under-padding or insulation?

  • John Cherry
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6, 2007
      What would be considered a warm enough temperature to go without under-padding or insulation? Or should you always use some type of pad in the hammock? (I have a Hennessy). I am doing my first backpacking trip with a hammock on the Allegheny Trail in WV. Please advise. Thank you. John

    • Coy
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 7, 2007
        somewhere around 60 F for most folks. At 70 F it is still a good idea
        as you might get cool if it is breezy. The other day while hiking with
        Youngblood I got cold at around 70 but I was wet from swimming when we
        stopped for an afternoon rest break. You ask about padding so I'd say
        you wont need much insulation in WV at this time of year but I'd take
        something. A thin 1/4 in ccf pad has worked fine for me in summer. I
        got a little condensation but no more than when using a ccf pad on the
        ground. BTW, I was using a Big Agnes Dualcore (a 0 F simi inflatable
        pad) on this last trip and I sweated a little both nights but still did
        not have any major condensation issues. YMMV. Have a great trip!

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, John Cherry <jhc882003@...>
        wrote:

        > What would be considered a warm enough temperature to go without
        under-padding or insulation? Or should you always use some type of pad
        in the hammock? (I have a Hennessy). I am doing my first backpacking
        trip with a hammock on the Allegheny Trail in WV. Please advise. Thank
        you. John

      • Scott
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 7, 2007
          Yes, I would take something. It can still get pretty chilly at night. I
          always have my insulation on my hammock because without it I just get too
          cold. Most of my trips are in the mountains of Virginia and West Virginia.

          --
          Scott
          www.HikeHaven.com