Re: [Hammock Camping] sewing no-see-um question

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 10, 2007
      I am confused on the tape thing.......why use tape? I just use needles.
      You can sew right over the needles without any issues. Most machines are
      designed for just that purpose. Tape seems like a pain in the neck.

      On 6/10/07, C C Wayah <ccwayah@...> wrote:

      > Jamie
      > use a new needle only so there little
      > chance of a rough needle snagging the bug netting.
      > Use only 100% polyester thread. Threads with cotton
      > tend to rot over time. I'd use a faiely fne needle proapby a ball point
      > needle too. No ball point needles tend to cut the fabric threads where
      > ball
      > points push the threads aside while sewing.
      >
      > Bug neeting tends to be stretchy especialy along the digaional cuts. Use
      > some blue painters tape where you are cutting before actualy applying the
      > sissors. This is only a sugestion but I'm thinking that this will prevent
      > the
      > distortion of the netting when cut and sewing. Sew over the painters tape
      > then remove the tape. I think masking tape won't come off as easily as
      > painters tape. I've not tired the painters tape but have done some sewing
      > with masking tape that worked but was hard remove
      > from the fabric.
      >
      > Good luck on your sewing project.
      > Jamie I think you must be the person I bough the Hennesy hammock with
      > super
      > shelter. My husband love it's warmth as he sleeps pretty cold while I use
      > his Hennesy
      > without all the supershelter gishmoes. Thankx so much for getting me into
      > Hennesy.
      >
      > Rogene.

    • C C Wayah
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 10, 2007
        Scot,
        You haven't worked with loose weaved fabric cut on the bis yet? where the
        fabric warps into strange shapes especially fabric like netting.
        Your not taping to hold the seams togeather for sewing your tapeing to keep
        the fabric from being shtretched out of shape or should I say deformed.
        Take a small piece of the netting and cut it diagionaly then give it a small
        tug diagionaly and you will see it curl up/or become miss shapened at times
        terrilby miss shapen then you will know.
        This is a entirely different proceedure than pre pinning two pieces of
        fabric toeather for sewing a seam.. It's stablizing fabric's shape before
        cutting and to keep it that way you pin the taped edges togeahter then sew
        through the tape.. After sewing you remove the tape adn cnage your needle or
        at least wipe the sticy stuff off the needle with a bit of sewing machine
        oil. Misht have to do this from tie to time while sewiing through tape.

        I haven't checked but I'd be willing to bet the local fabirc store has a
        remveable stabilings tape avaible for a hefty price..
        Yep, your right it's a pain in the derrier. Yikes more things to do.but
        worth doing before certain stretcy fabric's become unmanagable making your
        seams become strange.
        Beleive me wedding dress makers have a hard time with all the netted toole
        fabrics for veils and thoses funny poofy fluffly skirts.

        Rogene

        Easy to test go buy some very cheap wedding netting and cut it on the bias
        then try to keep it from warping while you sew the seams. Gets worse the
        longer the seam is.
        .

      • amendment2@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 10, 2007
          I presume you are talking about pins. Actually, you aren't supposed to sew
          over pins. Possible problems with sewing over pins are bent needles, and
          throwing your machine timing out of alignment. Blue tape or green tape.

        • Scott
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 10, 2007
            Ahhh, that makes sense now. I see how this would be very handy. I have not
            done much sewing.

            Would this work when trying to sew velcro to noseeum netting? I was having
            a heck of a time sewing velcro to my bug netting for my speer hammock. It
            just kept stretching like crazy.

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 10, 2007
              Really? I was not aware of that. I was misinformed. So do I just pull the
              pins out before they go under the needle?

              --
              Scott
              www.AntiFuel.com

              On 6/10/07, amendment2@... <amendment2@...> wrote:

              > I presume you are talking about pins. Actually, you aren't supposed to
              > sew
              > over pins. Possible problems with sewing over pins are bent needles, and
              > throwing your machine timing out of alignment. Blue tape or green tape.
              >
              > <http://www.aol.com>

            • C C Wayah
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 10, 2007
                Most sewing with pins holding the fabric does not hit the needle but if you
                do it can mess up your machines timeing and break the machines needle.
                I've taken the chance and sewed over the pins for years but I did break
                several needles but now with the more sensitve and or easy to break machines
                I pull the pins just before they make it to the foot of the machine. I keep
                pin cushin velcroed to the top of my macnine for collecting the pins.
                Rogene
                .
                > Really? I was not aware of that. I was misinformed. So do I just pull
                > the
                > pins out before they go under the needle?
                >
                > --
                > Scott
                > www.AntiFuel.com
                > www.HikeHaven.com
                >
                > Minds are like parachutes, they only function when they are open.
                >
                > On 6/10/07, amendment2@... <amendment2@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> I presume you are talking about pins. Actually, you aren't supposed to
                >> sew
                >> over pins. Possible problems with sewing over pins are bent needles, and
                >> throwing your machine timing out of alignment. Blue tape or green tape.
                >>
                >> <http://www.aol.com>

              • C C Wayah
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 10, 2007
                  > Would this work when trying to sew velcro to noseeum netting?
                  Scott,
                  I think it would. Remember to put the tape on the netting not the velcro
                  then pin the velcro to the fabric. I perfer to tape beofr cutting and cut
                  through the tape so the edges are stable.

                  Another way to be sure it goes on smoothey is to hand base the velcro to the
                  netting beofre you sew but that takes time to hand sew/base then sew with
                  machine too.
                  Picky people do this regurely with amost evey seam they sew. SO Boring and
                  time consumeing but it does help
                  to do this with patterns on the fabric your tyrint to match up or with
                  delicate stretchy fabrics.

                  I've sown some things pinned to newspaper.to kepp it stbalized too.
                  Experiance of the types of fabirc is how
                  I make the decion how to stableize them. Sometimes the patterns say to sew
                  with things pinned to a newspaper but that was 40 years ago that I saw this
                  direction on the pattern.
                  It works quite well but I don't thnik it would work tith netting as it need
                  to be stable before cutting the fabric
                  not just when sewing a seam.

                  Rogene
                • chcoa
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 12, 2007
                    thanks everyone for the great suggestions regarding sewing the bug
                    netting. I just need to make some time now and get hte project
                    going.

                    Rogene, yep I'm the one you bought the HH from. So glad to hear
                    your husband likes it. I had sellers remorse for a while after
                    parting with it. :)

                    jamie

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...>