Re: [Hammock Camping] sewing no-see-um question

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 10, 2007
      Really? I was not aware of that. I was misinformed. So do I just pull the
      pins out before they go under the needle?

      --
      Scott
      www.AntiFuel.com

      On 6/10/07, amendment2@... <amendment2@...> wrote:

      > I presume you are talking about pins. Actually, you aren't supposed to
      > sew
      > over pins. Possible problems with sewing over pins are bent needles, and
      > throwing your machine timing out of alignment. Blue tape or green tape.
      >
      > <http://www.aol.com>

    • C C Wayah
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 10, 2007
        Most sewing with pins holding the fabric does not hit the needle but if you
        do it can mess up your machines timeing and break the machines needle.
        I've taken the chance and sewed over the pins for years but I did break
        several needles but now with the more sensitve and or easy to break machines
        I pull the pins just before they make it to the foot of the machine. I keep
        pin cushin velcroed to the top of my macnine for collecting the pins.
        Rogene
        .
        > Really? I was not aware of that. I was misinformed. So do I just pull
        > the
        > pins out before they go under the needle?
        >
        > --
        > Scott
        > www.AntiFuel.com
        > www.HikeHaven.com
        >
        > Minds are like parachutes, they only function when they are open.
        >
        > On 6/10/07, amendment2@... <amendment2@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> I presume you are talking about pins. Actually, you aren't supposed to
        >> sew
        >> over pins. Possible problems with sewing over pins are bent needles, and
        >> throwing your machine timing out of alignment. Blue tape or green tape.
        >>
        >> <http://www.aol.com>

      • C C Wayah
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 10, 2007
          > Would this work when trying to sew velcro to noseeum netting?
          Scott,
          I think it would. Remember to put the tape on the netting not the velcro
          then pin the velcro to the fabric. I perfer to tape beofr cutting and cut
          through the tape so the edges are stable.

          Another way to be sure it goes on smoothey is to hand base the velcro to the
          netting beofre you sew but that takes time to hand sew/base then sew with
          machine too.
          Picky people do this regurely with amost evey seam they sew. SO Boring and
          time consumeing but it does help
          to do this with patterns on the fabric your tyrint to match up or with
          delicate stretchy fabrics.

          I've sown some things pinned to newspaper.to kepp it stbalized too.
          Experiance of the types of fabirc is how
          I make the decion how to stableize them. Sometimes the patterns say to sew
          with things pinned to a newspaper but that was 40 years ago that I saw this
          direction on the pattern.
          It works quite well but I don't thnik it would work tith netting as it need
          to be stable before cutting the fabric
          not just when sewing a seam.

          Rogene
        • chcoa
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 12, 2007
            thanks everyone for the great suggestions regarding sewing the bug
            netting. I just need to make some time now and get hte project
            going.

            Rogene, yep I'm the one you bought the HH from. So glad to hear
            your husband likes it. I had sellers remorse for a while after
            parting with it. :)

            jamie

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...>