Re: Hammock Chair Camping?

  • podlife59
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 9, 2007
      I liked what you said and I do know a little about whipping knots
      but I can't see the picture you are trying to create. I am still
      fairly new to this although I have read a bit about it. Is there a
      pic or photo somewhere where I might get an idea what you mean? I
      like the hammock chair idea and want to give it a try. Thanks for
      your reply. Rick :)

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sebastiantoney"
      <funbun2@...> wrote:

      > The topic on hammocks being too confining or not so comfortable
      keeps
      > coming up on a variety of forums.
      >
      > I've though of making a chair hammock also. And I think you're
      right,
      > Mayan based hammocks are very comfortable chairs because of the
      high
      > sides. I would suggest making a Mayan/Speer style hammock, but pull
      > one side tighter than the other. That way you've got a really nice
      > back for one hammock. Maybe even whip the "backside" with a W whip
      and
      > the foot side with a standard "gathering" whip. That way your back
      > will have more support and your feet and knees would be more
      comfortable.

      > Other than that, just hang it up like an other hammock. Since it'd
      be
      > a chair there would be no need to make it 8 or 10 feet of fabric. I
      > bet you could get away with 5 or 6 feet of fabric, this saving
      weight.

      > You could even make a "gear" hammock to use as a foot stool.
      >
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "podlife59" <podlife59@>
      wrote:

      > > Hello Everyone,
      > > I have had this idea for quite some time now and wanted to share
      it
      > > with you all and get some feedback. Years ago I had contracted
      > > pneumonia and was laid up pretty bad for about two weeks. It
      was so
      > > severe I couldn't sleep in my own bed as it was too painful. I
      > > owned at that time a wing backed chair and learned I was very
      > > comfortable sleeping in it propped up by the wings. I slept in
      that
      > > chair for a full two weeks and felt very rested in the morning.
      > > When I saw a hammock chair on the internet it showed a person
      > > relaxing in it much like I did in that wing backed chair and I
      > > thought maybe it could be an alternative for those who find
      regular
      > > hammocks too uncomfortable or confining. I realize the mosquito
      > > netting, sleeping bag, winter insulation would all have to be
      > > redesigned for a system like this to work. I think a tent
      covered
      > > tripod frame could be designed with built in mosquito netting
      and
      > > windows for air venting. I believe that with some
      experimentation a
      > > person might produce a unique system. I think the Brazilian
      > > hammock chair style would be the best for support as the high
      walls
      > > lend to cradling the upper body. It has only one spreader bar
      so
      > > there still is an element for ease of lightweight camping. I
      would
      > > like to hear from anyone with some ideas or opinions on this.
      It is

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 10, 2007
          Check out Just Jeffs website for a primer on making hammocks:
          http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html

          Read that, then study what I wrote.

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "podlife59" <podlife59@...> wrote:

          > I liked what you said and I do know a little about whipping knots
          > but I can't see the picture you are trying to create. I am still
          > fairly new to this although I have read a bit about it. Is there a
          > pic or photo somewhere where I might get an idea what you mean? I
          > like the hammock chair idea and want to give it a try. Thanks for
          > your reply. Rick :)

        • podlife59
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 22, 2007
            Hello,
            I was surfing the internet and found this site with a hammock chair
            with a unique design and wanted to share it with you. It is called a
            Skychair.

            http://labiscreations.com/hammocks.html