Re: Table Rock State Park, SC

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 9, 2007
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Tina Paxton" <Frecs@...> wrote:

      > I thought that I would hike the Pinnacle Mountain Trail/Wooded
      Ridge/Table
      > Rock look on Saturday and then do the Table Rock out and back on
      Sunday.
      > The description says they are streneous to "highly strenuous" so I
      hope I'm
      > not biting off more than I can chew but its calling my name so I
      have to go.

      > Actually, I'm thinking about thru-hiking the Foothills Trail next year.
      > Have you done that? Can it really be done in one week? Do you know
      what
      > time of year is best to hike the trail?

      How far is that loop trail? It has been a few years since I hiked on
      the Foothills Trail through there, but I recall the hike over Pinnacle
      Mountain as spectacular and a pretty good tug.

      I hiked the Foothills Trail twice, once in each direction. One was at
      the spring equinox and the second was in the winter. It is a pretty
      fast trail in that it doesn't have a lot of back-to-back-to-back big
      climbs that just beat you down... it has some tough climbs but they
      are spaced out pretty well. It has a lot of trail that follows rivers
      and creeks. How long it takes depends on how fast and long you can
      hike each day and how much daylight there is. It is a 76 mile trail
      so for 7 days you have to average 11 miles/day.

      Dave
    • Eddy
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 9, 2007
        the Foothills Trail is on my list of to do hikes. Thanks for the info.

        Eddy

        > I hiked the Foothills Trail twice, once in each direction. One was at
        > the spring equinox and the second was in the winter. It is a pretty
        > fast trail in that it doesn't have a lot of back-to-back-to-back big
        > climbs that just beat you down... it has some tough climbs but they
        > are spaced out pretty well. It has a lot of trail that follows rivers
        > and creeks. How long it takes depends on how fast and long you can
        > hike each day and how much daylight there is. It is a 76 mile trail
        > so for 7 days you have to average 11 miles/day.
        >
        > Dave

      • Tina Paxton
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 9, 2007
          Well, lets see: the Pinnacle Mountain trail is 4.1 miles one way; the Ridge
          Trail/Table Rock Trail is 1.9 miles if I'm reading it right. So, the loop
          would be 6 strenuous miles. The only other option would be to do the
          Pinnacle as an out-and-back which would be 8.2 miles so I think the loop is
          the easier option. I'll do that on Saturday and hopefully will have legs
          left to go back and do Table Rock Trail as an out-and-back on Sunday
          morning...that's another 7.2 miles round trip. I want to do the Sunday hike
          because the loop on Saturday does not include the summit of Table Rock.
          Okay, so I might be over-estimating my abilities...we'll see and we'll just
          play it by ear...

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 12, 2007
            Tina, are you still doing this... and if so do you still want some
            company? It is a long ways for me to go so I have been flip-flopping
            about going, but I haven't been out that way in a while and I do want
            to get out this weekend. What time and where can I locate you at
            Table Rock?

            Dave

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Tina Paxton" <Frecs@...> wrote:

            > Well, lets see: the Pinnacle Mountain trail is 4.1 miles one way;
            the Ridge
            > Trail/Table Rock Trail is 1.9 miles if I'm reading it right. So,
            the loop
            > would be 6 strenuous miles. The only other option would be to do the
            > Pinnacle as an out-and-back which would be 8.2 miles so I think the
            loop is
            > the easier option. I'll do that on Saturday and hopefully will have
            legs
            > left to go back and do Table Rock Trail as an out-and-back on Sunday
            > morning...that's another 7.2 miles round trip. I want to do the
            Sunday hike
            > because the loop on Saturday does not include the summit of Table Rock.
            > Okay, so I might be over-estimating my abilities...we'll see and
            we'll just
            > play it by ear...

          • Tina Paxton
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 12, 2007
              Yes, I'm still going. I'll be heading there tomorrow. I need to check in
              and claim my primitive camp site by 6pm. On Saturday, I'll probably be
              checking in with the Rangers to start the hike up Pinnacle mountain about
              8:30am or so.

              yes, I'm still open for company. I'm not a fast hiker and this is my first
              "strenuous" hike so will probably be even slower even though I won't be
              having to carry a full pack.

              > Tina, are you still doing this... and if so do you still want some
              > company? It is a long ways for me to go so I have been flip-flopping
              > about going, but I haven't been out that way in a while and I do want
              > to get out this weekend. What time and where can I locate you at
              > Table Rock?
              >
              > Dave
              >

              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Tina Paxton" <Frecs@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Well, lets see: the Pinnacle Mountain trail is 4.1 miles one way;
              > the Ridge
              >> Trail/Table Rock Trail is 1.9 miles if I'm reading it right. So,
              > the loop
              >> would be 6 strenuous miles. The only other option would be to do the
              >> Pinnacle as an out-and-back which would be 8.2 miles so I think the
              > loop is
              >> the easier option. I'll do that on Saturday and hopefully will have
              > legs
              >> left to go back and do Table Rock Trail as an out-and-back on Sunday
              >> morning...that's another 7.2 miles round trip. I want to do the
              > Sunday hike
              >> because the loop on Saturday does not include the summit of Table Rock.
              >> Okay, so I might be over-estimating my abilities...we'll see and
              > we'll just
              >> play it by ear...
              >>

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Tina Paxton
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 13, 2007
                Oh, I forgot to say: I'll be the one wearing a pink hat with collector pins
                decorating it.