RE: [Hammock Camping] Hanging distance?

  • Martin Mendelson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2007
      With a ridgeline probably a little less than 8 feet or the limits of the
      ridgeline whichever comes first. Without a ridgeline probably 9 to 10 feet.

      Really a lot depends on your comfort level. For instance a Speer 8.5 can
      probably be pulled taunt between to trees 9 feet apart but then you have to
      deal with shoulder squeeze issues. On an Hennessey that won't be an issue
      but getting in and out without stepping on exposed roots could be an issue.

      I believe that most hammock manufactures recommend something in the 10 to 14
      foot region as optimal.

      Marty

      _____

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2007
        If you are car camping and you need more length you can do this:
        http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/singlepolehammock.htm

        There is a good thread on this at hammockforums.net .

        --
        Scott
        www.HikeHaven.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 4, 2007
          It is going to depend on the size of the hammock or if you use a tarp
          with it, the size of the tarp. The tarp should extend past the
          hammock a bit.

          Youngblood

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Mendelson"