Hennessey Hyperlite - real weights vs. advertised weights

  • bedeutung
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 15 2:31 PM
      Hi all,

      I have had (and loved) the HH UltraLite Backpacker A-sym for a few
      years now. Having seen these reports from HH of much the same hammock
      but some 7 oz. lighter - turning an already light shelter into a very
      lighter shelter - I went out and bought one.

      I do not know whether anyone else can verify my findings (I'd be very
      interested to know) but it seems that the website and advertising is
      nothing short of misleading and inaccurate to say the least. In
      summary the difference in weight between my HH Ultralite (hereafter.
      "UL"), and my HH Hyperlite (hereafter "HL") is not 7 oz. but *less
      than 3 oz*!

      UL:

      UL Hammock: 574g
      UL Fly: 210g
      2x Tree huggers: 44g

      Total weight: 828g

      HL Hammock: 478g
      HL Fly: 228g
      2x Tree huggers: 44g

      Total weight: 750g

      Difference: 78g (= *less than 3 oz.*)

      The HH website is *all over the place* about the weight of their HL
      hammock and to some degree their UL hammock.

      http://www.hennessyhammock.com/comparisonchart.html:

      HL "750g" (bang on!) or "1lb 10oz." (=737g - close enough not to
      quibble). But notice for a start that that's a full 2oz. more than
      they say elsewhere in their headline ads.

      UL "900g" or "1lb. 15oz.". These don't quite match up - 900g is
      actually closer to 2 lb - I'm guessing that someone there mistakenly
      thinks an ounce = 25g rather than 28.35g. That's probably a close
      enough approximation if one is doing some cooking, but not if one is
      running a business where products come in the order of a few pounds
      and people may be forking out hundreds of dollars for relatively small
      savings in weight.

      If that were the only site specifying the weight of their hammocks
      then that would still be within the range of acceptable accuracy, in
      my opinion. BUT...

      http://www.hennessyhammock.com/specs-hyperlite.html And repeated in a
      more garbled form at http://www.hennessyhammock.com/whatnew.html.

      HL 600g, 1lb. 8 oz. As a little arithmetic will demonstrate, 1lb. 8 oz
      is actually 680g.

      UL "7 oz lighter than UL". Therefore, UL=880g

      http://www.hennessyhammock.com/new-products.html:

      HL "8 oz lighter" than UL. Depending on which other page you believe,
      that makes the UL anywhere from 826g to 976g; or, conversely, the HL
      anywhere from 653g to 673g.

      This is not the only weight anomaly on their site. A few years back I
      pointed out to them that that the underpad they dispatched to me was
      not 150g as they were indicating on the site, nor 166g, as it was
      saying on the bag, but 250g. This was, apparently, due to them using
      older bags for the new, beefier underpad. Fair enough, I suppose, but
      even today they are still misleadingly advertising their underpad +
      undercover on their website at 13 oz. (=368g). In fact, mine weighs
      458g (undercover
      208g, underpad 250g).

      I've complained to Hennessey about all this, but haven't heard back
      from them yet.

      So this post is:

      1) to potentially warn those thinking they will be making a huge
      weight saving of 7-8 oz. in getting the HL rather than a UL not to get
      their hopes up. In the reality that I inhabit, that simply did not happen.

      2) to ask owners of their HL whether their hammock weighs about the
      same as mine (if not, then mine must be a freak sample and I'll send
      it back).

      Cheers,

      Bedeutung
    • Richard Perlman
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 15 2:50 PM
        I'll weigh my HL hammock this weekend and post my result. I can't weigh
        the fly because I bought it without one.

        Rich