Re: [Hammock Camping] sewing no-see-um question

  • C C Wayah
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 10, 2007
      Most sewing with pins holding the fabric does not hit the needle but if you
      do it can mess up your machines timeing and break the machines needle.
      I've taken the chance and sewed over the pins for years but I did break
      several needles but now with the more sensitve and or easy to break machines
      I pull the pins just before they make it to the foot of the machine. I keep
      pin cushin velcroed to the top of my macnine for collecting the pins.
      Rogene
      .
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 10, 2007
        > Would this work when trying to sew velcro to noseeum netting?
        Scott,
        I think it would. Remember to put the tape on the netting not the velcro
        then pin the velcro to the fabric. I perfer to tape beofr cutting and cut
        through the tape so the edges are stable.

        Another way to be sure it goes on smoothey is to hand base the velcro to the
        netting beofre you sew but that takes time to hand sew/base then sew with
        machine too.
        Picky people do this regurely with amost evey seam they sew. SO Boring and
        time consumeing but it does help
        to do this with patterns on the fabric your tyrint to match up or with
        delicate stretchy fabrics.

        I've sown some things pinned to newspaper.to kepp it stbalized too.
        Experiance of the types of fabirc is how
        I make the decion how to stableize them. Sometimes the patterns say to sew
        with things pinned to a newspaper but that was 40 years ago that I saw this
        direction on the pattern.
        It works quite well but I don't thnik it would work tith netting as it need
        to be stable before cutting the fabric
        not just when sewing a seam.

        Rogene
      • chcoa
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 12, 2007
          thanks everyone for the great suggestions regarding sewing the bug
          netting. I just need to make some time now and get hte project
          going.

          Rogene, yep I'm the one you bought the HH from. So glad to hear
          your husband likes it. I had sellers remorse for a while after
          parting with it. :)

          jamie

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...>