Speer Hammocks at Salem, IN

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 16, 2003
      Speer Hammocks will be selling hammocks and the Hammock Camping book
      at the annual Cave Capers at Delaney Creek Park near Salem, IN this
      coming weekend. This is a cavers gathering with cave trips, camping,
      vendors, and Sat nite banquet. Salem is about 60 mi NW of
      Louisville, KY and Delaney Creek Park is a county park about 8 mi N
      of Salem on Hwy 135. For more info see: http://www.delaneypark.com
      and http://www.caves.org/grotto/cig

      Everyone welcome--come by and visit. I will be signing the book and
      hammocks will be on display for testing. Our booth will be set up
      Thur nite until Sun afternoon. Hope to see some hammock hangers there!
      ....Ed
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 17, 2003
        Ed,

        Does Indiania have a supply of caves with 4 inch diameter trees
        already installed? Is it better to attach a hammock to stalagmites
        or stalagtites? (Jes kiddin ;)

        Rick

        Disclaimer: I am already aware that touching such cave features
        (much less hanging from them) can do damage that changes the course
        of hundreds if not thousands of years of time in the development of
        such cave features.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 17, 2003
          Message
          Boy Rick, you got that disclaimer in there just in the nick of time!  LOL

          Actually, sleeping hammocks have been used on long-term underground explorations for some time now.  They are usually hung to breakdown boulders and/or anchor bolts wisely drilled into the walls or breakdown boulders.  In this manner, hammocks greatly reduce the impact of a typical flat-spot camp underground. Of course, the bug net and rain canopy are seldom needed!

          Any chance you can make it to Salem this weekend Rick?  Would love to have more time to pick your brain than our first meeting back in April....Ed

          Does Indiania have a supply of caves with 4 inch diameter trees
          already installed?   Is it better to attach a hammock to stalagmites
          or stalagtites?  (Jes kiddin ;)

          Rick

          Disclaimer:  I am already aware that touching such cave features
          (much less hanging from them) can do damage that changes the course
          of hundreds if not thousands of years of time in the development of
          such cave features.

          > Speer Hammocks will be selling hammocks and the Hammock Camping
          book
          > at the annual Cave Capers at Delaney Creek Park near Salem, IN this
          > coming weekend. This is a cavers gathering with cave trips,
          camping,
          > vendors, and Sat nite banquet.  Salem is about 60 mi NW of
          > Louisville, KY and Delaney Creek Park is a county park about 8 mi N
          > of Salem on Hwy 135. For more info see: http://www.delaneypark.com
          > and http://www.caves.org/grotto/cig
          >

          > Everyone welcome--come by and visit. I will be signing the book and
          > hammocks will be on display for testing.  Our booth will be set up
          > Thur nite until Sun afternoon. Hope to see some hammock hangers
          there!
          > ....Ed

        • Risk
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 18, 2003
            > Actually, sleeping hammocks have been used on long-term underground
            > explorations for some time now. They are usually hung to breakdown
            > boulders and/or anchor bolts wisely drilled into the walls or
            breakdown
            > boulders. In this manner, hammocks greatly reduce the impact of a
            > typical flat-spot camp underground.

            I was unaware of their use. Certainly seems like it would be more
            comfortable, but I don't quite understand how installing anchor bolts
            is less impact than sleeping on a piece of ground in most wild KY
            caves I have been in. >

            > Any chance you can make it to Salem this weekend Rick? Would love
            > have more time to pick your brain than our first meeting back in
            > April....Ed

            Actually there is a chance Ed, as I am scheduled to be at a family
            function and a Drum and Bugle Corps competition in Louisville
            Saturday eve and will be spending the night. Let me take a look at
            possible driving routes and talk with my social director.

            Rick

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245454.3115308.4434529.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
            05

            065843:HM/A=1457554/R=0/SIG=11c6fnta2/*http://ipunda.com/clk/beibunmai
            su
            > iyuiwabei>
            >
            > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
            M=245454.3115308.4434529.1261774/D=egrou
            > pmail/S=:HM/A=1457554/rand=512955535>

            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
          • Risk
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 20, 2003
              Ed,

              I will not be able to get there. Too much other family business.

              Rick

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <geoflyfisher@y...>
              > > Actually, sleeping hammocks have been used on long-term
              underground
              > > explorations for some time now. They are usually hung to
              breakdown
              > > boulders and/or anchor bolts wisely drilled into the walls or
              > breakdown
              > > boulders. In this manner, hammocks greatly reduce the impact of a
              > > typical flat-spot camp underground.
              >
              > I was unaware of their use. Certainly seems like it would be more
              > comfortable, but I don't quite understand how installing anchor
              bolts
              > is less impact than sleeping on a piece of ground in most wild KY
              > caves I have been in. >
              >

              > > Any chance you can make it to Salem this weekend Rick? Would
              love
              > > have more time to pick your brain than our first meeting back in
              > > April....Ed
              > >
              > Actually there is a chance Ed, as I am scheduled to be at a family
              > function and a Drum and Bugle Corps competition in Louisville
              > Saturday eve and will be spending the night. Let me take a look at
              > possible driving routes and talk with my social director.
              >
              > Rick

              Service
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 24, 2003
                We had a wonderful time at Cave Capers this weekend in Salem, IN. It
                was a campout gathering of about 450 cavers. Lots of folks got their
                first look at camping hammocks and they were very enthusiastic! It's
                quite rewarding to show folks such a better way to camp--their
                reaction starts with disbelief but soon turns to excitment. We also
                got the chance to make new friendships and renew some old ones...Ed