[Hammock Camping] Re: Looking for an inexpensive hammock

  • Sandy Kramer
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 26, 2007
      Here's the Byer's of Maine Mosquito Traveler (has bug net, but no
      tarp) for $40. http://www.ccoutdoorstore.com/bymotrha.html

      I was in Punta Cana (Dominican Republic) for a family wedding two
      weekends ago. They had complimentary Maine hammocks (with spreader
      bars) on the beach, so I naturally dove in.

      I was sooo uncomfortable. I kept thinking of this group and wanting
      to email "where's the sweet spot" on a spreader bar hammock? They
      are very flat.

      sandy in miami

      > mary... i've been sleeping in a hammock nightly for over 2 years
      now, so i had one handy to test a thought i had about your question.
      > normally people suggest having the foot end of the hammock a few
      inches higher than the head end simply because you will tend to find
      your largest body mass (the torso) in the center of the hammock,
      putting your feet in the small end of the hammock.
      > but in your case (wanting to sleep w/ the head slightly
      elevated) if you hang your hammock w/ the foot end maybe about one
      foot lower, your feet will be near the small end of the hammock, but
      your head is clearly higher. i just tried it.
      > i believe i could sleep just fine that way.
      > a couple other things...
      > 1)... the type hammocks that most people are finding most
      practical for camping these days are not the types w/ spreader bars
      on each end. you'll find that type far less stable. look in the
      picture gallery here for examples. better yet go to the speer
      hammock web site for lots of pictures & info.
      > ed is the owner of this yahoo group & a very nice & helpful
      guy. his real job just keeps him from taking part here as much as he
      would like<g>.
      > to use inside your family tent, the top loading style (or speer
      type) would be most appropriate. the hennessy hammocks have a
      permanently attached bug net, so the only way to get to your stuff
      (clothes, water, etc) would be to have it inside w/ you or get out of
      the hammock through a bottom entry slit.
      > 2)... of course you'll have to have a hammock stand. there are
      several available that you could buy, but a couple things to keep in
      mind are that they need to have a base that will be easy on your tent
      floor & it should be long enough to fit the hammock you buy.
      > there is one made by byer that i believe would fit the bill. i
      believe it even adjusts in length.
      > seems like it's about $89 or $99 bucks. they may sell that brand
      at some of the sporting good stores so you could pick it up & save
      the shipping.
      > and i believe you could hang the foot lower on that stand.
      > i'll try to get a few more details later unless you get to it
      before me.
      > there's another web site http://hammockforums.net where there
      is at least one active thread where people are discussing hammock
      stands. ...tim

      > Mary Neal <sisjake@...> wrote:
      >
      > We've used air mattresses in the past, that isn't really what I
      need. I
      > also have acid reflux and need to sleep in a semi-sitting position.
      I won't
      > let my health problems interfere with my camping, so I am looking
      for some
      > way to adjust. I already own a Paco Pad, which is top of the line,
      > self-inflatable and insulated...but it is just not enough. In a
      pinch I can
      > prop myself up on duffles but even that gets uncomfortable after
      awhile.
      > Mary

    • beentomadrid
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 26, 2007
        Mary,

        I saw this at REI. It looks like it would fit in a good sized tent.
        You would have to try it out to see if it would work for your
        condition. Seems like it had a fair amount of sag when I tried it in
        the store.

        http://www.rei.com/product/708210?vcat=REI_SEARCH

        Doug Campbell

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Neal" <sisjake@...>
        wrote:

        > We've used air mattresses in the past, that isn't really what I
        need. I
        > also have acid reflux and need to sleep in a semi-sitting
        position. I won't
        > let my health problems interfere with my camping, so I am looking
        for some
        > way to adjust. I already own a Paco Pad, which is top of the line,
        > self-inflatable and insulated...but it is just not enough. In a
        pinch I can
        > prop myself up on duffles but even that gets uncomfortable after
        awhile.
        > Mary
        >
        > >From: "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@...>
        > >To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
        > >Subject: [Hammock Camping] Re: Looking for an inexpensive hammock
        > >Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 22:13:08 -0000
        > >
        > >If you want to sleep in a tent with your family, you might just
        want
        > >more cushioned pads or cots. Air mattress for camping that are 3
        > >inches or so thick are likely what you want and can be had with
        > >insulation inside them or without insulation. The department
        stores
        > >sell uninsulated ones for car camping in various sizes with manual
        > >pumps or pumps you can plug into your car's cigarette lighter and
        > >those are probably 6 inches or so thick. The least expensive ones
        > >don't have insulation but you can use the insulation in the pads
        you
        > >have now by stacking them on top of the air mats and securing them
        > >with one of several means if you need to, the simplest is just a
        pair
        > >of ribbons sewn together in the appropriate length loop that wraps
        > >around both pads. How cold do you expect it to get... you are
        likely
        > >to need some insulation underneath you as well as cushioning?
        > >
        > >Youngblood
        > >
        > >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Neal" <sisjake@>
        wrote:

        > > > I am looking for an inexpensive hammock. We (three kids and I)
        are
        > >going on
        > > > a three week road camping trip to Alaska from Pennsylvania. I
        found
        > >out
        > > > this last weekend that my "older" bones cannot handle just a
        > >sleeping pad
        > > > anymore (I have a ruptured disk in my lower back). I am open
        for
        > > > suggestions as to what type of portable, folding hammock to get,
        > >space is at
        > > > a premium as we are travelling in a four-door Saturn. The
        hammock
        > >will be
        > > > put up inside the tent. I have looked at the one from Walmart,
        and the
        > > > Kelsyus. Any other suggestions?
        > > > Mary

        > > > Make every IM count. Download Messenger and join the i'm
        Initiative
        > >now.
        > > > It's free. http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?
        source=TAGHM_June07

        > Don't miss your chance to WIN $10,000 and other great prizes from
        Microsoft
        > Office Live http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0540003042mrt/direct/01/

      • Stuhr, Tim
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 26, 2007
          The Bed, Bath and Beyond had one of those out front of their store here
          a few weeks ago. I tried to lay in it and it just didn't feel real
          stable to me.

          Stoikurt