[Hammock Camping] Re: Looking for an inexpensive hammock

  • beentomadrid
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 26, 2007
      Mary,

      I saw this at REI. It looks like it would fit in a good sized tent.
      You would have to try it out to see if it would work for your
      condition. Seems like it had a fair amount of sag when I tried it in
      the store.

      http://www.rei.com/product/708210?vcat=REI_SEARCH

      Doug Campbell

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Neal" <sisjake@...>
      wrote:

      > We've used air mattresses in the past, that isn't really what I
      need. I
      > also have acid reflux and need to sleep in a semi-sitting
      position. I won't
      > let my health problems interfere with my camping, so I am looking
      for some
      > way to adjust. I already own a Paco Pad, which is top of the line,
      > self-inflatable and insulated...but it is just not enough. In a
      pinch I can
      > prop myself up on duffles but even that gets uncomfortable after
      awhile.
      > Mary
      >
      > >From: "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@...>
      > >To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      > >Subject: [Hammock Camping] Re: Looking for an inexpensive hammock
      > >Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 22:13:08 -0000
      > >
      > >If you want to sleep in a tent with your family, you might just
      want
      > >more cushioned pads or cots. Air mattress for camping that are 3
      > >inches or so thick are likely what you want and can be had with
      > >insulation inside them or without insulation. The department
      stores
      > >sell uninsulated ones for car camping in various sizes with manual
      > >pumps or pumps you can plug into your car's cigarette lighter and
      > >those are probably 6 inches or so thick. The least expensive ones
      > >don't have insulation but you can use the insulation in the pads
      you
      > >have now by stacking them on top of the air mats and securing them
      > >with one of several means if you need to, the simplest is just a
      pair
      > >of ribbons sewn together in the appropriate length loop that wraps
      > >around both pads. How cold do you expect it to get... you are
      likely
      > >to need some insulation underneath you as well as cushioning?
      > >
      > >Youngblood
      > >
      > >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Neal" <sisjake@>
      wrote:

      > > > I am looking for an inexpensive hammock. We (three kids and I)
      are
      > >going on
      > > > a three week road camping trip to Alaska from Pennsylvania. I
      found
      > >out
      > > > this last weekend that my "older" bones cannot handle just a
      > >sleeping pad
      > > > anymore (I have a ruptured disk in my lower back). I am open
      for
      > > > suggestions as to what type of portable, folding hammock to get,
      > >space is at
      > > > a premium as we are travelling in a four-door Saturn. The
      hammock
      > >will be
      > > > put up inside the tent. I have looked at the one from Walmart,
      and the
      > > > Kelsyus. Any other suggestions?
      > > > Mary

      > > > Make every IM count. Download Messenger and join the i'm
      Initiative
      > >now.
      > > > It's free. http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?
      source=TAGHM_June07

      > Don't miss your chance to WIN $10,000 and other great prizes from
      Microsoft
      > Office Live http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0540003042mrt/direct/01/

    • Stuhr, Tim
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 26, 2007
        The Bed, Bath and Beyond had one of those out front of their store here
        a few weeks ago. I tried to lay in it and it just didn't feel real
        stable to me.

        Stoikurt