Hanging distance?

  • steve_n0tu
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2007
      So what's the shortest dstance between supports you can hang a
      hammock in and still have it properly supported and hung?

      Tks, Steve

      Don't own a hammock yet (soon to be remedied)
    • Martin Mendelson
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2007
        With a ridgeline probably a little less than 8 feet or the limits of the
        ridgeline whichever comes first. Without a ridgeline probably 9 to 10 feet.

        Really a lot depends on your comfort level. For instance a Speer 8.5 can
        probably be pulled taunt between to trees 9 feet apart but then you have to
        deal with shoulder squeeze issues. On an Hennessey that won't be an issue
        but getting in and out without stepping on exposed roots could be an issue.

        I believe that most hammock manufactures recommend something in the 10 to 14
        foot region as optimal.

        Marty

        _____

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 3, 2007
          If you are car camping and you need more length you can do this:
          http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/singlepolehammock.htm

          There is a good thread on this at hammockforums.net .

          --
          Scott
          www.HikeHaven.com

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 4, 2007
            It is going to depend on the size of the hammock or if you use a tarp
            with it, the size of the tarp. The tarp should extend past the
            hammock a bit.

            Youngblood

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Mendelson"