Hiking in the Cohutta Wilderness in north-central Georgia

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 11, 2007
      "Glad you all had fun and enjoyed yoruselves, etc,\

      Dave, giv eme more info on those hikes and wet fords, if you an.

      I will be in Atlanta in July and will take my sons, mom brother and his
      fiancee to the Blue Ridge PArkway and anything in the general vicinity
      would b enice for day hiking... the boys would love wet fords and stuff
      like that....

      thanks

      robi"
      ---------------------------
      Robi,

      The Cohutta Wilderness in north-central Georgia are a long ways from
      the Blue Ridge Parkway, the BR Parkway starts in western North
      Carolina on the other side of the Appalachian Mountains, on the east
      side of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. The Cohuttas have two
      of the premier hiking river trails with lots of river fording in the
      southeast. They are in the mountains and the water level can rise
      rapidly during rains, making it hazardous to ford. That said, they
      are spectacular and the swimming hole at Jacks River Falls exceeds
      anything that Disney could build. Unfortunately lots of folks know
      about it and it tends to draw crowds on weekends and they have enacted
      camping restrictions within about a mile of those falls.

      If you are interested in the Cohuttas, Tim Homan has a good book with
      small maps and directions called "Hiking Trails of the Cohutta and Big
      Frog Wilderness" and the US Forest Service publishes a very good
      detailed map called "Cohutta and Big Frog Wilderness, Georgia-
      Tennessee". I'm not an expert on the Cohuttas but I know a few folks
      that are, they post on http://georgiahikes.com/ and are very helpful.
      Coy Boy and I are trying to work out a return trip over there in a
      couple of weeks... we made it there last summer.

      Dave