Our first hammock camp out

  • Derek
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 18, 2007
      My son and I had our first hammock camp out this past Friday night. We
      had a great time. First we hiked about 5 miles into the Uwharrie
      Forest looking for a campsite. Along the way we passed a blackberry
      patch and took a few minutes to enjoy a few hand fulls of berries. As
      it is a forest that was not a problem finding a suitable site. The
      site we ended up picking was off the trail a few hundred feet and
      would not be noticed by anyone passing by. We got my son's Claytor
      hammock set up in short order and then proceeded to set my Speer up.
      Here we ran into a slight problem in that I selected two trees that
      were too far apart and a little too small because when I sat in it the
      hammock would sag to the ground. After relocating the hammock we
      proceeded to heat up some water for hot dogs and ramen noodles using a
      coffee can wood stove that worked like a champ. Since it burns wood
      sticks we got the smoke and fire of a wood fire without building a
      regular fire. We munched down the hot dogs and used the water for the
      noodles. Once the noodles were done we then used our hammocks as
      lounge chairs. Here is where I got my first dump to the ground so I
      guess I am good now for the rest of my hammocking experience. Once I
      re-tightened a knot I was good to go.

      We both had a good night's sleep, better than sleeping on the ground
      for sure!! In the middle of the night I heard a night prowler and
      moved my foot against the nylon fabric and I heard it scurry away. It
      probably could still smell the hot dog scent from my pack which was
      right under me.

      We got up in the morning and made breakfast and proceeded to take town
      our hammocks. The Claytor comes with individual stuff sacks one for
      the tarp and one for the hammock. The Speer came with one silnylon bag
      for both. I had a spare silnylon bag so I used it for the tarp. Before
      we left I used a soldering iron and melted holes in the bottom of each
      bag so they now all function like BB bags. Worked like a champ!!
      Breaking camp was a piece of cake, just unlash and stuff! My son made
      an unsolicited comment regarding LNT camping. He said "dad look you
      can't even tell we were here!! The hammocks made no marks on the
      ground." He is in Boy Scouts and aware of LNT camping.

      On the hike back to the van we saw a large tortoise, a good sized
      toad, and one of the biggest millipedes I have ever seen on or along
      the trail. There was an inch worm hanging in trees as there always is,
      but we think the toad was waiting for it for a late breakfast. As were
      taking a picture of the toad a flying ant landed on the inch worm and
      bit it!!

      Over all we had a very enjoyable experience and we are both looking
      forward to our next camp out. I dropped my son off at the Scout
      headquarters for his 1 week summer camp yesterday so it will be at
      least a week before we go again. In the mean time I have put
      descending rings on both of our hammocks and tested them out in the
      back yard. Wow talk about simplicity in setting up, I can't wait to
      use these in the field next. I had already used figure 9's on the
      tarp, so now we should be able to set up in mere minutes.

      The hike, hammock camping, cooking, berries, wildlife all added up to
      what I hope will be a very memorable experience for my son. I know I
      will remember it.

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 18, 2007
          I just went outside and measured between two trees I have set my
          hammock up with with my trekking pole. Thanks for the tip, it works
          perfectly!!

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 18, 2007
            it's a real time saver. every body's arms, trekking poles, & ideal hammock support distance is going to be a little different, but when you figure out what you need for your set-up, using the trekking poles or walking it off will clearly tell you if the trees you're looking at are with-in an acceptable range. ...tim

            Derek <derekshepard@...> wrote: I just went outside and measured between two trees I have set my
            hammock up with with my trekking pole. Thanks for the tip, it works
            perfectly!!

          • mrbyer
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 18, 2007
              Is it just me or do all newbie hammock users find themselves noticing
              "hammock trees" while hiking? Will I outgrow this?

              -russ
            • Anthony Smith
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 18, 2007
                Been hammocking for about 3 years now, and still notice them. Seem to
                always be on the "lookout" for that perfect hanging spot.
                TJ

                _____

                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 18, 2007
                  nothing to outgrow my friend<g>. ...tim

                  mrbyer <mrbyer@...> wrote: Is it just me or do all newbie hammock users find themselves noticing
                  "hammock trees" while hiking? Will I outgrow this?

                  -russ

                • Scott
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 18, 2007
                    I don't know if it is just a phase, but I notice hammock trees no matter
                    where I go. Even if it is just a walk to the grocery store.....lol

                    --
                    Scott
                    www.AntiFuel.com

                    On 6/18/07, Anthony Smith <asmith@...> wrote:

                    > Been hammocking for about 3 years now, and still notice them. Seem to
                    > always be on the "lookout" for that perfect hanging spot.
                    > TJ

                  • Ralph Oborn
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 18, 2007
                      On 6/18/07, Anthony Smith <asmith@...> wrote:

                      > Been hammocking for about 3 years now, and still notice them. Seem to
                      > always be on the "lookout" for that perfect hanging spot.
                      > TJ

                      I specialize in looking for trees with big spreading branches for a single
                      tree hang

                      Ralph

                    • Derek
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 19, 2007
                        To be totally honest as this was our first hammock campout, I never
                        really noticed how many trees there were in the forest. With a tent
                        you are usually looking for a clearing, now I was looking for trees
                        (in a forest). It was almost "blinding" in a way.

                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "mrbyer" <mrbyer@...> wrote:

                        > Is it just me or do all newbie hammock users find themselves noticing
                        > "hammock trees" while hiking? Will I outgrow this?
                        >
                        > -russ

                      • Sandy Kramer
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 19, 2007
                          Enjoyed reading this, Derek, but could you please explain:

                          <<Before we left I used a soldering iron and melted holes in the bottom
                          of each bag so they now all function like BB bags. Worked like a champ!!

                          sandy in miami

                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Derek" <derekshepard@...> wrote:

                          > My son and I had our first hammock camp out this past Friday night. We
                          > had a great time.
                        • Johan van Dijk
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 19, 2007
                            I reckon he means he put a hole in the stuff bags so he can use them as BB
                            (Black Bishop) bags... Works like a treat indeed. I think "Just Jeff" has a
                            page to explain this more in detail on:

                            http://tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearBlackbishopSack.html

                            Sorry to hop in on this ;-)

                            Grtz Johan

                            On 6/19/07, Sandy Kramer <sandykayak@...> wrote:

                            > Enjoyed reading this, Derek, but could you please explain:
                            >
                            > <<Before we left I used a soldering iron and melted holes in the bottom
                            > of each bag so they now all function like BB bags. Worked like a champ!!
                            >
                            > sandy in miami

                            > "Derek" <derekshepard@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > My son and I had our first hammock camp out this past Friday night. We
                            > > had a great time.

                            mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63
                            email: gonewalkabout2003@...

                            http://www.geocities.com/johanvandijk
                            http://calendar.yahoo.com/johanvandijk

                          • Derek
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 20, 2007
                              Johan has it right. Burning the hole allows the webbing to pass
                              through and lets you just stuff the hammock or tarp in it's own bag.
                              Here is a picture of my son's hammock with the bright orange Claytor
                              bag on the support webbing.
                              http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=1040&catid=member&imageuser=501

                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer" <sandykayak@...>
                              wrote:

                              > Enjoyed reading this, Derek, but could you please explain:
                              >
                              > <<Before we left I used a soldering iron and melted holes in the bottom
                              > of each bag so they now all function like BB bags. Worked like a champ!!
                              >
                              > sandy in miami
                              >

                              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Derek" <derekshepard@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > My son and I had our first hammock camp out this past Friday night. We
                              > > had a great time.

                            • Stuhr, Tim
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 20, 2007
                                Here's a side view of my hammock with the BlackBishop stuff sack. My
                                underquilt is not on the hammock but the bag easily holds the hammock
                                and the UQ.
                                http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/9/1/P5270002.JPG

                                Stoikurt