RE: Hammock Camping Fabric for Fly & Hammock

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 16, 2003
      Message
      Remember that any vapor barrier, like tyvek, will cause excessive condensation if wraped completely around an occupied hammock--unless there is a lot of ventilation to prevent it.  A vapor barrier tarp 2-3' above the hammock generally handles the condensation just fine.  Waterproof-breatherable fabrics, like gore-tex used in bivy sacs can also be VERY problematic.  Vapor barriers wraped around the bottom and sides of a hammock will greatly increase the warmth while body moisture is carried upward and escapes.  Vapor barrier bags completely around one's body inside a sleeping bag or hammock are also extremely effective, but the trapped moisture is uncomfortable for most folks--this is a cold weather technique, not appropriate for summer temps.

      Reflective silver colored ripstop could be useful: breatherable fabric for hammock bottoms (cool-cold temps), non-breatherable fabrics for vapor-barrier- bags (very cold temps). Would be interested hearing about your use of these...Ed