One tree hammock camping

  • kf7gd
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2007
      Hello, I trying to support one end of my hammock.

      Currently fiddling with 2 2 by 4s about 6ft long with a bolt joining them.

      I have tried various stakes and they all pull up easily when I put
      weight on my hammock (I weigh about 170lbs).

      Current fix for backyard camping with the boys is to use 15 ft of
      nesting antenna mast across the top of the 2by 4's to the tree on the
      other side. The mast material is steel so the only problem I see is
      if it bows and crumples, also ok for car camping but not so good for
      hiking.

      Suggestions and comments welcome.

      Art.
    • Carey Parks
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2007
        I don't know what your solution may be, but it's all about the angles. If
        you use a tall pole, and let the hammock sag you will put more weight
        straight into the ground thru the pole, and less will be on the stake.
        Starting with a vertial hang really multiplies the force.

        For a given height pole and hang angle, the farther away from the pole you
        plant the stake, the less total pull there will be on it, and way less of it
        will be pulling up. But you will get more stretch.

        Something that grabs some soil like angle iron is better than a skinny spike
        like rebar.

        But exactly what will work for each location will vary.

        Cheers,

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2, 2007
          Yep I was not very clear on what I am trying now. I gave up on a
          stake and put up a bipod on one end (2 2by 4's joined at the center)
          and put a 15foot long piece of antenna mast between the bipod and the
          tree on the other end. The bipod has one end of the hammock tied to
          it to hold everything together. I guess its kind of like 1/2 an A
          frame house.

          Ill try some angle iron, but will probably not be able to get it in
          the ground. Washington has lots of rocks (at least this part) so I
          need to do some head scratching. I think I understand the angles I
          have moved the stake 10 feet from the bipod it lasts longer but still
          pulls out. Maybe Ill try a plate with several ground stakes (it would
          be easier to pack than 15 feet of antenna mast!)

          thanks for the help!

          Art.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2, 2007
            some one recently said some thing that got me thinking about something close to what you're talking about.
            what if you used a tri pod instead of a bi pod? you might even be able to use a tri pod on each end if you came up w/ a way to brace it well enough to keep it from twisting.
            for the ridge pole you could use the top rail that is used on a chain link fence. it has a flare on one end so you could take the ridge pole apart for travel.
            some of the same parts used for a chain link fence might could be used to connect the tri pod together??? ...tim

            kf7gd <kf7gd@...> wrote:
            Yep I was not very clear on what I am trying now. I gave up on a
            stake and put up a bipod on one end (2 2by 4's joined at the center)
            and put a 15foot long piece of antenna mast between the bipod and the
            tree on the other end. The bipod has one end of the hammock tied to
            it to hold everything together. I guess its kind of like 1/2 an A
            frame house.

            Ill try some angle iron, but will probably not be able to get it in
            the ground. Washington has lots of rocks (at least this part) so I
            need to do some head scratching. I think I understand the angles I
            have moved the stake 10 feet from the bipod it lasts longer but still
            pulls out. Maybe Ill try a plate with several ground stakes (it would
            be easier to pack than 15 feet of antenna mast!)

            thanks for the help!

            Art.

          • Scott
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 2, 2007
              I have to think about it a little bit more, but I bet you could hook the
              hammock line to the center of the tripod; on the bottom. Thus, the force
              would be pulling the legs into the ground. Then you could hook chains, or
              something between the legs to prevent them from spreading too far.

              You would have to find a good way to connect the pieces to form the tripod
              to make it work.

              --
              Scott
              www.AntiFuel.com

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 3, 2007
                if you used a rigid pole from tri pod to tri pod & attached the hammock supports to the pole to stretch the hammock out, all the force from the hammock would be strait down... except when you swing.

                Scott <hacktorious@...> wrote: I have to think about it a little bit more, but I bet you could hook the