My first stealth camping night

  • dt king
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2007
      I was here: http://tinyurl.com/39nbl7

      It's only about a mile from my house; easy overnighter with my
      daypack. Two liters of water, no food. Explored the park for a
      couple of hours -- the early blueberries are nummy. Took too long to
      find a good spot, so tied up using my headlamp.

      I'd hoped that my light 45 degree fleece bag would be ok for a mild
      night in my clothes. No. With the low sinking to the upper 50s, I
      added my car shade mylar+foam pad, bandanna head cover and my backup
      space blanket. Need to see if I can fit my fluffy sleeping bag on
      that pack.

      Clear sky, so tried using my tarp in the stuff bag for a pillow. Not
      comfortable. Maybe try something inflatable next time.

      Of course, when you're cold at night, you pee a lot. I wanted to get
      away from the hammock, but I was also concerned about losing it in the
      dark. My headlamp has a flashing mode, so I hung it on a tree as a
      return beacon. Used my tiny backup light for walking. Seems
      dangerously high tech. What do other people do to keep from getting
      lost in the dark?
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2007
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dt king" <whipmaker@...> wrote:

        <snip>

        >My headlamp has a flashing mode, so I hung it on a tree as a
        > return beacon. Used my tiny backup light for walking. Seems
        > dangerously high tech. What do other people do to keep from getting
        > lost in the dark?

        You need to be careful with that as you can get turned around real
        easy at night.

        Personally, I use a small backup LED on a loop of string around my
        neck and one of the newer LED headlamps that I upgraded to that has
        both a 1 watt LED and several of the lesser LED's-- with that it has
        either a spot light or a proximity light. If I am going to walk away
        from my hammock I position the small backup LED to light up my tarp
        and use the 1 Watt mode of the other light to light up my path. The
        higher powered LED lights are usually focused as a spot light or a
        flood light while the weaker LED lights are basically proximity
        lighting. As I understand it, LED proximity lighting is a wide angle
        light that lights up everything in front of you for up to 10 feet or
        so, a LED flood light is a narrower beam with a higher output LED
        designed primarily to light up what is 20 to 50 feet away and a 1W LED
        spot light has an even narrower beam and primarily designed to light
        up what is 50 to 150 feet away. Of course, I am pulled those numbers
        our of the air to try to point out the differences and there are
        certainly higher output light sources that carry a lot further.

        But, a light isn't just a light. My reasoning is that basically you
        need, or would like to have, proximity lighting to do stuff within
        arms reach at your campsite, you would want a flood light to light up
        a path ahead of you, and a spot light to locate or find things at a
        distance.

        But for nature calls I generally use a pee bottle, the proximity light
        on the LED headlamp, and stay in my hammock... especially when it is cold.

        Youngblood