Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Table Rock State Park, SC

  • Tina Paxton
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 8 4:19 AM
      I thought that I would hike the Pinnacle Mountain Trail/Wooded Ridge/Table
      Rock look on Saturday and then do the Table Rock out and back on Sunday.
      The description says they are streneous to "highly strenuous" so I hope I'm
      not biting off more than I can chew but its calling my name so I have to go.

      Actually, I'm thinking about thru-hiking the Foothills Trail next year.
      Have you done that? Can it really be done in one week? Do you know what
      time of year is best to hike the trail?

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 9 6:14 AM
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Tina Paxton" <Frecs@...> wrote:

        > I thought that I would hike the Pinnacle Mountain Trail/Wooded
        Ridge/Table
        > Rock look on Saturday and then do the Table Rock out and back on
        Sunday.
        > The description says they are streneous to "highly strenuous" so I
        hope I'm
        > not biting off more than I can chew but its calling my name so I
        have to go.

        > Actually, I'm thinking about thru-hiking the Foothills Trail next year.
        > Have you done that? Can it really be done in one week? Do you know
        what
        > time of year is best to hike the trail?

        How far is that loop trail? It has been a few years since I hiked on
        the Foothills Trail through there, but I recall the hike over Pinnacle
        Mountain as spectacular and a pretty good tug.

        I hiked the Foothills Trail twice, once in each direction. One was at
        the spring equinox and the second was in the winter. It is a pretty
        fast trail in that it doesn't have a lot of back-to-back-to-back big
        climbs that just beat you down... it has some tough climbs but they
        are spaced out pretty well. It has a lot of trail that follows rivers
        and creeks. How long it takes depends on how fast and long you can
        hike each day and how much daylight there is. It is a 76 mile trail
        so for 7 days you have to average 11 miles/day.

        Dave
      • Eddy
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 9 10:43 AM
          the Foothills Trail is on my list of to do hikes. Thanks for the info.

          Eddy

          > I hiked the Foothills Trail twice, once in each direction. One was at
          > the spring equinox and the second was in the winter. It is a pretty
          > fast trail in that it doesn't have a lot of back-to-back-to-back big
          > climbs that just beat you down... it has some tough climbs but they
          > are spaced out pretty well. It has a lot of trail that follows rivers
          > and creeks. How long it takes depends on how fast and long you can
          > hike each day and how much daylight there is. It is a 76 mile trail
          > so for 7 days you have to average 11 miles/day.
          >
          > Dave

        • Tina Paxton
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 9 4:22 PM
            Well, lets see: the Pinnacle Mountain trail is 4.1 miles one way; the Ridge
            Trail/Table Rock Trail is 1.9 miles if I'm reading it right. So, the loop
            would be 6 strenuous miles. The only other option would be to do the
            Pinnacle as an out-and-back which would be 8.2 miles so I think the loop is
            the easier option. I'll do that on Saturday and hopefully will have legs
            left to go back and do Table Rock Trail as an out-and-back on Sunday
            morning...that's another 7.2 miles round trip. I want to do the Sunday hike
            because the loop on Saturday does not include the summit of Table Rock.
            Okay, so I might be over-estimating my abilities...we'll see and we'll just
            play it by ear...

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 12 7:34 AM
              Tina, are you still doing this... and if so do you still want some
              company? It is a long ways for me to go so I have been flip-flopping
              about going, but I haven't been out that way in a while and I do want
              to get out this weekend. What time and where can I locate you at
              Table Rock?

              Dave

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Tina Paxton" <Frecs@...> wrote:

              > Well, lets see: the Pinnacle Mountain trail is 4.1 miles one way;
              the Ridge
              > Trail/Table Rock Trail is 1.9 miles if I'm reading it right. So,
              the loop
              > would be 6 strenuous miles. The only other option would be to do the
              > Pinnacle as an out-and-back which would be 8.2 miles so I think the
              loop is
              > the easier option. I'll do that on Saturday and hopefully will have
              legs
              > left to go back and do Table Rock Trail as an out-and-back on Sunday
              > morning...that's another 7.2 miles round trip. I want to do the
              Sunday hike
              > because the loop on Saturday does not include the summit of Table Rock.
              > Okay, so I might be over-estimating my abilities...we'll see and
              we'll just
              > play it by ear...

            • Tina Paxton
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 12 6:37 PM
                Yes, I'm still going. I'll be heading there tomorrow. I need to check in
                and claim my primitive camp site by 6pm. On Saturday, I'll probably be
                checking in with the Rangers to start the hike up Pinnacle mountain about
                8:30am or so.

                yes, I'm still open for company. I'm not a fast hiker and this is my first
                "strenuous" hike so will probably be even slower even though I won't be
                having to carry a full pack.

                > Tina, are you still doing this... and if so do you still want some
                > company? It is a long ways for me to go so I have been flip-flopping
                > about going, but I haven't been out that way in a while and I do want
                > to get out this weekend. What time and where can I locate you at
                > Table Rock?
                >
                > Dave
                >

                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Tina Paxton" <Frecs@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> Well, lets see: the Pinnacle Mountain trail is 4.1 miles one way;
                > the Ridge
                >> Trail/Table Rock Trail is 1.9 miles if I'm reading it right. So,
                > the loop
                >> would be 6 strenuous miles. The only other option would be to do the
                >> Pinnacle as an out-and-back which would be 8.2 miles so I think the
                > loop is
                >> the easier option. I'll do that on Saturday and hopefully will have
                > legs
                >> left to go back and do Table Rock Trail as an out-and-back on Sunday
                >> morning...that's another 7.2 miles round trip. I want to do the
                > Sunday hike
                >> because the loop on Saturday does not include the summit of Table Rock.
                >> Okay, so I might be over-estimating my abilities...we'll see and
                > we'll just
                >> play it by ear...
                >>

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Tina Paxton
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 13 4:08 AM
                  Oh, I forgot to say: I'll be the one wearing a pink hat with collector pins
                  decorating it.