Re: [Hammock Camping] sewing no-see-um question

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 10, 2007
      Ahhh, that makes sense now. I see how this would be very handy. I have not
      done much sewing.

      Would this work when trying to sew velcro to noseeum netting? I was having
      a heck of a time sewing velcro to my bug netting for my speer hammock. It
      just kept stretching like crazy.

      On 6/10/07, C C Wayah <ccwayah@...> wrote:

      > Scot,
      > You haven't worked with loose weaved fabric cut on the bis yet? where the
      > fabric warps into strange shapes especially fabric like netting.
      > Your not taping to hold the seams togeather for sewing your tapeing to
      > keep
      > the fabric from being shtretched out of shape or should I say deformed.
      > Take a small piece of the netting and cut it diagionaly then give it a
      > small
      > tug diagionaly and you will see it curl up/or become miss shapened at
      > times
      > terrilby miss shapen then you will know.
      > This is a entirely different proceedure than pre pinning two pieces of
      > fabric toeather for sewing a seam.. It's stablizing fabric's shape before
      > cutting and to keep it that way you pin the taped edges togeahter then sew
      >
      > through the tape.. After sewing you remove the tape adn cnage your needle
      > or
      > at least wipe the sticy stuff off the needle with a bit of sewing machine
      > oil. Misht have to do this from tie to time while sewiing through tape.
      >
      > I haven't checked but I'd be willing to bet the local fabirc store has a
      > remveable stabilings tape avaible for a hefty price..
      > Yep, your right it's a pain in the derrier. Yikes more things to do.but
      > worth doing before certain stretcy fabric's become unmanagable making your
      >
      > seams become strange.
      > Beleive me wedding dress makers have a hard time with all the netted toole
      >
      > fabrics for veils and thoses funny poofy fluffly skirts.
      >
      > Rogene
      >
      > Easy to test go buy some very cheap wedding netting and cut it on the bias
      >
      > then try to keep it from warping while you sew the seams. Gets worse the
      > longer the seam is.
      > .
      >
      > >I am confused on the tape thing.......why use tape?

    • Scott
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 10, 2007
        Really? I was not aware of that. I was misinformed. So do I just pull the
        pins out before they go under the needle?

        --
        Scott
        www.AntiFuel.com

        On 6/10/07, amendment2@... <amendment2@...> wrote:

        > I presume you are talking about pins. Actually, you aren't supposed to
        > sew
        > over pins. Possible problems with sewing over pins are bent needles, and
        > throwing your machine timing out of alignment. Blue tape or green tape.
        >
        > <http://www.aol.com>

      • C C Wayah
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 10, 2007
          Most sewing with pins holding the fabric does not hit the needle but if you
          do it can mess up your machines timeing and break the machines needle.
          I've taken the chance and sewed over the pins for years but I did break
          several needles but now with the more sensitve and or easy to break machines
          I pull the pins just before they make it to the foot of the machine. I keep
          pin cushin velcroed to the top of my macnine for collecting the pins.
          Rogene
          .
          > Really? I was not aware of that. I was misinformed. So do I just pull
          > the
          > pins out before they go under the needle?
          >
          > --
          > Scott
          > www.AntiFuel.com
          > www.HikeHaven.com
          >
          > Minds are like parachutes, they only function when they are open.
          >
          > On 6/10/07, amendment2@... <amendment2@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> I presume you are talking about pins. Actually, you aren't supposed to
          >> sew
          >> over pins. Possible problems with sewing over pins are bent needles, and
          >> throwing your machine timing out of alignment. Blue tape or green tape.
          >>
          >> <http://www.aol.com>

        • C C Wayah
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 10, 2007
            > Would this work when trying to sew velcro to noseeum netting?
            Scott,
            I think it would. Remember to put the tape on the netting not the velcro
            then pin the velcro to the fabric. I perfer to tape beofr cutting and cut
            through the tape so the edges are stable.

            Another way to be sure it goes on smoothey is to hand base the velcro to the
            netting beofre you sew but that takes time to hand sew/base then sew with
            machine too.
            Picky people do this regurely with amost evey seam they sew. SO Boring and
            time consumeing but it does help
            to do this with patterns on the fabric your tyrint to match up or with
            delicate stretchy fabrics.

            I've sown some things pinned to newspaper.to kepp it stbalized too.
            Experiance of the types of fabirc is how
            I make the decion how to stableize them. Sometimes the patterns say to sew
            with things pinned to a newspaper but that was 40 years ago that I saw this
            direction on the pattern.
            It works quite well but I don't thnik it would work tith netting as it need
            to be stable before cutting the fabric
            not just when sewing a seam.

            Rogene
          • chcoa
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 12, 2007
              thanks everyone for the great suggestions regarding sewing the bug
              netting. I just need to make some time now and get hte project
              going.

              Rogene, yep I'm the one you bought the HH from. So glad to hear
              your husband likes it. I had sellers remorse for a while after
              parting with it. :)

              jamie

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...>