Re: My first stealth camping night

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2007
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dt king" <whipmaker@...> wrote:

      <snip>

      >My headlamp has a flashing mode, so I hung it on a tree as a
      > return beacon. Used my tiny backup light for walking. Seems
      > dangerously high tech. What do other people do to keep from getting
      > lost in the dark?

      You need to be careful with that as you can get turned around real
      easy at night.

      Personally, I use a small backup LED on a loop of string around my
      neck and one of the newer LED headlamps that I upgraded to that has
      both a 1 watt LED and several of the lesser LED's-- with that it has
      either a spot light or a proximity light. If I am going to walk away
      from my hammock I position the small backup LED to light up my tarp
      and use the 1 Watt mode of the other light to light up my path. The
      higher powered LED lights are usually focused as a spot light or a
      flood light while the weaker LED lights are basically proximity
      lighting. As I understand it, LED proximity lighting is a wide angle
      light that lights up everything in front of you for up to 10 feet or
      so, a LED flood light is a narrower beam with a higher output LED
      designed primarily to light up what is 20 to 50 feet away and a 1W LED
      spot light has an even narrower beam and primarily designed to light
      up what is 50 to 150 feet away. Of course, I am pulled those numbers
      our of the air to try to point out the differences and there are
      certainly higher output light sources that carry a lot further.

      But, a light isn't just a light. My reasoning is that basically you
      need, or would like to have, proximity lighting to do stuff within
      arms reach at your campsite, you would want a flood light to light up
      a path ahead of you, and a spot light to locate or find things at a
      distance.

      But for nature calls I generally use a pee bottle, the proximity light
      on the LED headlamp, and stay in my hammock... especially when it is cold.

      Youngblood