Re: [Hammock Camping] sewing no-see-um question

  • C C Wayah
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 9, 2007
      Jamie
      use a new needle only so there little
      chance of a rough needle snagging the bug netting.
      Use only 100% polyester thread. Threads with cotton
      tend to rot over time. I'd use a faiely fne needle proapby a ball point
      needle too. No ball point needles tend to cut the fabric threads where ball
      points push the threads aside while sewing.

      Bug neeting tends to be stretchy especialy along the digaional cuts. Use
      some blue painters tape where you are cutting before actualy applying the
      sissors. This is only a sugestion but I'm thinking that this will prevent
      the
      distortion of the netting when cut and sewing. Sew over the painters tape
      then remove the tape. I think masking tape won't come off as easily as
      painters tape. I've not tired the painters tape but have done some sewing
      with masking tape that worked but was hard remove
      from the fabric.

      Good luck on your sewing project.
      Jamie I think you must be the person I bough the Hennesy hammock with super
      shelter. My husband love it's warmth as he sleeps pretty cold while I use
      his Hennesy
      without all the supershelter gishmoes. Thankx so much for getting me into a
      Hennesy.

      Rogene.

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 10, 2007
        I am confused on the tape thing.......why use tape? I just use needles.
        You can sew right over the needles without any issues. Most machines are
        designed for just that purpose. Tape seems like a pain in the neck.

        On 6/10/07, C C Wayah <ccwayah@...> wrote:

        > Jamie
        > use a new needle only so there little
        > chance of a rough needle snagging the bug netting.
        > Use only 100% polyester thread. Threads with cotton
        > tend to rot over time. I'd use a faiely fne needle proapby a ball point
        > needle too. No ball point needles tend to cut the fabric threads where
        > ball
        > points push the threads aside while sewing.
        >
        > Bug neeting tends to be stretchy especialy along the digaional cuts. Use
        > some blue painters tape where you are cutting before actualy applying the
        > sissors. This is only a sugestion but I'm thinking that this will prevent
        > the
        > distortion of the netting when cut and sewing. Sew over the painters tape
        > then remove the tape. I think masking tape won't come off as easily as
        > painters tape. I've not tired the painters tape but have done some sewing
        > with masking tape that worked but was hard remove
        > from the fabric.
        >
        > Good luck on your sewing project.
        > Jamie I think you must be the person I bough the Hennesy hammock with
        > super
        > shelter. My husband love it's warmth as he sleeps pretty cold while I use
        > his Hennesy
        > without all the supershelter gishmoes. Thankx so much for getting me into
        > Hennesy.
        >
        > Rogene.

      • C C Wayah
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 10, 2007
          Scot,
          You haven't worked with loose weaved fabric cut on the bis yet? where the
          fabric warps into strange shapes especially fabric like netting.
          Your not taping to hold the seams togeather for sewing your tapeing to keep
          the fabric from being shtretched out of shape or should I say deformed.
          Take a small piece of the netting and cut it diagionaly then give it a small
          tug diagionaly and you will see it curl up/or become miss shapened at times
          terrilby miss shapen then you will know.
          This is a entirely different proceedure than pre pinning two pieces of
          fabric toeather for sewing a seam.. It's stablizing fabric's shape before
          cutting and to keep it that way you pin the taped edges togeahter then sew
          through the tape.. After sewing you remove the tape adn cnage your needle or
          at least wipe the sticy stuff off the needle with a bit of sewing machine
          oil. Misht have to do this from tie to time while sewiing through tape.

          I haven't checked but I'd be willing to bet the local fabirc store has a
          remveable stabilings tape avaible for a hefty price..
          Yep, your right it's a pain in the derrier. Yikes more things to do.but
          worth doing before certain stretcy fabric's become unmanagable making your
          seams become strange.
          Beleive me wedding dress makers have a hard time with all the netted toole
          fabrics for veils and thoses funny poofy fluffly skirts.

          Rogene

          Easy to test go buy some very cheap wedding netting and cut it on the bias
          then try to keep it from warping while you sew the seams. Gets worse the
          longer the seam is.
          .

        • amendment2@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 10, 2007
            I presume you are talking about pins. Actually, you aren't supposed to sew
            over pins. Possible problems with sewing over pins are bent needles, and
            throwing your machine timing out of alignment. Blue tape or green tape.

          • Scott
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 10, 2007
              Ahhh, that makes sense now. I see how this would be very handy. I have not
              done much sewing.

              Would this work when trying to sew velcro to noseeum netting? I was having
              a heck of a time sewing velcro to my bug netting for my speer hammock. It
              just kept stretching like crazy.

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 10, 2007
                Really? I was not aware of that. I was misinformed. So do I just pull the
                pins out before they go under the needle?

                --
                Scott
                www.AntiFuel.com

                On 6/10/07, amendment2@... <amendment2@...> wrote:

                > I presume you are talking about pins. Actually, you aren't supposed to
                > sew
                > over pins. Possible problems with sewing over pins are bent needles, and
                > throwing your machine timing out of alignment. Blue tape or green tape.
                >
                > <http://www.aol.com>

              • C C Wayah
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 10, 2007
                  Most sewing with pins holding the fabric does not hit the needle but if you
                  do it can mess up your machines timeing and break the machines needle.
                  I've taken the chance and sewed over the pins for years but I did break
                  several needles but now with the more sensitve and or easy to break machines
                  I pull the pins just before they make it to the foot of the machine. I keep
                  pin cushin velcroed to the top of my macnine for collecting the pins.
                  Rogene
                  .
                  > Really? I was not aware of that. I was misinformed. So do I just pull
                  > the
                  > pins out before they go under the needle?
                  >
                  > --
                  > Scott
                  > www.AntiFuel.com
                  > www.HikeHaven.com
                  >
                  > Minds are like parachutes, they only function when they are open.
                  >
                  > On 6/10/07, amendment2@... <amendment2@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> I presume you are talking about pins. Actually, you aren't supposed to
                  >> sew
                  >> over pins. Possible problems with sewing over pins are bent needles, and
                  >> throwing your machine timing out of alignment. Blue tape or green tape.
                  >>
                  >> <http://www.aol.com>

                • C C Wayah
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 10, 2007
                    > Would this work when trying to sew velcro to noseeum netting?
                    Scott,
                    I think it would. Remember to put the tape on the netting not the velcro
                    then pin the velcro to the fabric. I perfer to tape beofr cutting and cut
                    through the tape so the edges are stable.

                    Another way to be sure it goes on smoothey is to hand base the velcro to the
                    netting beofre you sew but that takes time to hand sew/base then sew with
                    machine too.
                    Picky people do this regurely with amost evey seam they sew. SO Boring and
                    time consumeing but it does help
                    to do this with patterns on the fabric your tyrint to match up or with
                    delicate stretchy fabrics.

                    I've sown some things pinned to newspaper.to kepp it stbalized too.
                    Experiance of the types of fabirc is how
                    I make the decion how to stableize them. Sometimes the patterns say to sew
                    with things pinned to a newspaper but that was 40 years ago that I saw this
                    direction on the pattern.
                    It works quite well but I don't thnik it would work tith netting as it need
                    to be stable before cutting the fabric
                    not just when sewing a seam.

                    Rogene
                  • chcoa
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 12, 2007
                      thanks everyone for the great suggestions regarding sewing the bug
                      netting. I just need to make some time now and get hte project
                      going.

                      Rogene, yep I'm the one you bought the HH from. So glad to hear
                      your husband likes it. I had sellers remorse for a while after
                      parting with it. :)

                      jamie

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...>