Hennessey Hammock underblanket experiences?

  • list@moz.geek.nz
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 26, 2007
      Hi all,

      I'm currently cycling around Queensland and it's been rainy but not really
      cold - perhaps 10 degrees Celcius overnight lows. I bought the HH
      underblanket hoping that it would mean I didn't need a thermarest in the
      hammock. But no luck so far - even after pinning the cover to the hammock
      to try to reduce air circulation the wind still chills me very effectively.
      So I'm using a thermarest inside the hammock still.

      Does anyone have on-the-road type tips for making this work better?

      thanks
      Moz
    • Scott
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 26, 2007
        I am assuming you mean the undercover.

        Did you get the underpad as well? You need both (super shelter) for it to
        function properly.

        I can use mine down to about 50-55 degrees or so with both the under pad and
        undercover.

        --
        Scott
        www.AntiFuel.com

      • Brian Lewis
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 27, 2007
          "Did you get the underpad as well? You need both (super shelter) for
          it to function properly. I can use mine down to about 50-55 degrees
          or so with both the under pad and undercover."

          I stopped posting to this group a while back when I found I always
          got a crick in my back in my hammock. When I recently got the same
          crick in my back on the ground in my new tent --- I gave the hammock
          another try the night before last.

          Keeping warm with the super shelter system was a problem for me too --
          - 50 to 55 degrees sounds about right to me, despite the arctic tales
          on the HH website. Last year I bought a second underpad, and that
          helps substantially. I slept near (not quite at) an altitude where
          snow still lingers the night before last, temp getting down to maybe
          40 degrees but also fairly windy, which I think affects things a
          lot. The double underpad definitely helped, though I was also
          augmenting this with a torso-length (Gossamer Gear nightlite) pad
          butt-centered, and a fair bit of clothing. Still got the dang back-
          crick, but as usual it was gone in the morning and I felt fine.

          I was pleased to find that I can get the hammock (backpacker a-sym)
          and undercover and *both* underpads left assembled and all stuffed
          into a compression stuff sack, and reef down hard on the straps to
          get the overall volume under reasonable control. Still a big lump to
          pack but it's do-able, and I keep coming back to the hammock because
          the Pacific NW is full of trees --- and I really really like the
          ability to hike late in the day and then camp almost anywhere.

          Now, if I could just get the weight of the hammock combo down to at
          least reasonably close to what my tarptent combo weighs ...

          Brian Lewis
        • hacktorious
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 27, 2007
            I had similar concerns when I first started backpacking with a
            hammock. I have learned to live with a little extra weight because
            the comfort makes up for it. My setup weighs under 3.5lbs. My
            over-quilt adds an additional 20oz.

            I have since decided to reduce the weight of my pack by reducing, or
            getting rid of other items.

            Now if I could only find an inexpensive GPS watch. All I need is
            something that can give me coordinates of my current position. My
            Garmin is too heavy. I am considering engineering my own solution.
            Hmmm, I getting off topic..........

          • list@moz.geek.nz
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 28, 2007
              > "Did you get the underpad as well? You need both (super shelter) for
              > it to function properly.

              Yes, sorry, I should have said. Thanks for the comments, at least I'm
              not alone :) I will try finding more foam and filling up the area more
              and see what happens.

              thanks
              Moz
            • Scott
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 28, 2007
                It really isn't a bad setup, especially for warmer weather. I used it the
                other day and the temp was in the mid 60's and I comfortable. A few times I
                uncovered in the night because I was warm. I would not recommend using it
                without more insulation below 45*F.

                --
                Scott
                www.AntiFuel.com