Re: under-padding or insulation?

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7, 2007
      somewhere around 60 F for most folks. At 70 F it is still a good idea
      as you might get cool if it is breezy. The other day while hiking with
      Youngblood I got cold at around 70 but I was wet from swimming when we
      stopped for an afternoon rest break. You ask about padding so I'd say
      you wont need much insulation in WV at this time of year but I'd take
      something. A thin 1/4 in ccf pad has worked fine for me in summer. I
      got a little condensation but no more than when using a ccf pad on the
      ground. BTW, I was using a Big Agnes Dualcore (a 0 F simi inflatable
      pad) on this last trip and I sweated a little both nights but still did
      not have any major condensation issues. YMMV. Have a great trip!

      Coy Boy

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, John Cherry <jhc882003@...>
      wrote:

      > What would be considered a warm enough temperature to go without
      under-padding or insulation? Or should you always use some type of pad
      in the hammock? (I have a Hennessy). I am doing my first backpacking
      trip with a hammock on the Allegheny Trail in WV. Please advise. Thank
      you. John

    • Scott
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 7, 2007
        Yes, I would take something. It can still get pretty chilly at night. I
        always have my insulation on my hammock because without it I just get too
        cold. Most of my trips are in the mountains of Virginia and West Virginia.

        --
        Scott
        www.HikeHaven.com