poncho tarp for HH

  • Brian Lewis
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 27, 2007
      I wonder if anyone has specific advice as to the right poncho to use
      in a dual-use role as a hammock tarp? I've looked at what's
      discussed on line, particularly at http://www.tothewoods.net/ but I'm
      hoping to get more specific feedback here.

      I've decided that I'm going to give hammock camping another try, but
      one of my concerns is the overall weight of the package, as compared
      to what I'm comfortable in on the ground (solo tarptent, lightest
      available partial-length thermarest). Given that I'm using two
      underpads now for my HH backpacker a-sym, that delta is about 17 oz,
      just over a pound. Ouch!

      However --- I like hiking with a poncho, and the tarp portion of my
      hammock system weighs 7.6 oz, so if I could find a good poncho that
      does a good enough job as a hammock tarp, then I'm down to about a 10
      oz delta. At least on some trips this might be worth it for the
      flexibility the hammock gives me.

      The long diagonal of the HH-supplied tarp is 122", so in an ideal
      world I'd find a poncho with a long diagonal close to that, if not
      indeed slightly longer.

      My existing Campmor (aka Terrapin) poncho is a 58" x 90" rectangle,
      hence has a long diagonal of 107". I haven't actually tried it yet,
      but that's a lot shorter.
      They make an "extension" poncho that's longer (104" vs. 90"), which
      brings the diagonal to 119". This sounds pretty good, except you
      can't specify color when ordering this, and mine is a bold blue ---
      horrible for "stealth camping". And the side snaps on mine are so
      stiff that I need something like a knife blade to open them.

      The 10 oz Integral Designs poncho has a long dimension of 113" ---
      still quite a bit shorter than the supplied HH. Maybe this would be
      adequate with some sort of end pieces to keep the weather out.

      Mountain Laurel Designs has a large silnylon poncho/shelter that's a
      whopping 9' (108") long. It's not a neat rectangle, so harder to
      estimate the diagonal length, but I guesstimate 124". But this thing
      is made to pitch as a tent, with a catenary curve sewn in, so I'm not
      sure how well it would work to try to pull it out diagonally.

      The other poncho options I've encountered on line are all smaller.

      So --- apart perhaps (fumble-fingers can-hardly-sew me) from making
      my own, I wonder if anyone on this list is using an off-the-shelf
      poncho as a tarp and can comment as to how well it covers their
      hammock at night in heavy rain, etc?

      Thanks in advance ---

      Brian Lewis
    • Dick Matthews
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 27, 2007
        Brian,

        GoLite has a poncho in a stealthy green:

        http://www.golite.com/product/productdetail.aspx?p=AC0207&s=1

        The Campmor Extension poncho is actually made by Equinox:

        EQUINOX SILNYLON PONCHO WITH WEB BELT 9.3
        GOLITE SILNYLON PONCHO WITH WEB BELT 10.7

        Either one will keep a bottom entry hammock dry. I like to hang my fly
        pretty flat so that I can see out of the hammock. The hood turns into a
        funnel when hung flat.

        Solutions:
        1. Suspend the hood from an overhead branch with a cord,

        2. Pitch the poncho so the hood opening is steep, or

        3. Put a plastic bag/ground cloth under the hood opening.

        My weights include the following modifications:

        1. Replace the hood drawstring with a longer triptease string and add a
        cord lock,

        2, Add parachute cord finger loops on the side guy loops, and

        3. Install a .5" web belt with side release buckle.

        The GoLite also has guy loops in the middle of the short sides, has a
        better color choice, but is heavier.

        Dick Matthews

      • Brian Lewis
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 28, 2007
          Perfect --- thanks, Dick. I thought I had surveyed the poncho
          options pretty thoroughly, somehow I mistakenly thought the Golite
          poncho was smaller. Same size as the (Equinox) Terrapin/Campmor
          extension but without the color problem. At 3 oz heavier than my
          Campmor/Terrapin regular length poncho, I'm not netting as much
          weight savings as I'd like, but I might just give up the rain jacket
          I also carry, and it does give me more square inches of coverage for
          whatever various ways I might use it.

          The BPL review of the 2005 model likes it well enough, save for some
          concern about the strength of the tie-outs. I can perhaps do a
          little stitchery to reinforce the key diagonal tie-outs if Golite
          themselves haven't fixed that in the more recent model.

          Web belt is a good idea; I think I'll start with a thin elastic band
          and thin cord locks and see if that works for me.

          Have you tried rolling the hood? The MLD poncho uses that approach
          when pitching as a shelter:
          http://tinyurl.com/2fkxdo

          I was thinking of little velcro patches to hold the rolled-up hood in
          place, but it might be that the hood has to be designed to make it
          water-tight in that configuration.

          Two of your hood-sealing options require special situations; could
          you elaborate on the third? "Put a plastic bag/ground cloth under the
          hood opening." Are you talking about attaching it somehow directly
          to the poncho underneath, or ... ?

          I'm definitely going for the Golite poncho (thanks again!). Once it
          arrives I guess I'll have to get out the garden hose and do some
          backyard experimenting with hood closures.

          Brian Lewis
        • Dick Matthews
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 28, 2007
            Brian,

            The GoLite appears to be made with the 1.9 oz. silnylon rather than the
            1.1 oz.

            I may have exaggerated the hood opening problem. I like to pitch the
            fly very flat for visibility and had one bad experience. As long as
            there is enough slope to the poncho that water does not puddle then the
            hood opening should not be a problem.

            I carry a Gossamer Gear Spinnsheet (3.3 oz.) for a packing and unpacking
            area. It can be thrown over the hammock ridgeline and secured with
            binder clips under the hood opening.

            The GoLite is a good piece of gear. I hope it fits your style.

            Dick Matthews