the double-sheet bend knot for attaching hammocks and that I got the
        idea from you, he thought you got the idea for him. I'm not sure
        where he got the idea of using it for the hammock knot, maybe he can
        recall.

        Dave

        > Last night I went up with our scout troop for their last night of scout
        > camp.
        >
        > (Camp Treasure Mountain is in the same canyon as Targhee ski resort
        on the
        > back side of the Tetons, Idaho-Wyoming border)
        >

        > I was in my HH (slept very well thank you)
        >
        > 5 of our scouts decided to abandon their tents and sleep in test
        hammocks
        > that I made for them.
        >
        > We used 4 yards of Wally World $1 a yard nylon materiel, and some
        surplus
        > webbing tied with a double sheet bend. Easy, and worked great.
        > When I made the bight in the materiel I staggered the center line of the
        > hammock about an inch to make the hammock deeper and more stable. (This
        > means I pulled the edges out a little )
        >

        > My first question: Rick came up with the test hammock notion that is
        > wonderful for scouts, who should get the credit for using the double
        sheet
        > bend to tie it?
        >
        > Second question: We got pine gum and sap over all the straps, does
        anyone
        > have any suggestions on how to remove it. Right now all the straps
        have been
        > removed from the hammock bodies, and I would like to put them in a 5
        gallon
        > bucket with some sort of magic soap that will dissolve the pine gum and
        > leave the strapping:
        >
        > Ralph

      • Ralph Oborn
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 15, 2007
          That said, when I was talking to Coy about how impressed I was with
          the double-sheet bend knot for attaching hammocks and that I got the
          idea from you, he thought you got the idea for him. I'm not sure
          where he got the idea of using it for the hammock knot, maybe he can
          recall.

          Dave

          Thanks Dave (and Coy??)

          I found this from 9/28/07.... when I searched my Gmail...

          Ralph

          On 9/28/04, jonas4321@... <jonas4321@...> wrote:

          > I have been thinking of how I wanted to add bug netting to my hammock,
          > and I decided to try out making a tube that was drawn closed at both
          > ends. This not only gave me coverage from above and below, it also gave
          > me an unexpected benefit of a bug net that I could use with most any
          > hammock that I might make in the future. This hammock is a ZHammock
          > design (thank you Risk!). The only change I made to that design was that
          > I used a double sheet bend to connect the webbing to the hammock.

        • Coy
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 15, 2007

            > That said, when I was talking to Coy about how impressed I was with
            > the double-sheet bend knot for attaching hammocks and that I got the
            > idea from you, he thought you got the idea for him. I'm not sure
            > where he got the idea of using it for the hammock knot, maybe he can
            > recall.

            Yep, the idea for using the sheep bend came to me in a dream...then
            sombody changed the name to double-sheet bend. Actually I think I
            got the idea looking at a site about knots that said it was good for
            joining disimilar diameters of rope and or rope to webbing. I looked
            at it and thought that was along the same lines as hammock to
            webbing. Then again I may have gotten the idea from Ralph or
            someone else. In either case I imagin someone has used it for this
            purpose before either of us were borm...well Ralph is gittin old so I
            take that back.

            Coy Boy
          • Ralph Oborn
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 15, 2007
              Oldest yet.

              April 5 2004 had this note

              Re: [Hammock Camping] answering natures call and staying warm.

              Damn ! I can't believe the number of posts just about taking a leak , for me
              it would be simple , if you got to go you got to go , far better to do it
              outside the hammock than in it , how long would the thread have been if it
              were about taking a crap ?.

              Actually you over there in the USA and also the Southern states of Australia
              have a much different set of conditions to camp in than I do , most of my
              Hammock camping consists of using a throw away hammock , I just go and buy
              about two and a half metres of Calico [ About $10 ] and just bunch up the
              ends and attach Nylon webbing with a* Sheet Bend knot* then tape over it
              with
              duct tape , works fine for a week or two , while I carry a mosquito net
              most times I don't put it up as it isn't necessary , I mainly camp in what
              passes for our winter , so no mosquitos , this is also out dry season [
              actually all year is pretty much our dry season ] so I don't normally need a
              tarp either , if it does get cold I have a quite good sleeping bag that is
              rated to about 15*F , it's generally far too hot for me to use for more than
              a half hour at a time and I tend to alternate between being cool and hot
              all night , unfortunately I can't seem to get one for in between temps that
              will fit me , I'm 6'2" and 240 lb and most of the Sleeping bag manufacturers
              in Australia seem to think that the biggest person who will go camping is
              going to be about 5'10" and 170lb

              David Wallace

              On 7/15/07, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:

              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@...>
              > wrote:
              >

              > > That said, when I was talking to Coy about how impressed I was with
              > > the double-sheet bend knot for attaching hammocks and that I got the
              > > idea from you, he thought you got the idea for him. I'm not sure
              > > where he got the idea of using it for the hammock knot, maybe he can
              > > recall.
              >
              > Yep, the idea for using the sheep bend came to me in a dream...then
              > sombody changed the name to double-sheet bend. Actually I think I
              > got the idea looking at a site about knots that said it was good for
              > joining disimilar diameters of rope and or rope to webbing. I looked
              > at it and thought that was along the same lines as hammock to
              > webbing. Then again I may have gotten the idea from Ralph or
              > someone else. In either case I imagin someone has used it for this
              > purpose before either of us were borm...well Ralph is gittin old so I
              > take that back.
              >
              > Coy Boy

            • Coy
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 15, 2007
                look up sheep bend. I dont have my hammock camping in gmail.

                Coy Boy

              • amendment2@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 15, 2007
                  I envision earliest sailers using a sheet bend to tie their hammock ends on
                  the shipboard

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 15, 2007
                    Try some shots of wd 40 on the sap.

                    Brian

                  • Ralph Oborn
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 15, 2007
                      look up sheep bend. I dont have my hammock camping in gmail.

                      Coy Boy

                      Found Coy on 2/27/05 He was trying to skinny down a hammock,

                      And the discussion was over on Kampfire

                      Re: ...just peed my pants again

                      clarification....the knot (sheepbend) worked fine. the 30 in width
                      did not. I cut it in half thinking it might work. I still want to
                      try a norrower one but the 60 in wide seem to work great. I thing
                      50 may be about as narrow as practical for me though. Didn,t Rick
                      make on 40 in wide. Shouldnt all this be on the hammockcamping list
                      LOL

                      Coy Boy

                    • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 15, 2007

                        > Second question: We got pine gum and sap over all the straps, does
                        > anyonehave any suggestions on how to remove it. Right now all the
                        > straps have been
                        > removed from the hammock bodies, and I would like to put them in a
                        > 5 gallon
                        > bucket with some sort of magic soap that will dissolve the pine
                        > gum and
                        > leave the strapping:
                        >
                        > Ralph

                        Denatured alcohol will remove/dissolve the pine gum. I've used it
                        several times on my straps (and my truck) and it has worked well.

                        Brian

                        The most valuable things in life are free. They are gifts of grace and
                        are ours for the asking...walk in faith.
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 15, 2007

                          <snip>
                          > Yep, the idea for using the sheep bend came to me in a dream...
                          <snip>

                          > Coy Boy

                          Oh, so it was the sheep-bend knot. lol

                          Dave
                        • Coy
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 15, 2007
                            yep, the reason i remember is i caught the mistake (actually I had a
                            hard time remebering its proper name from day to day for a while there)
                            and wondered if anybody was going to call me on it. nobody did so i
                            felt safe. then ralph has to go diggin up the past...

                            Coy Boy

                            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > <snip>
                            > > Yep, the idea for using the sheep bend came to me in a dream...
                            > <snip>
                            > >
                            > > Coy Boy
                            > >

                            > Oh, so it was the sheep-bend knot. lol
                            >
                            > Dave

                          • RevT
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 15, 2007
                              >> then ralph has to go diggin up the past...

                              Thats why we always say its all Ralphs fault....

                              Brian