Hennesy and Laying Flat

  • Ken Zeigler
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 4 7:38 AM
      I've been reading posts on this site for some time now and I'm not
      sure that a hammock will work for me. I have a few questions for you
      experienced tree hangers that may help with my decision.

      1.) Does the Hennesy hammock actually allow you to lay flat?
      2.) Is the Hennesy the only hammock available (purchased or homemade)
      that allows you to lay flat or are there other brands?
      3.) For car camping, can the Hennesy be flipped over with the bug net
      underneath, for easy access during the day or on cold nights when no
      bug net is required.
      4.) Is the Hennesy the only hammock that has the side tie outs? I
      tried a Clark Jungle Hammock (borrowed from a friend) and didn't like
      the way it collapsed around me. I also felt the zippers were under to
      much stress, maybe I hung it incorrectly?
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 4 3:29 PM
        ken... i'm not a big fan of the hh, mostly because i don't like the fact that the net is permanently attached & so it's always there... even when you don't need it<g>.
        also, it keeps me from being to freely reach things around me like my stove & mocha.
        it also gets in the way of a crystal clear view of the world around me.
        but i'll make a few comments to your questions. then the hh users can share their thoughts. ### ... will be followed by my responses.

        Ken Zeigler <k.zeigler@...> wrote:
        I've been reading posts on this site for some time now and I'm not
        sure that a hammock will work for me. I have a few questions for you
        experienced tree hangers that may help with my decision.

        1.) Does the Hennesy hammock actually allow you to lay flat?
        ###...pretty close, but so will some of the wider top entry types like the speer hammock.

        2.) Is the Hennesy the only hammock available (purchased or homemade)
        that allows you to lay flat or are there other brands?
        ###... see answer to 1st question.

        3.) For car camping, can the Hennesy be flipped over with the bug net
        underneath, for easy access during the day or on cold nights when no
        bug net is required.
        ###... it can, but it seems that hammockers that use both the hh as well as the top entry types say it's just not as comfy in the chair mode as the top entry type.

        4.) Is the Hennesy the only hammock that has the side tie outs? I
        tried a Clark Jungle Hammock (borrowed from a friend) and didn't like
        the way it collapsed around me. I also felt the zippers were under to
        much stress, maybe I hung it incorrectly?
        ###... i can't answer your question about the clark, but as far as i know the hh may be the only one that comes w/ side tie outs. but adding those to a speer type hammock is easy enough.
        but that "canyon" effect is greatly reduced when you lay on the diagonal... head & shoulders slightly to one side & feet slightly to the other side.
        but i have taken my set-up a steep further. it's a home made speer type hammock that is more narrow (50" wide) & i added small, light weight attachment points on each side, above the head, that allow me to use my trekking pole as a spreader bar. to see pictures, go to http://hammockforums.net & look at slowhike's picture gallery. ...tim

      • Richard Perlman
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 5 8:38 AM
          > 3.) For car camping, can the Hennesy be flipped over with the bug net
          > underneath, for easy access during the day or on cold nights when no
          > bug net is required.
          > ###... it can, but it seems that hammockers that use both the hh as well as the top entry types say it's just not as comfy in the chair mode as the top entry type.

          With a Hennessey, you can't flip it 90º and sleep on the "bottom" as
          with some other. There's a permanent ridge line
          that prevents it from working.

          "Chair mode" is when you tuck one side into the other and sit or lounge
          in half the hammock.
          http://www.hennessyhammock.com/use-as-a-chair.html

          I have 2 different Hennesseys, but prefer a Speer for no bug weather.

          Rich
        • Richard Perlman
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 5 8:57 AM
            Richard Perlman wrote:
            >> 3.) For car camping, can the Hennesy be flipped over with the bug net
            >> underneath, for easy access during the day or on cold nights when no
            >> bug net is required.
            >> ###... it can, but it seems that hammockers that use both the hh as well as the top entry types say it's just not as comfy in the chair mode as the top entry type.
            >>

            > With a Hennessey, you can't flip it 90º and sleep on the "bottom" as
            > with some other. There's a permanent ridge line
            > that prevents it from working.

            WHOOPS!

            Make that 180º degrees. :-[

          • sebastiantoney
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 5 9:02 AM
              If you want a hammock that lays flat you need a very differnt type of
              hammock. HH, Clark, Speer, are all basically Mayan Indian style
              hammocks; they're shaped like bananas. But if you're much over 6 feet
              tall you'll never really lay flat and you'll never be as comfortable as
              anyone under 6 feet tall. The only way to truly lay flat is to increase
              the width of the hammock. If you increase the width to where you can lay
              90 degrees to the ridgeline you could lay completely flat. In comes the:
              Bridge Hammock
              <If%20you%20want%20a%20hammock%20that%20lays%20flat%20you%20need%20a%20v\
              ery%20differnt%20type%20of%20hammock.%20HH,%20Clark,%20Speer,%20are%20al\
              l%20basically%20Mayan%20Indian%20style%20hammocks;%20they%27re%20shaped%\
              20like%20bananas.%20But%20if%20you%27re%20much%20over%206%20feet%20tall%\
              20you%27ll%20never%20really%20lay%20flat%20and%20you%27ll%20never%20be%2\
              0as%20comfortable%20as%20anyone%20under%206%20feet%20tall.%20The%20only%\
              20way%20to%20truly%20lay%20flat%20is%20to%20increase%20the%20width%20of%\
              20the%20hammock.%20If%20you%20increase%20the%20width%20to%20where%20you%\
              20can%20lay%2090%20degrees%20to%20the%20ridgeline%20you%20could%20lay%20\
              completely%20flat.%20In%20comes%20the%20Bridge%20Hammock:%20http://austr\
              alianheritagefleet.com.au/SpecEv/Hammock.html> .

              Check out the Bridge Hammocks some of us are working on over at the
              Hammock forums

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Zeigler" <k.zeigler@...>
              wrote:

              > I've been reading posts on this site for some time now and I'm not
              > sure that a hammock will work for me. I have a few questions for you
              > experienced tree hangers that may help with my decision.
              >
              > 1.) Does the Hennesy hammock actually allow you to lay flat?
              > 2.) Is the Hennesy the only hammock available (purchased or homemade)
              > that allows you to lay flat or are there other brands?
              > 3.) For car camping, can the Hennesy be flipped over with the bug net
              > underneath, for easy access during the day or on cold nights when no
              > bug net is required.
              > 4.) Is the Hennesy the only hammock that has the side tie outs? I
              > tried a Clark Jungle Hammock (borrowed from a friend) and didn't like
              > the way it collapsed around me. I also felt the zippers were under to
              > much stress, maybe I hung it incorrectly?

            • Randal Swink
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 5 1:14 PM
                Wow, I cannot even figure out where these links belong.

                On 7/5/07, sebastiantoney <funbun2@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > I've been reading posts on this site for some time now and I'm not
                > > sure that a hammock will work for me. I have a few questions for you
                > > experienced tree hangers that may help with my decision.
                > >
                > > 1.) Does the Hennesy hammock actually allow you to lay flat?
                > > 2.) Is the Hennesy the only hammock available (purchased or homemade)
                > > that allows you to lay flat or are there other brands?
                > > 3.) For car camping, can the Hennesy be flipped over with the bug net
                > > underneath, for easy access during the day or on cold nights when no
                > > bug net is required.
                > > 4.) Is the Hennesy the only hammock that has the side tie outs? I
                > > tried a Clark Jungle Hammock (borrowed from a friend) and didn't like
                > > the way it collapsed around me. I also felt the zippers were under to
                > > much stress, maybe I hung it incorrectly?

              • Stuhr, Tim
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 5 2:20 PM
                  Even if you convert the HH ridgeline to a removable ridgeline it's not best to just lay in without the ridgeline fastened. I have converted my ridgeline to be removable and here's my observations.

                  1. The length of the netting is less that the length of the hammock. By laying on the netting or turning the hammock upside down and laying on it you could possibly stretch or tear the netting.

                  2. The width of the netting is not as wide as the width of the hammock bed. This would reduce the usable width of the hammock and not allow you to get as diagonal or flat.

                  Stoikurt

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 6 4:35 AM
                    This looks pretty flat and could easily be made into a hammock or
                    considered a hammock as it is:
                    http://www.abledata.com/abledata.cfm?pageid=19327&top=12660&productid=79349&trail=0&discontinued=0
                    .

                    I'm not sure you want total flatness, shelter floors are truely flat
                    and are very uncomfortable. What most people want are a straight
                    spline and that is the claim of that suspended hammock from the site
                    you are referring to. But even with a flat surface you need some
                    cushioning to get a relatively straight spine without uncomfortable
                    pressure points and there is more than one way to do that. On a
                    shelter floor it takes about a 3 inch air mattress of some type for me
                    to be comfortable. On a hammock that you can get relatively flat in,
                    you still need the hammock fabric to stretch and conform to the shape
                    of your body so that you don't have uncomfortable pressure points and
                    can get your spline relatively straight... otherwise you are back to
                    the hard, flat shelter floor syndrome.

                    Dave Womble
                    aka Youngblood
                    Designer of the Speer SPE and SnugFit Underquilt

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sebastiantoney" <funbun2@...>
                    wrote:

> [...]
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I've been reading posts on this site for some time now and I'm not
                    > > sure that a hammock will work for me. I have a few questions for you
                    > > experienced tree hangers that may help with my decision.
                    > >
                    > > 1.) Does the Hennesy hammock actually allow you to lay flat?
                    > > 2.) Is the Hennesy the only hammock available (purchased or homemade)
                    > > that allows you to lay flat or are there other brands?
                    > > 3.) For car camping, can the Hennesy be flipped over with the bug net
                    > > underneath, for easy access during the day or on cold nights when no
                    > > bug net is required.
                    > > 4.) Is the Hennesy the only hammock that has the side tie outs? I
                    > > tried a Clark Jungle Hammock (borrowed from a friend) and didn't like
                    > > the way it collapsed around me. I also felt the zippers were under to
                    > > much stress, maybe I hung it incorrectly?

                  • Scott Schroeder
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 6 5:07 AM
                      Hey Dave,
                      I think this new style of hammock has a lot of potential.
                      It's definitely not like laying on the ground! :)
                      I uploaded a pic in the photo section under Scott's stuff.
                      This link may work though *http://tinyurl.com/285qyx*
                      As you can see the fabric is supporting the entire contour of my body.
                      The way this type of hammock is designed has allowed me to implement some
                      things I found hard on the other hammocks.
                      I was inspired by something you wrote and it led to an adjustable insulation
                      system.
                      I wrote about here *http://tinyurl.com/2a78mp*
                      You'll note I linked to your message.
                      I'd like to hear your thoughts on possible fabric and insulation
                      choices/combinations that might make this work like a layering system we use
                      for our clothing.
                      Scott

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 7 7:03 AM
                          I think Scott is right. I've been away from home for the Holiday. But
                          Iplan to start back working on my Bridge Hammock today.

                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Schroeder"

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 7 7:22 AM
                            Dave, I think you will like the design possibilities with this hammock. It
                            seems there is a lot of room for innovation.

                            Scott

                            On 7/6/07, Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:

                            > Scott,
                            >
                            > That is a lot of reading material, it will take a while for me to get
                            > through all that.
                            >
                            > Dave Womble
                            > aka Youngblood
                            > Designer of the Speer SPE and SnugFit Underquilt

                          • docteric
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 10 5:51 PM
                              I made up a quick "bridge hammock" prototype last week and it works
                              really well. It's not quite as stable as my Speer but it is more
                              comfortable for me. While I haven't done it yet, I'll be making a more
                              usable one out of nylon and puting a bug net on it similar to the
                              Mosquito Traveler. I'm anticipating using hiking poles as the braces
                              so I won't have to lug another item.

                              I've actually been a bit bored with hammocks this year as I pretty much
                              settled on a set up I liked and there wasn't much of a reason to try
                              new stuff. Now there is. I get to spend lots of time and money
                              again. Whahoo!