RE: [Hammock Camping] Re: Looking for an inexpensive hammock

    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 25, 2007
      mary... i've been sleeping in a hammock nightly for over 2 years now, so i had one handy to test a thought i had about your question.
      normally people suggest having the foot end of the hammock a few inches higher than the head end simply because you will tend to find your largest body mass (the torso) in the center of the hammock, putting your feet in the small end of the hammock.
      but in your case (wanting to sleep w/ the head slightly elevated) if you hang your hammock w/ the foot end maybe about one foot lower, your feet will be near the small end of the hammock, but your head is clearly higher. i just tried it.
      i believe i could sleep just fine that way.
      a couple other things...
      1)... the type hammocks that most people are finding most practical for camping these days are not the types w/ spreader bars on each end. you'll find that type far less stable. look in the picture gallery here for examples. better yet go to the speer hammock web site for lots of pictures & info.
      ed is the owner of this yahoo group & a very nice & helpful guy. his real job just keeps him from taking part here as much as he would like<g>.
      to use inside your family tent, the top loading style (or speer type) would be most appropriate. the hennessy hammocks have a permanently attached bug net, so the only way to get to your stuff (clothes, water, etc) would be to have it inside w/ you or get out of the hammock through a bottom entry slit.
      2)... of course you'll have to have a hammock stand. there are several available that you could buy, but a couple things to keep in mind are that they need to have a base that will be easy on your tent floor & it should be long enough to fit the hammock you buy.
      there is one made by byer that i believe would fit the bill. i believe it even adjusts in length.
      seems like it's about $89 or $99 bucks. they may sell that brand at some of the sporting good stores so you could pick it up & save the shipping.
      and i believe you could hang the foot lower on that stand.
      i'll try to get a few more details later unless you get to it before me.
      there's another web site http://hammockforums.net where there is at least one active thread where people are discussing hammock stands. ...tim

      Mary Neal <sisjake@...> wrote:

      We've used air mattresses in the past, that isn't really what I need. I
      also have acid reflux and need to sleep in a semi-sitting position. I won't
      let my health problems interfere with my camping, so I am looking for some
      way to adjust. I already own a Paco Pad, which is top of the line,
      self-inflatable and insulated...but it is just not enough. In a pinch I can
      prop myself up on duffles but even that gets uncomfortable after awhile.
      Mary

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 25, 2007
        Mary had looked at this http://www.rei.com/product/708210 which is a
        bit of a folding cot/hammock with spreader bars. It will fit inside
        tents that the type of hammocks we commonly have used for backpacking
        will not.
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 26, 2007
          for mary or any one else that may feel the need to sleep in a semi-sitting position, i slept in my hammock as described below last night. worked great.
          i slept both on my back & side just fine.
          but i'm afraid dave's right about the hammock stand being to big for most tents... unless you have one of the really big family size tents (for 8 or 10 people) that measures larger from wall to wall than the hammock stand. ...tim

          tim garner <slowhike@...> wrote:

[...]

        • chetclock
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 26, 2007
            Mary, you don't need to spend $80 or $90 on a hammock. Just go to a
            fabric store and buy a piece of ripstop nylon or polyester, approx 5
            foot wide and 11 feet long. There are various methods of attaching
            ropes or straps to the ends, with the simplest being to just tie a
            knot in each end, and then tie a hanging strap or rope inside the knot
            on each end. You'll have a simple, comfortable, inexpensive hammock in
            about 10 minutes. And if you elect to set it up outside the tent
            (which might be easier), a simple green poly tarp (8 x 10) works well
            and will cost you less than 10 bucks. It's an inexpensive way to try
            out a hammock, and it may be all you ever need.

            Chet

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Neal" <sisjake@...> wrote:

            > I am looking for an inexpensive hammock. We (three kids and I) are
            going on
            > a three week road camping trip to Alaska from Pennsylvania. I found
            out
            > this last weekend that my "older" bones cannot handle just a
            sleeping pad
            > anymore (I have a ruptured disk in my lower back). I am open for
            > suggestions as to what type of portable, folding hammock to get,
            space is at
            > a premium as we are travelling in a four-door Saturn. The hammock
            will be
            > put up inside the tent. I have looked at the one from Walmart, and the
            > Kelsyus. Any other suggestions?
            > Mary

            > Make every IM count. Download Messenger and join the i'm Initiative
            now.
            > It's free. http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGHM_June07

          • Sandy Kramer
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 26, 2007
              Here's the Byer's of Maine Mosquito Traveler (has bug net, but no
              tarp) for $40. http://www.ccoutdoorstore.com/bymotrha.html

              I was in Punta Cana (Dominican Republic) for a family wedding two
              weekends ago. They had complimentary Maine hammocks (with spreader
              bars) on the beach, so I naturally dove in.

              I was sooo uncomfortable. I kept thinking of this group and wanting
              to email "where's the sweet spot" on a spreader bar hammock? They
              are very flat.

              sandy in miami

> [...]
              > i'll try to get a few more details later unless you get to it
              before me.
              > there's another web site http://hammockforums.net where there
              is at least one active thread where people are discussing hammock
              stands. ...tim

              > Mary Neal <sisjake@...> wrote:
              >
              > We've used air mattresses in the past, that isn't really what I
              need. I
              > also have acid reflux and need to sleep in a semi-sitting position.
              I won't
              > let my health problems interfere with my camping, so I am looking
              for some
              > way to adjust. I already own a Paco Pad, which is top of the line,
              > self-inflatable and insulated...but it is just not enough. In a
              pinch I can
              > prop myself up on duffles but even that gets uncomfortable after

            • beentomadrid
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 26, 2007
                Mary,

                I saw this at REI. It looks like it would fit in a good sized tent.
                You would have to try it out to see if it would work for your
                condition. Seems like it had a fair amount of sag when I tried it in
                the store.

                http://www.rei.com/product/708210?vcat=REI_SEARCH

                Doug Campbell

                wrote:

> [...]
                > let my health problems interfere with my camping, so I am looking
                for some
                > way to adjust. I already own a Paco Pad, which is top of the line,
                > self-inflatable and insulated...but it is just not enough. In a
                pinch I can
                > prop myself up on duffles but even that gets uncomfortable after
                awhile.
                > Mary
                >
                > >From: "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@...>
                > >To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
                > >Subject: [Hammock Camping] Re: Looking for an inexpensive hammock
                > >Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 22:13:08 -0000
                > >
                > >If you want to sleep in a tent with your family, you might just
                want
                > >more cushioned pads or cots. Air mattress for camping that are 3
                > >inches or so thick are likely what you want and can be had with
                > >insulation inside them or without insulation. The department
                stores
                > >sell uninsulated ones for car camping in various sizes with manual
                > >pumps or pumps you can plug into your car's cigarette lighter and
                > >those are probably 6 inches or so thick. The least expensive ones
                > >don't have insulation but you can use the insulation in the pads
                you
                > >have now by stacking them on top of the air mats and securing them
                > >with one of several means if you need to, the simplest is just a
                pair
                > >of ribbons sewn together in the appropriate length loop that wraps
                > >around both pads. How cold do you expect it to get... you are
                likely
                > >to need some insulation underneath you as well as cushioning?
                > >
                > >Youngblood
                > >
                > >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Neal" <sisjake@>
                wrote:

                > > > I am looking for an inexpensive hammock. We (three kids and I)
                are
                > >going on
                > > > a three week road camping trip to Alaska from Pennsylvania. I
                found
                > >out
                > > > this last weekend that my "older" bones cannot handle just a
                > >sleeping pad
                > > > anymore (I have a ruptured disk in my lower back). I am open
                for
                > > > suggestions as to what type of portable, folding hammock to get,
                > >space is at
                > > > a premium as we are travelling in a four-door Saturn. The
                hammock
                > >will be
                > > > put up inside the tent. I have looked at the one from Walmart,
                and the
                > > > Kelsyus. Any other suggestions?
                > > > Mary

                > > > Make every IM count. Download Messenger and join the i'm
                Initiative
                > >now.
                > > > It's free. http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?
                source=TAGHM_June07

                > Don't miss your chance to WIN $10,000 and other great prizes from
                Microsoft
                > Office Live http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0540003042mrt/direct/01/

              • Stuhr, Tim
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 26, 2007
                  The Bed, Bath and Beyond had one of those out front of their store here
                  a few weeks ago. I tried to lay in it and it just didn't feel real
                  stable to me.

                  Stoikurt