Looking for an inexpensive hammock

  • Mary Neal
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 25, 2007
      I am looking for an inexpensive hammock. We (three kids and I) are going on
      a three week road camping trip to Alaska from Pennsylvania. I found out
      this last weekend that my "older" bones cannot handle just a sleeping pad
      anymore (I have a ruptured disk in my lower back). I am open for
      suggestions as to what type of portable, folding hammock to get, space is at
      a premium as we are travelling in a four-door Saturn. The hammock will be
      put up inside the tent. I have looked at the one from Walmart, and the
      Kelsyus. Any other suggestions?
      Mary

      Make every IM count. Download Messenger and join the i�m Initiative now.
      It�s free. http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGHM_June07
    • JR
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 25, 2007
        Mary,

        What size is your tent!

        JR.

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 25, 2007
          It really depends on what you consider inexpensive. I like the
          Hennessey Hammocks a great deal. The Scout is relatively inexpensive
          for camping hammock standards.

          You can get a mosquito hammock for $60, but it doesn't come with a
          tarp. http://www.mosquitohammock.com/

          I was able to find an HH Expedition for $90 online.

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 25, 2007
            If you want to sleep in a tent with your family, you might just want
            more cushioned pads or cots. Air mattress for camping that are 3
            inches or so thick are likely what you want and can be had with
            insulation inside them or without insulation. The department stores
            sell uninsulated ones for car camping in various sizes with manual
            pumps or pumps you can plug into your car's cigarette lighter and
            those are probably 6 inches or so thick. The least expensive ones
            don't have insulation but you can use the insulation in the pads you
            have now by stacking them on top of the air mats and securing them
            with one of several means if you need to, the simplest is just a pair
            of ribbons sewn together in the appropriate length loop that wraps
            around both pads. How cold do you expect it to get... you are likely
            to need some insulation underneath you as well as cushioning?

            Youngblood

            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 25, 2007
              We've used air mattresses in the past, that isn't really what I need. I
              also have acid reflux and need to sleep in a semi-sitting position. I won't
              let my health problems interfere with my camping, so I am looking for some
              way to adjust. I already own a Paco Pad, which is top of the line,
              self-inflatable and insulated...but it is just not enough. In a pinch I can
              prop myself up on duffles but even that gets uncomfortable after awhile.
              Mary

              >From: "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@...>
              >To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [Hammock Camping] Re: Looking for an inexpensive hammock
              >Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 22:13:08 -0000
              >
              >If you want to sleep in a tent with your family, you might just want
              >more cushioned pads or cots. Air mattress for camping that are 3
              >inches or so thick are likely what you want and can be had with
              >insulation inside them or without insulation. The department stores
              >sell uninsulated ones for car camping in various sizes with manual
              >pumps or pumps you can plug into your car's cigarette lighter and
              >those are probably 6 inches or so thick. The least expensive ones
              >don't have insulation but you can use the insulation in the pads you
              >have now by stacking them on top of the air mats and securing them
              >with one of several means if you need to, the simplest is just a pair
              >of ribbons sewn together in the appropriate length loop that wraps
              >around both pads. How cold do you expect it to get... you are likely
              >to need some insulation underneath you as well as cushioning?
              >
              >Youngblood
              >
              >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Neal" <sisjake@...> wrote:
              > >

              > > I am looking for an inexpensive hammock. We (three kids and I) are
              >going on
              > > a three week road camping trip to Alaska from Pennsylvania. I found
              >out
              > > this last weekend that my "older" bones cannot handle just a
              >sleeping pad
              > > anymore (I have a ruptured disk in my lower back). I am open for
              > > suggestions as to what type of portable, folding hammock to get,
              >space is at
              > > a premium as we are travelling in a four-door Saturn. The hammock
              >will be
              > > put up inside the tent. I have looked at the one from Walmart, and the
              > > Kelsyus. Any other suggestions?
              > > Mary

              > > Make every IM count. Download Messenger and join the i'm Initiative
              >now.
              > > It's free. http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGHM_June07

              Don�t miss your chance to WIN $10,000 and other great prizes from Microsoft
              Office Live http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0540003042mrt/direct/01/
            • Steve Bennett
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 25, 2007
                I think you may be too flat sleeping in a hammock.

                If you are car camping you could try a reclining deck chair with your
                pad on top.

                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 25, 2007
                  Mary,

                  This cot might be of use in combination with your sleeping pad.

                  http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?
                  product_id=2153B702&categoryid=10072

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 25, 2007
                    mary... i've been sleeping in a hammock nightly for over 2 years now, so i had one handy to test a thought i had about your question.
                    normally people suggest having the foot end of the hammock a few inches higher than the head end simply because you will tend to find your largest body mass (the torso) in the center of the hammock, putting your feet in the small end of the hammock.
                    but in your case (wanting to sleep w/ the head slightly elevated) if you hang your hammock w/ the foot end maybe about one foot lower, your feet will be near the small end of the hammock, but your head is clearly higher. i just tried it.
                    i believe i could sleep just fine that way.
                    a couple other things...
                    1)... the type hammocks that most people are finding most practical for camping these days are not the types w/ spreader bars on each end. you'll find that type far less stable. look in the picture gallery here for examples. better yet go to the speer hammock web site for lots of pictures & info.
                    ed is the owner of this yahoo group & a very nice & helpful guy. his real job just keeps him from taking part here as much as he would like<g>.
                    to use inside your family tent, the top loading style (or speer type) would be most appropriate. the hennessy hammocks have a permanently attached bug net, so the only way to get to your stuff (clothes, water, etc) would be to have it inside w/ you or get out of the hammock through a bottom entry slit.
                    2)... of course you'll have to have a hammock stand. there are several available that you could buy, but a couple things to keep in mind are that they need to have a base that will be easy on your tent floor & it should be long enough to fit the hammock you buy.
                    there is one made by byer that i believe would fit the bill. i believe it even adjusts in length.
                    seems like it's about $89 or $99 bucks. they may sell that brand at some of the sporting good stores so you could pick it up & save the shipping.
                    and i believe you could hang the foot lower on that stand.
                    i'll try to get a few more details later unless you get to it before me.
                    there's another web site http://hammockforums.net where there is at least one active thread where people are discussing hammock stands. ...tim

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 25, 2007
                      Mary had looked at this http://www.rei.com/product/708210 which is a
                      bit of a folding cot/hammock with spreader bars. It will fit inside
                      tents that the type of hammocks we commonly have used for backpacking
                      will not.
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 26, 2007
                        for mary or any one else that may feel the need to sleep in a semi-sitting position, i slept in my hammock as described below last night. worked great.
                        i slept both on my back & side just fine.
                        but i'm afraid dave's right about the hammock stand being to big for most tents... unless you have one of the really big family size tents (for 8 or 10 people) that measures larger from wall to wall than the hammock stand. ...tim

                        tim garner <slowhike@...> wrote:

[...]

                      • chetclock
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 26, 2007
                          Mary, you don't need to spend $80 or $90 on a hammock. Just go to a
                          fabric store and buy a piece of ripstop nylon or polyester, approx 5
                          foot wide and 11 feet long. There are various methods of attaching
                          ropes or straps to the ends, with the simplest being to just tie a
                          knot in each end, and then tie a hanging strap or rope inside the knot
                          on each end. You'll have a simple, comfortable, inexpensive hammock in
                          about 10 minutes. And if you elect to set it up outside the tent
                          (which might be easier), a simple green poly tarp (8 x 10) works well
                          and will cost you less than 10 bucks. It's an inexpensive way to try
                          out a hammock, and it may be all you ever need.

                          Chet

                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Neal" <sisjake@...> wrote:

                          > I am looking for an inexpensive hammock. We (three kids and I) are
                          going on
                          > a three week road camping trip to Alaska from Pennsylvania. I found
                          out
                          > this last weekend that my "older" bones cannot handle just a
                          sleeping pad
                          > anymore (I have a ruptured disk in my lower back). I am open for
                          > suggestions as to what type of portable, folding hammock to get,
                          space is at
                          > a premium as we are travelling in a four-door Saturn. The hammock
                          will be
                          > put up inside the tent. I have looked at the one from Walmart, and the
                          > Kelsyus. Any other suggestions?
                          > Mary

                          > Make every IM count. Download Messenger and join the i'm Initiative
                          now.
                          > It's free. http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGHM_June07

                        • Sandy Kramer
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 26, 2007
                            Here's the Byer's of Maine Mosquito Traveler (has bug net, but no
                            tarp) for $40. http://www.ccoutdoorstore.com/bymotrha.html

                            I was in Punta Cana (Dominican Republic) for a family wedding two
                            weekends ago. They had complimentary Maine hammocks (with spreader
                            bars) on the beach, so I naturally dove in.

                            I was sooo uncomfortable. I kept thinking of this group and wanting
                            to email "where's the sweet spot" on a spreader bar hammock? They
                            are very flat.

                            sandy in miami

> [...]
                            > i'll try to get a few more details later unless you get to it
                            before me.
                            > there's another web site http://hammockforums.net where there
                            is at least one active thread where people are discussing hammock
                            stands. ...tim

                            > Mary Neal <sisjake@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > We've used air mattresses in the past, that isn't really what I
                            need. I
                            > also have acid reflux and need to sleep in a semi-sitting position.
                            I won't
                            > let my health problems interfere with my camping, so I am looking
                            for some
                            > way to adjust. I already own a Paco Pad, which is top of the line,
                            > self-inflatable and insulated...but it is just not enough. In a
                            pinch I can
                            > prop myself up on duffles but even that gets uncomfortable after

                          • beentomadrid
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 26, 2007
                              Mary,

                              I saw this at REI. It looks like it would fit in a good sized tent.
                              You would have to try it out to see if it would work for your
                              condition. Seems like it had a fair amount of sag when I tried it in
                              the store.

                              http://www.rei.com/product/708210?vcat=REI_SEARCH

                              Doug Campbell

                              wrote:

> [...]
                              > >sleeping pad
                              > > > anymore (I have a ruptured disk in my lower back). I am open
                              for
                              > > > suggestions as to what type of portable, folding hammock to get,
                              > >space is at
                              > > > a premium as we are travelling in a four-door Saturn. The
                              hammock
                              > >will be
                              > > > put up inside the tent. I have looked at the one from Walmart,
                              and the
                              > > > Kelsyus. Any other suggestions?
                              > > > Mary

                              > > > Make every IM count. Download Messenger and join the i'm
                              Initiative
                              > >now.
                              > > > It's free. http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?
                              source=TAGHM_June07

                              > Don't miss your chance to WIN $10,000 and other great prizes from

                            • Stuhr, Tim
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 26, 2007
                                The Bed, Bath and Beyond had one of those out front of their store here
                                a few weeks ago. I tried to lay in it and it just didn't feel real
                                stable to me.

                                Stoikurt