Re: Hammock Basics?

  • basshigh88
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 29, 2007
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "steve_n0tu" <s2ranch@...> wrote:

      > I'm enticed to purchase a hammock! Been reading about them and a little
      > confused about the condensation issue and the mirade of accessories and
      > continued discussions on on pads, underquits and nests etc.
      >
      > Ok so once I have my hammock what else do I need to stay warm? And
      > what's the deal on condensation? That word scares me as I have down
      > bags! I've been a using a tent/tarp as a ground hugger for years. My
      > normal setup for tent/tarp in CO backpacking down to about 30F is my
      > 30F down bag on top of a Prolite 3/4 foam pad. I use my bag half
      > unzipped quilt style and sleep in silk tights (top and bottom) If it's
      > gonna be really cool I add more layers of fleece (tops and bottoms)and
      > ski hat. I don't normally sweat and tend to side sleep the best. But I
      > think that's because on the ground back sleeping usually isn't to
      > comfortable for me?
      >
      > The lightweight, quick setup and getting up the off the bumpy ground
      > aspect of hanging between trees sounds kinda appealing! Can I adapt the
      > gear I own now to 'hanging' or do I need another whole $$investment to
      > outfit my self for hammocks? Are there any hammock tutorial sites
      > around?
      >
      > Thanks, Steve

      Check out www.tothewoods.net and go to the hammock camping section.
      Great information for newbies.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 30, 2007
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "steve_n0tu" <s2ranch@...> wrote:

        > I'm enticed to purchase a hammock! Been reading about them and a little
        > confused about the condensation issue and the mirade of accessories and
        > continued discussions on on pads, underquits and nests etc.
        >
        > Ok so once I have my hammock what else do I need to stay warm? And
        > what's the deal on condensation? That word scares me as I have down
        > bags! I've been a using a tent/tarp as a ground hugger for years. My
        > normal setup for tent/tarp in CO backpacking down to about 30F is my
        > 30F down bag on top of a Prolite 3/4 foam pad. I use my bag half
        > unzipped quilt style and sleep in silk tights (top and bottom) If it's
        > gonna be really cool I add more layers of fleece (tops and bottoms)and
        > ski hat. I don't normally sweat and tend to side sleep the best. But I
        > think that's because on the ground back sleeping usually isn't to
        > comfortable for me?
        >
        > The lightweight, quick setup and getting up the off the bumpy ground
        > aspect of hanging between trees sounds kinda appealing! Can I adapt the
        > gear I own now to 'hanging' or do I need another whole $$investment to
        > outfit my self for hammocks? Are there any hammock tutorial sites
        > around?
        >
        > Thanks, Steve

        Steve, you have a lot of questions. Good questions, but a lot of them
        and you probably aren't going to get all the answers you seek in a
        nicely laid out package. Ed Speer's book comes closest to doing that
        for backpacking hammocks and will do a good job of answering your
        questions but what it can't do is tell you all the hammock related
        gear that has been introduced since he wrote it. Heck, new hammock
        gear gets introduced all the time so no written document can stay up
        to date on all of that. But Ed's book covers what was available at
        that time, the tradeoffs associated with them, and the basics of
        hammock camping. Nobody has come out with anything particularly earth
        shattering since then, just different ways of doing the same things,
        some with improvements and some with just a different set of tradeoffs.

        Basically you have a couple of classes of hammocks, bottom entry and
        top entry. They have their tradeoffs like ease of entry, using as a
        camp chair, how they handle insulation, comfort, etc. And within each
        subset there are tradeoffs as well-- size versus comfort and weight,
        how they handle bugnets, two-layer bottom for inserting pads, etc.

        Then you have tarps and the issues associated with them-- coverage,
        weight, ease of setup, wind protection, does it sag to much, does it
        easily shed rain and or snow, etc.

        Once you get past all those issues, then you have the issue of bottom
        side insulation. There is using pads, underquilts, sleeping bags
        designed to enclose a hammock, insulated hammocks, or even a double
        bottom where you put loose or bagged insulation in it. (And this is
        where the condensation issue you mentioned comes in to play...
        breathable bottom side insulation versus non-breathable bottom side
        insulation. The pad you currently sleep on is non-breathable and tent
        floors are non-breathable, you don't have a choice with that when you
        sleep on the ground. In a hammock you do have a choice, you can use
        breathable bottom side insulation if you choose and have less issues
        with insensible perspiration or even sensible perspiration (sweat).)

        It can get rather involved to work through all that, and there are a
        lot of opinions on what works well and what doesn't. And of course,
        some options cost more than others.

        Dave Womble
        aka Youngblood
        Developer of the Speer SPE and SnugFit Underquilt
      • steve_n0tu
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 30, 2007
          Dave your reply was most helpful! Thanks!

          It appears I've got a lot to learn and experience w/hammocks. Yet
          another journey begins. Steve