Hammock Chair Camping?

  • podlife59
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 6, 2007
      Hello Everyone,
      I have had this idea for quite some time now and wanted to share it
      with you all and get some feedback. Years ago I had contracted
      pneumonia and was laid up pretty bad for about two weeks. It was so
      severe I couldn't sleep in my own bed as it was too painful. I
      owned at that time a wing backed chair and learned I was very
      comfortable sleeping in it propped up by the wings. I slept in that
      chair for a full two weeks and felt very rested in the morning.
      When I saw a hammock chair on the internet it showed a person
      relaxing in it much like I did in that wing backed chair and I
      thought maybe it could be an alternative for those who find regular
      hammocks too uncomfortable or confining. I realize the mosquito
      netting, sleeping bag, winter insulation would all have to be
      redesigned for a system like this to work. I think a tent covered
      tripod frame could be designed with built in mosquito netting and
      windows for air venting. I believe that with some experimentation a
      person might produce a unique system. I think the Brazilian
      hammock chair style would be the best for support as the high walls
      lend to cradling the upper body. It has only one spreader bar so
      there still is an element for ease of lightweight camping. I would
      like to hear from anyone with some ideas or opinions on this. It is
      experimental in my head and I thought that in the future I might try
      to build something. Thanks for your time. Rick
    • sebastiantoney
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 8, 2007
        The topic on hammocks being too confining or not so comfortable keeps
        coming up on a variety of forums.

        I've though of making a chair hammock also. And I think you're right,
        Mayan based hammocks are very comfortable chairs because of the high
        sides. I would suggest making a Mayan/Speer style hammock, but pull
        one side tighter than the other. That way you've got a really nice
        back for one hammock. Maybe even whip the "backside" with a W whip and
        the foot side with a standard "gathering" whip. That way your back
        will have more support and your feet and knees would be more comfortable.

        Other than that, just hang it up like an other hammock. Since it'd be
        a chair there would be no need to make it 8 or 10 feet of fabric. I
        bet you could get away with 5 or 6 feet of fabric, this saving weight.

        You could even make a "gear" hammock to use as a foot stool.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 9, 2007
          I liked what you said and I do know a little about whipping knots
          but I can't see the picture you are trying to create. I am still
          fairly new to this although I have read a bit about it. Is there a
          pic or photo somewhere where I might get an idea what you mean? I
          like the hammock chair idea and want to give it a try. Thanks for
          your reply. Rick :)

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sebastiantoney"

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 10, 2007
              Check out Just Jeffs website for a primer on making hammocks:
              http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html

              Read that, then study what I wrote.

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "podlife59" <podlife59@...> wrote:

              > I liked what you said and I do know a little about whipping knots
              > but I can't see the picture you are trying to create. I am still
              > fairly new to this although I have read a bit about it. Is there a
              > pic or photo somewhere where I might get an idea what you mean? I
              > like the hammock chair idea and want to give it a try. Thanks for
              > your reply. Rick :)

            • podlife59
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 22, 2007
                Hello,
                I was surfing the internet and found this site with a hammock chair
                with a unique design and wanted to share it with you. It is called a
                Skychair.

                http://labiscreations.com/hammocks.html