Trip Report: VA hammock camping on the AT

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 16, 2003
      Good afternoon gang,

      Just back from a nice 4 day/3 night 38 miles of the AT. I began at
      Waynesboro, VA; and ended up in Montebello at the fine B&B run by Ed
      And Lois Arnold there.

      I used the double bottom 4 foot wide 1.3 oz material hammock with
      real noseeum described earlier. It worked wonderfully well and the
      throw over bug net approach kept mosquitoes, black flies, noseeums
      and sweat bees at bay. One night, at Spy Rock, all 4 were
      problematic for others.

      Pictures due back from processing on Wednesday.

      Several people were interested in the hammock. One identified it as
      a Speer type hammock and had talked with Ed at Trail Days. One
      commented that she coveted the bug net and that she was tired of
      being bitten by noseeums in the shelters.

      For those who followed the previous trip, my knees did wonderfully
      well. I don't know if it is the little soft-shoe half step down the
      hills, the shorter distances (max 16 miles a day), the dual hiking
      sticks, or the glucosamine that did the trick; but it worked.

      We had rain every day and every evening. The hammock kept me quite
      dry and comfortable.