Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock Chair Camping?

  • C C Wayah
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 11, 2007
      Rick,
      Wow a Hammock in a teepee!
      Interesting idea.
      Rogene

      .
      Chair Hammock....
      I realize the mosquito netting, sleeping bag, winter insulation would all
      have to be redesigned for a system like this to work. I think a tent
      covered tripod frame could be designed with built in mosquito netting and
      windows for air venting. I believe that with some experimentation a person
      might produce a unique system.
    • Randal Swink
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 11, 2007
        OK, so how much room would a body need?

        Does the tent need to allow you a complete circle of freedom?

        I was thinking about a Hex 3 like structure, only a little taller. You could
        make a top of just netting and a top for water resistance.

        I am liking this idea, keep you off the ground and keep you in the warm
        pocket up high in a tent, best of both world in the cold. And in the heat
        you would be up off the ground and hopefully could get into a better air
        flow if all you are using is the net.

        But, holding up the top is there I am getting stuck.

        On 7/11/07, C C Wayah <ccwayah@...> wrote:

        > Rick,
        > Wow a Hammock in a teepee!
        > Interesting idea.
        > Rogene
        >
        > .
        > Chair Hammock....
        > I realize the mosquito netting, sleeping bag, winter insulation would all
        > have to be redesigned for a system like this to work. I think a tent
        > covered tripod frame could be designed with built in mosquito netting and
        > windows for air venting. I believe that with some experimentation
        > a person
        > might produce a unique system.

      • podlife59
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 15, 2007
          Howdy,
          I have been thinking about what you all have been writing and I
          believe there are some really interesting possiblities for hammock
          chair camping. After looking how the brazilian hammock chairs are
          made I was thinking that the set up really doesn't have to be much
          different than normal hammock camping most of you are use to.
          Instead of a wooden spreader bar a taut ridge line could be used to
          keep the hammock chair from spreading beyond a certain point. A few
          differences would be shorter distance between two trees, shorter
          rainfly (or not) depending how much coverage you desire. You could
          still keep the element for stealth camping as well. As for making a
          hammock chair with the whipping technique I can see that the
          gathering area points would produce more of a trapezoid shape than a
          rectangle as for a normal hammock. As for sleeping with a sleeping
          bag this could produce some problems unless you could customize your
          sleeping bag to snap together above the shoulders. Possibly a mummy
          bag would work which as you know is more form fitting and some tie
          around the neck and have a built in hood. A teepee design which
          could be a much more elaborate design and a lot more material but
          would
          eliminate some problems like a cold wind and blowing rain. If you
          already have a hammock chair with a wooden spreader bar you can hang
          it from the center of your teepee frame. I think I would have a
          four pole minimun so you have some room. A tripod frame would have
          to be pretty huge to accomodate a person I would think. I know that
          for some folks part of a good camping experience is to build
          structures from wood with lashing techniques and other backwoodsmen
          skills. Another idea is to sew together a tent much like an old
          style circular shower curtain but instead of a large metal ring use
          an integrated shock corded fiberglass tent pole and hang your tent
          from one point and secure the sides to the ground. It would
          resemble a pavilion style tent and would produce much more interior
          room with less height as opposed to a teepee frame. My wife and I
          were recently up in the mountains and Lodgepole pines were the
          predominant tree. I could see that it would be difficult to suspend
          a hammock chair from just one point as the tree branches were almost
          nil, but hanging between two trees anywhere was a cinch. This is
          why I think hanging a hammock chair with a taut ridge line and no
          wooden spreader bar would be the most efficient, but I also think a
          teepee would have a lot of benefits as well. Let me know what you
          think. Your Friend, Rick

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Randal Swink" <rswink@...>