Re: [Hammock Camping] Hennessey Hammock underblanket experiences?

  • Brian Lewis
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 27, 2007
      "Did you get the underpad as well? You need both (super shelter) for
      it to function properly. I can use mine down to about 50-55 degrees
      or so with both the under pad and undercover."

      I stopped posting to this group a while back when I found I always
      got a crick in my back in my hammock. When I recently got the same
      crick in my back on the ground in my new tent --- I gave the hammock
      another try the night before last.

      Keeping warm with the super shelter system was a problem for me too --
      - 50 to 55 degrees sounds about right to me, despite the arctic tales
      on the HH website. Last year I bought a second underpad, and that
      helps substantially. I slept near (not quite at) an altitude where
      snow still lingers the night before last, temp getting down to maybe
      40 degrees but also fairly windy, which I think affects things a
      lot. The double underpad definitely helped, though I was also
      augmenting this with a torso-length (Gossamer Gear nightlite) pad
      butt-centered, and a fair bit of clothing. Still got the dang back-
      crick, but as usual it was gone in the morning and I felt fine.

      I was pleased to find that I can get the hammock (backpacker a-sym)
      and undercover and *both* underpads left assembled and all stuffed
      into a compression stuff sack, and reef down hard on the straps to
      get the overall volume under reasonable control. Still a big lump to
      pack but it's do-able, and I keep coming back to the hammock because
      the Pacific NW is full of trees --- and I really really like the
      ability to hike late in the day and then camp almost anywhere.

      Now, if I could just get the weight of the hammock combo down to at
      least reasonably close to what my tarptent combo weighs ...

      Brian Lewis
    • hacktorious
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 27, 2007
        I had similar concerns when I first started backpacking with a
        hammock. I have learned to live with a little extra weight because
        the comfort makes up for it. My setup weighs under 3.5lbs. My
        over-quilt adds an additional 20oz.

        I have since decided to reduce the weight of my pack by reducing, or
        getting rid of other items.

        Now if I could only find an inexpensive GPS watch. All I need is
        something that can give me coordinates of my current position. My
        Garmin is too heavy. I am considering engineering my own solution.
        Hmmm, I getting off topic..........

      • list@moz.geek.nz
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 28, 2007
          > "Did you get the underpad as well? You need both (super shelter) for
          > it to function properly.

          Yes, sorry, I should have said. Thanks for the comments, at least I'm
          not alone :) I will try finding more foam and filling up the area more
          and see what happens.

          thanks
          Moz
        • Scott
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 28, 2007
            It really isn't a bad setup, especially for warmer weather. I used it the
            other day and the temp was in the mid 60's and I comfortable. A few times I
            uncovered in the night because I was warm. I would not recommend using it
            without more insulation below 45*F.

            --
            Scott
            www.AntiFuel.com